Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Coming soon to the US

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Coming soon to the US

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 AM
skromfols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coming soon to the US

Hankytalk, you seem to be a very skilled craftsman and I'm sure you can find employment here in the US. Your English isn't perfect, but it's easy to understand what you're saying, and it will improve if you move here and use English daily. There are many places for you to choose from, but you might want to consider the silicone valley, as JP Gale has suggested. I spent 6 years in Germany, living just outside Heidelberg, and so I am fairly familiar with the lifestyle, and it's not really that different from San Jose and the San Francisco Bay Area. What you might want to do is select 3 or 4 locations that you think might suit you and provide you with adequate employment, then take a holiday and come over and visit each to see what you thought of them. I'm sure you can find something that you really like.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm in Fort Worth, TX. There is Lockheed Martin with a huge defense contract here, along with a ton of smaller companies. A friend's machine shop was on TLC's "Dirty Jobs" for a shredder they built for a recycling plant in New Jersey. There's lots of construction here and it's an inexpensive city to live in. Flying fields everywhere too.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM
428CJ

Gutan Tag Hankytalk, wie gehts?

Don't forget about the grand state of Wisconsin! We have the 4 seasons, lots of German heritage, great beer, and a lot of RC flight clubs around.

I grew up in this fine state and will never leave.

-dave
Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: Hankytalk
I do not like to live in Florida, there are just to much foreigner and Crime.

I grow up I a small little town and don’t know how to handle that crime.
Ummm...there are many small towns in Florida with low crime rates when you get away from the coastal areas. There is no state income tax in Florida either.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

With talent like yours you can apply to any large corporation and get a job. Just show them the pictures of your CNC mill/router you designed and built. Hang on to your equipment, you won't be able to replace it here very cheap, and now is as good a time as any to exchange your money as the dollar is very weak in Europe now. I believe the rate of exchange is $1.50 to 1 Euro. If you decide to work for Boeing in Washington State look me up! If you can knock those planes out fast enough you can make a good living selling those. Anyway, Welcome to America and Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Hankytalk

Hi,

Well let me say something about the last few postings.

@ JPGale

Reply: being the heart of silicone valley it is expensive, but the local economy is very good and you might be able to find something here.

I am agree with you it is expensive and in because the responsibility for my son I rather should look for a cheaper place to live, I don’t like to spent all my reserve money while looking for a Job, I waste 1 ½ years by searching a job here in Germany but all what they told me… I to old, I am to expensive, I am no elastic because I can’t work late ore nightshifts (W.T.F Who take’s care my son).

Could u believe that some of the foreigners in Germany are going home just because they don’t get enough money for the work, even the foreigner which just came for Seasons Work to Germany going to other Countries ore Woking in the one land because they get much better paid for!!!

What I try to show u is the situation which is going on in Germany and u might be right if u say that I might be able to find a job… but it’s just a “might” and not seriously.
I don’t like to get under pressure and taking a job (like MC or Burger king) which isn’t well paid and incommensurable whit the job that I had learn in Germany just because I have no other opportunity to pay my bills.

Anyhow I don’t think that I will lave Germany without a concrete Job offer, the only thing that I can do is to make applications, applications, applications……

@ Skromfols

Reply: Hankytalk, you seem to be a very skilled craftsman and I'm sure you can find employment here in the US. Your English isn't perfect, but it's easy to understand what you're saying, and it will improve if you move here and use English daily.

Well I Hope so otherwise it will be better for me and my son to say in Germany because the benefits which I’ve got here, it doesn’t matter what happen to me in Germany but I am a afraid about the things which could happen in the States.

Buy this way… THX for the judgment about my English, it gives me Hope

Reply: What you might want to do is select 3 or 4 locations that you think might suit you and provide you with adequate employment, then take a holiday and come over and visit each to see what you thought of them.

Hey I would love to do this but you forget the fact that I am a lonely parent and there is nobody else to take care for my son, so I use to take my son whit me but that’s also not impossible because he have to visit the school every day.

