Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Coming soon to the US

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Coming soon to the US

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Hankytalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming soon to the US

Hi @ all,

I am from Germany and in the center of next year I like to emigrate to the USA, well… It isn’t an emigration in this mind because ive got the US-Citizenship since 2004.

So that for let me tell it like this… I just coming back to my secondary fatherland.

The reason why I make this posting here in the forum is, I spend more than 30 years with Model planes here in Germany, so we got the same hobby and it could be possible that some of u can give me some usefully information’s.

I don’t like to live without this hobby in the USA, so I looking for a Place which makes it possibly for me to get an Job, pay my Bills, to share an have fun with the hobby, associated with people which accept other Nation Human.

Unfortunately there are still some places in the US which foreigner and some races are not very welcome, well… but I don’t like to start a discussion about that.

I just tray to found a peaceful place for my son (15) and me which we can live there.

I do not like big city’s, first I planned to go to Honaker VA, but oh boy……cant tell u, it’s the end of the road….
So the next thing I have planned was Kingsport TN because my aunt lives there, but she doesn’t relay care about me and my Boy, just making me some hope for additional help.

It’s hard to see the one family doesn’t stay behind the words there have given me, but I will do it anyway, with or without my lovely Family…

I have come to an end which I found out… I will be better to say separate from the Family, their arena a big help for me and why should I take a hold on it, just to be nice?!

Ok fellows, the first think I would need after I come to the states would be a job, Apartment with separate room / basement to make my hobby, a Model Airport Club which is arrived for me as well a Burger King because we like fast food.

My job here in Germany calls ( Industriemechaniker fachrichtung Maschienen und Systemtechnikt ) but i think it will doesn’t mean something to u, so that for lets call this job (Machine setter, multiple machine workers, Maintenance).

My last job here in germany :

06/1990 - 05/2006 Assembly operator, IWK Packing technology GmbH, Stutensee

• Base machines and Supply Chain for Cartoners, Tubefilling machines & Handling Systems

• Build up complex structural Components

• Final assembly, Justifying and implementing from packing units.

• Disassembly for shipment and deliveries

• Local Installation at customers production hall

• Repairing aggregates and mechanical components

So this would be all for to day , just waiting now for some useful information.

Please Pn me.

See Ya and thx for reading.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Coming soon to the US

Welcome to RCUniverse (and possibly to the US)!

I would recommend you look in the Mid-West US. States like Ohio, Misouri, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.

The east coast is the most densely populated, and therefore they have a hard time finding flying fields.

The southwest is often too expensive.

Something else to consider is climate - Do you like snow? Do you like hot and humid? Very Hot and Dry?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 AM
goirish

Hey MinnFlyer you forgot the great state of Michigan. We only have 2 seasons---Fall and Winter
Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 AM
MinnFlyer

I didn't forget it... Notice I didn't mention Minnecolda either!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 AM
rwright142

Don't forget Indiana!

I'll PM you.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
MinnFlyer

Is that in America?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
goirish

Well!!! It's part of Detroit.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if it wern't for the cold winters, taxes, corruption, cost of living, dirty air, bad drivers, and population density (northern part at least), New Jersey would be just fine. We do have the second cheapest gasoline in the US, though.. that's a consession...

Our club does have two flying fields, though.

CGr
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Hankytalk

Wowwwwwww, I just wait about 10 minutes and have get more response as I have get from the Family in Kingsport Tn by e-mail , just love it.

Ok, just give me time to answer some quotation, it isn’t easy for me to wired I u languages, but I will read everything u wired, sorry for my slow motion but I never had the possibility to lean English in the school, need some time to get in to it.

Also I like to thank the people which already send me an Pn.

Well. I don’t relay need wintertime’s, just got winter now here an it’s damn could in my country, I also could live in Arizona or Texas but I do not like to live in Florida, there are just to much foreigner and Crime.

I grow up I a small little town and don’t know how to handle that crime.

