Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Bi-plane as second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Bi-plane as second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM
R!aan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bi-plane as second plane?

Sorry, my stuffs confusing. In Dubai a trainer with an engine and servos is DHS3500 equavalent to about $980 ish and that is if you know the guys at the hobby shop, most of their stuff is overpriced. I have a Transmitter, reiciever, a charger (Nicd&Nimh) and I have glue etc. The Pitts is a short kit that I intended to build over a long time the Short kit was $225, and the Goal was Bassically to build the Plane, but I have decided to drop that for very obvious reasons. I am now going to go with a trainer KIT, and I'm looking at the Sig Kadet LT 40. I Don't intend to have everything happen over night But as far as I have gone at the moment The Sig Kadet is "Within My budget" (did take into acount shipping, have bought R/C stuff from the USA before) The plane is mainly a project for the Summer, I'm only into the first week of my Summer Vacation, and it is 48degrees + outside heading towards 53 ish, so i will mainly be building Sorry for the confustion Gray Beard!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
ameyam

That's another good point, Gray Beard, against bipes as second airplanes. You need additional servos, ectensions and other hardware for the upper wing.

When I bought the Reactor (in scratch-&dent, mind you) for $150, I took 3010 servos in bulk for 18 or so dollars each and I took the remaining off my trainer. It was still more expensive than buying anything local but I got a far superior produce. Sometimes you have to weigh that in your purchase decision. And, No, I am not into 50cc yet

Getting back to the topic, bipes are more expensive in the first place, easier to convert to matchsticks, need more hardwork on the setup and after all that are smaller and more difficult to fly. Not characteristics desirable in a second airplane.

LT-40 is a good kit, I have flown it though not the Sig one. I took a Phoenix Tiger for my second and never was comfortable with it- characteristics of that airplane I guess. Went quickly to a Phoenix Topstar I got used (similat to Twist 3D) and loved it so much I picked up a new one that was the last box in the LHS. But I hated that, with the 75AX deadsticking in it, I had to repair every week so I took a Reactor and thoroughly enjoyed it for the short time I flew it. Again, I missed Topstar so this year I put a FS-91 SII on it and it finally settled the airplane. Then the field was shut for 4 months this year due to political reasons and then the Monsoon. I will get back to these in the Winter when flying restarts. Note all these are monoplanes and both Reactor and Topstar are fear-free to fly due to their low speed characteristics.

Ameyam
Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM
R!aan

Gray Beard,
Do you think the uproar will work for me? I quite like it, and it looks like a nice plane to build!
It is intended for quite a light wing loading which is good and I am assuming (but pretty sure) That it is quite nippy and not really a "Bigginers sort of plane..
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Red B.

My second aircraft happened to be a bipe, a Box Fly 20 from Pilot. It was a very simple biplane powered by a .25 engine and it flew very well since it was light and had a lot of wing area. However, I do not recommend an Ultimate, Skybolt or even a Hog Bipe as a second aircraft. Bipe flying is not difficult but it takes some experience. Orientation may be a problem for the novice.

Adding weight to a monoplane in order to mimic the behavior of a bipe as somebody suggested in an earlier post is not the way to go. The main difference between a mono- and a biplane is that the latter has a much worse lift to drag ratio, i.e., a lot more drag compared to the monoplane. The wing loading however is often quite low. Adding weight to a monoplane does not significantly alter the lift to drag ratio, instead it increases the wing loading and thus the stall speed.

Landing a bipe is quit simple, in fact it is often simpler than landing a monoplane because the bipe has a rather steep approach, i.e., it does not "float". The one rule one has to obey is to maintain airspeed. Do this by keeping the nose down and one can let the engien run at idle speed without stalling the aircraft.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know, I have never seen you fly so I can't say. I got away with the URs and was told I wouldn't be able to do it??? I wouldn't advise the UR unless I saw how well the pilot flew his trainer. Try a trainer on the buddy box and it will be an eye opener and you can decide for yourself. I posted a couple of bipes I built, I have my fat butt in the photos so you can see the size of the planes. The Boeing F4B-2 was a scratch built, I still have it, flew it at IMAA events, it's a slug and it's hanging on my wall right now. The Blue one is a 66 inch Tiger Moth. If you must have a bipe then this is the one I would say build!! It will do stunts but it will fly like a trainer. That's what it was, a flight trainer for fighter pilots. A very good first bipe. The TM was built from a kit, a very old kit!! The Krier Kraft is another scratch built plane, it's smaller and this is anything but a trainer. You better be up on that pilot stuff if you fly anything like this one. I just brought up the UR because the kits are cheap, it uses cheap servos and cheap engine. They aren't hard to fly as stunt planes go but it can and will get away from a pilot. It does everything but nothing really well, it's a good stunt trainer and if you plant it you aren't out a lot of money. No one can answer what you can and can't fly without seeing how you handle a trainer!! Buddy Box then decide how good you think you are. It's all up to you. First bipe, I really like the Tiger Moths, it's a very honest plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34307.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1465213   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43327.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1465214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84295.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1465215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99612.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1465216  
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 AM
R!aan

That tiger moth looks nice!Well done Gray beard.
Today is Thursday here, equivalent to a Sunday in Other Places (tomorrow is Friday, equivalent to Saterday and Sunday is monday etc)so I will see if me and my dad could mayebe drop by the Club and see how the membership works etc. just for an Idea and mostly because I really want to see the planes fly I think I read about R/C flying lessons on one of The Dubai Club sites, I will also check that out If I can't get someone willing to help.Well as you said I have to know how well I fly first so I think I will first try to fly the Trainers then see how it goes.
Thanks a Lot guys!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 AM
djay

Hi Riaan.

I fly at Nad Al Sheba on Saturday mornings and Al Lisali on Friday mornings.

You are always welcome to come along to either, and talk to us, or fly with us.

Do not go to Nad Al Sheba on a Friday to fly, as there is no disipline or common sense used there, and it can be a dangerous place with some of the idiots flying there. No frequency control, flying in and over the pits, taxying out of control in the pits, etc, etc,

The best thing to do is buy a trainer from the Dragon Mart, or from toys are us, about 600 - 800 dirhams,(about $200) and fit your engine and radio to it, then come along and let one of us buddy box you untill you have a feel for flying it.

I would not recommend a Pitts untill you can fly your trainer with your eyes closed ( figure of speech ) They are not difficult to fly, it is the rapid responce to the controls that will be the issue.

At Al Lisaili, we fly everything from park flyers to Jet turbines, so there will always be something for you to see flying.

Drop me a reply if you are interested, we are at the club from about 6.00 in the morning onwards

Darryl
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I'm a kit builder and a flyer..to give some perspective...before I built my first Goldberg Ultimate biplane I had already built numerous control line models (some with full fuselages), a Midwest Aerostar, a GP Ugly stick, a Goldberg Electra, and a GP Ultra Sport .40

After this, I was ready for the Ultimate both building and flying. Now I've got two of them.