Anyhow, as long the unemployment insurance pay’s me.. I am not authorize to make vacation in the foreign countries, the last journey to my father was a exceptional case because he lay in the hospital, if I would do a second journey to the US just to find a new living place for my son and me there will cancel the insurance eminently an the money that I already saved for our future in the States will get lost (day by day and month by month) form this moment on.

@ Jester S1

Replay: I'm in Fort Worth, TX. There is Lockheed Martin with a huge defense contract here, along with a ton of smaller companies.

Once upon a time, there was a little boy, he dream to work on big Planes, flight them and Service them… but all what I has reached was to build up an controls Model planes.

Well he never stops to dream about that.

Hey I tell u what, just view weeks ago I thinking about to make a Application to the biggest Plane junkyard in the USA (Tucson Arizona), I though… ok, I never had the opportunity to built up real Planes, how about to strip down old planes, it’s much easier to do this as to handle all the new different units (Yards, feet, inch and what else).

But then I thought… Tucson is just to close to the Mexican border and I don’t like to haggle for the cheapest job offering.

If I thinking about Texas I also thinking about rattlesnakes, and believe me or not… I am afraid of poison snakes, especially if u has 3 Cats.

The weather in Texas would be nice for me, I don’t like it rainy, could and gloomy but I also don’t like it too hot.

@428CJ

Replay: Gutan Tag Hankytalk, wie gehts?

Don't forget about the grand state of Wisconsin! We have the 4 seasons, lots of German heritage, great beer, and a lot of RC flight clubs around.

I grew up in this fine state and will never leave.

Hey Dave how is it going, Heidelberg it’s just around the corner ( about 20 miles ), I would love to say in a country which have good beer, but I beg u patron… I don’t like to say with drunken Germans ( lol )

Anyhow, I also don’t like to Stay whit drunken US-Citizen, I had learn in the NCO Clubs and other discotheque that the Soldier doesn’t feel good if there isn’t some broken Glass on the floor ( if u know what I am saying ).

But nice to be greeting in the German language, thank you much you welcome.

I thing Wisconsin have the same weather as Germany have, but I don’t like it this way, u have to know that I be troubled with migraine attacks in the last 6 years and this is a matter oft the ridicules weather which we got here, two seasons will be perfect for me , anyhow, I don’t like cold feet

Amsonsten, mir geht es gut, hat mich ungeheuer gefreut auch mal was Deutsches hier zulesen, es ist saumässig anstrengen für mich ausschlisslich in Englisch zu schreiben da ich dies nie gelernt habe.

@ Cutaway

Replay: Ummm...there are many small towns in Florida with low crime rates when you get away from the coastal areas. There is no state income tax in Florida either.

Say what, how comes that the people doesn’t have to Paid Tax for the income, in Germany u have to paid every where, is that just in Florida or in other States too ??

Well Florida would be a nice living place, but it is just too expensive and ok… I agree whit u, the sunny side of live will always have more crime.

@ Al Lewis

Replay: Hang on to your equipment, you won't be able to replace it here very cheap

I like to Lewis, but that’s not any longer a question of what I like to keep, it’s a question of rationality, to order and paid a See box (6 cubic meter ) cost me 3500 € ( just for example Germany to Tennessee ) this will be 5250.- US bucks , I think u agree with me if I would say that quite too much.

OK, this offer isn’t the last choice there are several other company’s which could made me a better offer, I will go for it and try to found the cheapest, but I also check the possibility to buy an new Machine.

A New Machine whit Servo Motors (which are much better and faster as my Stepper Motors System), in nearly the same Dimension cost me 7670 US-Bucks.

Take a look to KG3925GTHK and select on the Servo controller the (3 Axis Controller….)

http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/products.asp?cat=26

So if I could sale my Machine here in Germany for about 1500 Europe Bucks I will not loose something and I could buy me a faster one in the States, but that’s just a matter of fact of the See box Price.

Replay: I believe the rate of exchange is $1.50 to 1 Euro

Yes it is but… the prognosis for the Dollar exchange is going down further, some Business man says that the dollar will be arrive an exchange to 1.60 in the next year, it could be wiser for me to keep cool and wait for an better exchange.

Replay: If you decide to work for Boeing in Washington State look me up!