My son is coming from school now, have to Cook.

See ya later
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 AM
goirish

Isn't that the eastern part of Detroit?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:35 AM
CGRetired

What? New Jersey? Nah.. there's no place like New Jersey, I assure you.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 AM
MinnFlyer

Click your heels together three times and say that.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I won't even mention Oklahoma, because I know what Mike's gonna say about us!!!!

Unlike Michigan we have 4 different seasons here in Oklahoma. Hot, hotter, still hot, and Christmas!!!!!

Ken
Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 AM
CGRetired

Those clicks you hear is me locking my darned doors at night!!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Unlike Michigan we have 4 different seasons here in Oklahoma. Hot, hotter, still hot, and Christmas!!!!!
Don't forget "Tornado"
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Alex7403

What are you guys talking about I live in new york city, every time a package from tower hobbies arrives I have a different stress, where am I gonna put it…
In Manahattan there are more languages spoken then the number of countries in the whole world, And sometimes I need reality check.
you can be as crazy as you want just no body is paying attention....

Hankytalk, big cities are better place for immigrants.

RCKen, I need to climb to the roof if I want to see the sky, then my head is getting fried by cellular antennas.

Minnflyer, i know its cold in minnesota, in NY there is nasty cold wind ¾ of the year and terrible hot summer.

CGRetired, in NJ the roads are wonderful and the drivers are not bad at all, and the police don’t stop you for BS (knock on wood) I drove in 4 continents.

Funny I never liked living in big cities/concrete jungle and now living in the biggest, but that’s because of my wife’s occupation for now…

Yes there is no place like NJ.

Alex.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Charlie P.

If you want to make machinery for the US market get a job in China.

This region of NY is just starting to recover some momentum from the last 25 years of slump. It's awful.

Machinists are usually in demand, especially maintenance. In Owego NY and the Binghamton area Lockheed-Martin is booming with several large contracts and are crying for technicians. They would certainly be worth contacting.

As far as a prejudice against foreign nationals - no problem there. Just the opposite. Everyone assumes Germans are industrious and brilliant engineers.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I spent three years in the South East not so long ago when all the hurricanes were coming through. That was fearful enough for me.

I think there could be a lot of places that would work out.

Being as here is a person with industrial mechanical skills, he needs to be in a place were there is a lot of small industry which could be a lot of places in the USA or Canada.

My experience with metropolitan areas is that you are most often not exactly exposed to the intercity. Like in Detroit, you could be in some of the outlying northern suburbs and actually feel you are in a small town? I'm half way between Cleveland and Columbus Ohio. They are both good size cities. They are each some 60 miles away. But Cleveland essentially is from Sandusky Ohio to Sharon, PA. It's one little community after another for 150 miles. I suppose it is the same way between Toledo and Detroit or Detroit and Ann Arbor?

In my travels I really liked the Kingsport Tennessee - (Tri cities area) that he mentioned on down through Tennessee to Chattanooga including Knoxville.

I also love it around the Salt Lake City Utah suburban area.

However, I essentially have lived all my adult life in this little town in Ohio working in factories doing the same work as Hankytalk. But the industrial base in this area is very diminished from what it was 40 years ago.

I used to think of New Jersey as of Newark - Trenton and down towards Philadelphia being the only thing there? But in reality, there are a lot of small towns in NJ and if you get away from The big cities, there can be most anything you could want in that state. There are sandy beaches, mountains, hunting and fishing - almost anything that might interest you.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
CGRetired

Well, Alex.. I've lived in 6 states and visited just about all except N & S Dakota and Idaho. If you listen to the politicians who want to raise the gas tax 44 cents here in NJ, the reason is to fix the roads and bridges. But, we all KNOW it's to line the pockets of those same politicians. Ever wonder why this state, the suposed richest state in the country, is several BILLION dollars in debt? LET ME OUTTA HERE!! We need an Arnold to come in and straighten things out. And then, I wonder if even HE would be corrupted the way the system is here.

