Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do you all feel about 1/4 scale trainers?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do you all feel about 1/4 scale trainers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 05:36 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you all feel about 1/4 scale trainers?

The Kadet Sr i one of the best trainers ever designed. No problem at all when someone wants to start with that plane.

I'll recommend one deviation from the plans... stack the ribs and use a Forstner bit or sharpened brass tube to drill appx 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes, with centers appx /4 inch behind the main spar. If you decide to install ailerons later, these will give you a way to route the servo wires without ripping half the covering off the wings.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:58 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The ARF hasn't been on the market long enough for too many to have gotten in the air yet.

Sorry... But it may be a while before there's anyone to advise about differences between the ARF and "stick-n-glue" versions.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your choice is certainly acceptable. My only objection to the Sig Kadet is that, when you learn without ailerons, you will pick up some bad habits that you will have to correct when you start flying aileron equiped planes. The biggest one is that, on the stock Kadet, you have to hold the rudder to continue into a turn. With ailerons, you learn to bank with the ailerons and use elevator to make the turn after backing off on the ailerons. Try that turn you make with the Kadet on a plane that uses ailerons and it will roll over on its back. Now, if you build your Sig Kadet from scratch and remove most of the dihedral and add ailerons, it makes a great trainer but not as easy for the absolute beginner to fly. An even better big trainer is the Senior Telemaster but that requires a lot of building and lots of storage and transportation space. If you have the space and the transportation capability, I'd recommend the Sr. Telemaster over the Kadet.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:25 PM
FHHuber
Banned

It really doesn't hurt to learn that different planes behave differently as you progress to more advanced aircraft.

People who don't understand the correct way to handle a 3-ch often do make the mistake of believing you have to hold rudder to keep turning. The dihedral causes yaw-roll coupling. Initially the plane will yaw, then begine to bank and the nose will drop. add elevator and let off of the rudder and the plane will hold the bank quite nicely. (sounds almost like an aileron turn...) When the new heading is achieved (slightly before...) opposite rudder and a touch of don elevator are needed. The nose tends to rise comming out of a turn, and effect of the banking by yaw to roll coupling. (but you often need a touch of down elevator comming out of a bank with a 4 ch plane anyway...)

I've stood 3-ch planes on a wingtip and held them there with just elevator... doing a tight circle. If you are careful, you can almost hold knife-edge flight, with no ailerons. (down elevator can invert the yaw-roll coupling.)