OK. So what’s up, what’s the deal, how could I under strut this, is it a concrete Job proposal which u made?

Sorry I do not like to ask this here in the thread but you disable the function E-Mail and PN .

Ok, I come to an end, as I told u Guy’s, I will read ever thing, just give me some time to make a replay.

Wish u all a nice X-Mass and I hope u Wife’s putt something for the Flying field Dow under the Christmas tree.

Bye bye
Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 AM
tbose36

western part of maryland,great place,within 5 miles of two other states,west virgina,penn.we have some great clubs here and also some good jobs alot of machining jobs,mantenice jobs also a couple companies rebuild machines,shavers,hobs,lathes.etc.we have several lebarre griners and hobb machines in are factory.where have a a great guy and a good flyer at are field that is a german gentleman and run a business here.our schools ,I think in the new paper I seen where 4 of are schools were rated in the top 100 in the country.good luck with your search.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Hankytalk

Hi @ tbose36

My father stays many years in Maryland, now he live in Virginia Honaker but allways thinking about going back, I should talk with him about that.
How is the weather in wintertime’s ?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 PM
tbose36

the temps this year started out around the 40 to 50 in nov,right now it is 33 degs,but stay around the lower 40's to mid 30's though febuary.but we still fly here,start a fire in the fire pit and fly couple hours.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Hankytalk

Wow that’s nearly zero Celsius sound like hardcore to me, well we make every New Year ( on the 01.01 ) something like a Party , having Barbecue and thinking mulled wine on the flying field.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

After the flights
Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 AM
skromfols

Hankytalk, you mentioned that you live near Heidelberg, which town? I lived in St. Leon-Rot for 5 years and worked in both Heidelberg and Seckenheim. We had a small flying field just outside of St. Leon where they flew almost every week. I was very impressed with the building and flying skills of the guys there.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Hankytalk

Hi Skromfols, i live in a small little Town name Friedrichstal, it’s a part of Stutensee area an close to Bruchsal, i’ve been flying several times in St,Leon-rot as an guest pilot but I belong to two other Model sports Club, one of those clubs are in Stutensee – Spöck and the other is located in Hockenheim.

The Flying field in Spöck isn’t a big thing, especially at the time when the farmers have to bite the asparagus, there are many asparagus fields around the Runway and if they bite the Asparagus (from marc till end to the June) we could not fly because of our Club Safety regulations.
So at this particular time it happen that u drive to the flying field, build up your Plane and then…… some of the Farmers starts to work at the fields.

The Club in the area Hockenheim which I joining copula years ago doesn’t have this kind of problems, they have a large runway and fine guy’s, if u fly in St. Leon before u may know the guy Herbert Fuchs, he’s the one which produce Carbons Props here in Germany and a friend of mine, he also is a member of the Club in Hockenheim.
I remember that he talken about an American Citizen before which fly and associate whit him many years ago, are u the one?

Well anyhow, I just was joining the Club in Hockenheim because I don’t like to fly small Planes anymore, I like the big Planes whit Gasoline Engines Up to 240 ccm .
Down under u could see a Pic from this Place which I made with Googel Earth.

Ok, I have to do something, there is a Company in Duncan SC calls Atlantic, this factory Produce Packing Systems for Food, Furniture and what ever, I like to try to get in to this company because I was well trained in this Job, so I should just go ahead and send them a application, SC would be nice to live “so I think “and it will be not so way off Kingsport TN and Honaker VA.
See ya

Werner

Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM
skromfols

Werner, I didn't fly RC in Germany because my job and other things took up most of my time. But I used to go out to the field in St. Leon and watch them fly. I wish you the best of luck in finding good employment in the USA. I'm sure that you'll find something that fits your skills, and will allow you to move here and enjoy flying RC in the USA.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 PM
KCJarman

Ever thought about driving a truck Werner????? 18 Wheeler.....

$35,000.00 to $40,000.00 a year starting..... You would need a valid US License in the State that you move to and live in. Schneider National will provide all your training for you and give you a job. If you live in the Indiana or Kentucky area you can have a job that will get you home most week nights, but you would still have to stay in the truck a few nights a week.