Sorry to disappoint you, but NJ is NOT the best place in the country. Property taxes, car insurance, income taxes, sales tax, tax tax, estate tax, home sales tax by the state and the local municipality, and the list goes on.

I've never been in an accident until I came here, and that's after driving for over 45 years. So far, I've been rear ended twice, both at stop signs (WHAT? Stop signs? I actually stop at stop signs!!!) and a woman ran a stop sign, side swiped my Subaru Outback (my all time favorite car) which overturned.. both myself and my girlfriend were hanging, upside down, from seat belts until the fire department could extricate us.. and get tail-gated every time I'm on the Parkway or the AC Expressway no matter what lane I'm in, even the right lane!

Nope.. I would move out of NJ in a New York Minute if it wern't for the job and the girlfriend. And, yes, I've lived in New York City. But, we DO have two nice flying fields (not to be redundant and repeat myself..) There might be some very nice little towns here and beaches and all, but the overwhelming problems of corruption and taxes just about wipe all that good stuff out. Consider buying a home for, let's say $250,000, and average home here. The property taxes on that place is over $6000 per year. Get the picture? It is not uncommon for people to pay over $10,000 per year in property taxes. And for what?

CGr
Old 11-30-2007, 10:54 AM
MinnFlyer

I've spent more time in NY and NJ than anywhere else. And I loved it there.

But I like the slow pace of the mid-west better.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Alex7403

CGr,
I know what you are talking about and I don’t disagree,
There is an old saying: there are only two sure things in life: death and taxes.

Corruption there is everywhere, and the more money there is, the more greedy people get, even when there was nothing at all still there was corruption.

As for California governor, sometimes its better for an organization to be in debt and not in plus….
Like if our administration will say something like: why should I tax Alabama they are in debt, NJ is breaking even lets tax them.

I’m not sure about car insurance, I think Brooklyn NY is the nation highest, at least was for several years.

NJ taxes are high, well yes also NJ school system score is high.
Oh when they sit on my tail I slow down a little bit gradually, then they have to pass me…

NJ is the only state that there must be a person at the gas station, its good lots of jobs, I fill my car in NJ only.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Alex7403

Yes I’m flying in a tent now…
Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM
CGRetired

Ha.. enough on politics.. jeez, how topics get carried away. Hey, I guess all things considered, living in NJ isn't all that bad, but strange things do happen here, I must say.

But, we all must do our best to make sure that Hankytalk is welcome here, and I'm sure we all do just that. Flying here is a blast, as it was when I was in England a few years ago. All RC'ers seem to have one big thing in common and that's our love of the hobby.

L8r-g8r

CGr
Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
goirish

Geeze CGR--The people that rearended you had to stop somehow.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Adui

Hmmm,

Well it sounds as though you are suited for Machinist or Manufacturing type jobs. I know we've a few different manufacturing facilities here in the Pacific Northwest, (Northwestern Oregon to be exact). But I am not sure they fit your experience.

We've a few struggling Printed Circuit Board shops, (Well from what I hear Merix Corp is no longer struggling.. We've a few different Plastics plants, some Extrusion some Injection molding. We've even got a Hi tech Bow making company here.

I suggest some internet searches for the industry you prefer / would do best in, and the locations of facilities here in the US. If you have the time, and play it right you could end up with your job already had before moving. Find companies that need your skills, send a resume and cover letter explaining you are moving to the US and see what you get.

And as much as I like my backwoods little town, the guys on here who said it are right, you are better off starting out in a larger city, and moving out after you get established. (Portland Metro area is good , and we have SEVERAL flying sites in this area, Ive two within 20 minutes of home and one is only 5 minutes away. Although I live in the tiny little town called Dayton Oregon, not to be confused with the big city of Dayton Ohio)

Where ever you end up, I am sure the majority of the community will welcome you, and I know for a fact the RC community will love to have you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.