It's just a thought..... Seeing as I am a recruiter for Schneider National.... I'm always looking for a good driver...

If your interested you can find out more here.

www.schneiderjobs.com/jarmank
Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

I was born and raised in San Jose California and lived and worked in its neighboring cities of Campbell, Los Gatos and Santa Clara. I’ve been a Journeyman Machinist most of my life and even owned my own shop for ten years that I sold for a nice profit in 1999. The Bay Area or Silicon Valley Is the last place I think I’d go, it’s so expensive to live here and business are choked with regulations and fees. It’s hard to get in to management in large companies or government here unless you have a degree. Funny thing is it doesn’t seem to matter what kind of a degree (like under water basket weaving) you may get the job, however if you have years of pertinent work experience your out of luck.

The good news is we haven’t lost too many jobs here, the buildings that once had hi-tech mfg jobs are now filled with Chinese goods and employ many warehouse workers. I now live here Sacramento Ca because I want to close to my family, If not for that I would be OUTA HERE! If you have the resources I would buy a used RV and travel the central area of the US for 6 months or so and when you find the “home” you will just know. This is my dream ….some day.

PS
We are loosing flying sites here too.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Hankytalk

Hi,

@ KCJarman

Replay:
Ever thought about driving a truck Werner????? 18 Wheeler.....

$35,000.00 to $40,000.00 a year starting..... You would need a valid US License in the State that you move to and live in. Schneider National will provide all your training for you and give you a job. If you live in the Indiana or Kentucky area you can have a job that will get you home most week nights, but you would still have to stay in the truck a few nights a week.

It's just a thought..... Seeing as I am a recruiter for Schneider National.... I'm always looking for a good driver...

Well… thanks for this Job Offering, I already have a looter experience with Trucks, since 1984 I’ve got the German Truck License.

1984 to 1986 Civilian Support Group US-Army Trucks like 2 ½ t, 5 t, M915.

Transporting of live ammunition like conventional & chemical argent all over Germany.

1986 to 1988 Tank-Truck (Exxo)

Supplied Service station with gasoline & diesel
Supplied several Firms with bitumen.

But… as I saying before, I am not able to lave my son alone, anyway, I do not like to drive anymore because of the accident which I’ve got by transport ting Gasoline.

@ freakingfast

Replay:
I now live here Sacramento Ca because I want to close to my family, If not for that I would be OUTA HERE! If you have the resources I would buy a used RV and travel the central area of the US for 6 months or so and when you find the “home” you will just know. This is my dream ….some day.

Let me outa her is what I also saying since I lost my job, I am bored this Land and I don’t like to see W.T.F is going on here, ok our Gourmet will pay me some money if I could not get a job ( and that’s the big different to the US) , but with this money u could not live as well, no quality… and It is almost to much to dying, to get a well pained job?! Just for get about it !!

I will not stay here any longer just because of the whole German Family, it’s time to wake up and to do something for my own.
I don't like to stay without perspectives and unsatisfying requires in this Land, that’s why I try to make a new beginning in the states, sale everything, just turn around and let all the Trash behind me.

Well as u saying, I would Love to travel around to find MY DREAM, I also have the resources, but I also have a son which uses to go to the school and make an secondary school qualifications, otherwise he will not be able to find a good Job in the future.

To day I had seen an job announcement I your area, they like to have a journeyman Machinist, I will try to get in touch with them.

See ya

Werner
Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Hankytalk

Hi @ all

Well… a long time have past by since i been in her, my Computer was brake down and i had no time to fix it because I am just to busy at this time, I made a SPS Simatic S7 Course (12 Weeks) and in the next view weeks I have to make an CNC-Course for lathe and millingmaschiens.

And there are the good News….. I’ve got a job in the States, my new Home will be located in Shout Carolina ( Summerville- Charleston ), the Company over there is a German Factory, so in the next 6 or 8 months I will get trained in Germany and after this Training they send me to the US.

What else could is say…. Make my Day [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

I hope I could find some nice flying fields in Summerville, is der anybuddy else from Summerville ore Charleston ?

C-Yaa

Werner
Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
skromfols

Werner, Congratulations and the very best of luck to you in your training and your new job. I hope you find a great club near by to fly with and can make new friends and enjoy this great opportunity. Welcome to the United States.

Stan
Old 05-28-2008, 05:31 PM
rockerdude22

ORIGINAL: alex7403

CGRetired, in NJ the roads are wonderful and the drivers are not bad at all, and the police don’t stop you for BS (knock on wood) I drove in 4 continents.

HAHA, knock on wood, I was just talking about that with my friends last weekend. Im pretty sure you would say it like this "... and the police dont stop you for BS, ive never been stopped for BS (knock on wood)"

your supposed to state that that thing hasnt happend to you.

just my 2 cents =)

Tyler
Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Gary L.

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Re: Flying fields on EPA landfill areas.

CGr
Thats what we have here, only problem is they are still using it, but it only cost us $2.00 a year.
When they get done with it we'll have a real nice place.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Back in the 1980's, the 3 highest density areas for high tech companies were, (1) Silicon Valley , Ca, (2) Raleih Durham NC triangle, (3) the Knoxville beltway.

Since then, high tech has proliferated all over America. You can find skilled work just about anywhere you want. I think you need to consider other things also. Do you want to live near the Mountains ? Smokys, Rockies, Cascades ? Near the Ocean ? Near cultural centers ? Warm climate ? Cold ? Swift rivers ? Do you sail ? Fish ? Ski ? Hunt ? Camp ? Hike ? Kayak ?

In some places a house cost $150k. The same house in other towns might cost $300k. Some states , (nearly all) have income tax. A few do not. There are plenty of variables to consider. But I think you will find that immigrants are generally accepted in America. Thats kind of our claim to fame. Of course in Texas, anyone not from Texas, is an immigrant

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I won't even mention Oklahoma, because I know what Mike's gonna say about us!!!!

Unlike Michigan we have 4 different seasons here in Oklahoma. Hot, hotter, still hot, and Christmas!!!!!

Ken
Up here in the big city we have atleast one cold time per winter where everything gets coated with 3 inches of ice.

We have lots of German areas in Oklahoma, McAlister is famous for its history of different emmigrants and the good food they brought with them. My wife works with a German lady that married an Air Force guy while he was stationed in Germany. I personally can't wait to find time to speek German. There are lots of local clubs here in the metro area, and plenty of good hobby shops to get stuff from. I believe your skills could be put to work here, but I am not sure how you would search for a job. I know it's cheap to live here, and we are the No. 1 most recession proof city in America according to Forbe's magazine. We also have one of the cheapest average price of gas in the nation. Good Luck finding a new home!

Oops, I see you found a job. I posted without reading everything. Congrats and welcome to the USA!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HankyTalk,
I just caught this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. I work in the Industrial Automation industry and specialize in Motion Control within the Packaging Industry. I work with Companies like Robert Bosche (SIG packaging, TevoPharm, Hassia, etc.)and other very large corporations and can tell you that South Carolina is good(Greenvile/Spartanberg), but if you have expertise in packaging, the Minneapolis, MN (specifically, Alexandria, MN) is home to a large number of good companies that are in your line of work. I know IWK, but most of their subsidiaries are either in Germany or in other portions of America, and I don't touch them much. Good luck on your journey here to the United States. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to send me a PM (Private Message).
Best Regards,
Curtis
Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Hankytalk

Good morning everyone !

well, I just start up to packing all my Property in to the cartons for shipment, could any buddy tell me some about the possibilities to keep my JR MC-24, how to Buy a 2,4 Ghz module set in the States like this “ https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=23102 “ , I also would need some new receiver’s, or should I sale the Transmitter in Germany and buy something New.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find any information’s about Graupner in the States, it seems to me like Graupner JR isn’t very present ore popular in the US.

What will be the best deal for me ?!

Nice regard’s form Germany

Werner
Old 06-28-2008, 07:47 AM
skromfols

Hankytalk, I'm not familiar with Grapner but 2.4 Ghz radios are getting very popular here, so I don't think you would have any problems using it here. Having lived in other countries myself I can understand how excited you must be about the upcoming move and I want to wish you the very best of luck in your move and in your new life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.