Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

AK-Models Trainer 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

AK-Models Trainer 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:45 AM
HampdenTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AK-Models Trainer 40

Does anyone have any experience with this model??

http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...Model_GasPower

It seems like a decent price for a .40 trainer and I've read some other posts about AK-Models. Seems like they sell some quality kits and buyers have been happy.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:07 AM
phornight

Default RE: AK-Models Trainer 40

Looks like a good trainer. I wonder what the patented materiel is? That would be my only question.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Fastsky

Most trainers that use .40 size engines fly similiar. Having said that if you are really interested in this hobby, I would suggest getting a kit that uses balsa and ply. The Sig Kadet LT-40 Trainer Kit even though its $40.00 more is one of the best trainers available for lots of reasons and is made from balsa and ply. The majority of planes are made from these materials and the sooner you learn how to work with these materials the better off you will be. If you build your first kit you will know how a plane goes together which makes it much easier to make repairs if you need to. I have seen new flyers going around asking for help to repair their ARF after a minor crash because they didn't have a clue how to start repairs. The instructions for trainer "kits" numbered, step by step, and have pictures of the parts which are also labeled. It makes it very easy to build the plane and you know how every piece in the plane got there. You check off the number boxes as you go along so you know where you left off. Second type planes have much fewer instructions because it is assumed that you learned the basics when you built your "trainer". Some kits only have a few pictures to go by which is fine with experience but pretty useless with out it. Winter is coming so work on your trainer now and in the spring you will have a plane ready to go. It also gives you something to do in the winter that is part of this hobby.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:15 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Well my fave is the LT 40 but most basic trainers are just fine, as this one should be. The price is attractive. As with all ARFs check the fire wall, wing mounting, tail and landing gear areas of the fuse and reinforce as needed. Be SURE the ailerons, elevator and rudder are attatched WELL. I like tooth pics thru the hinges from the bottom with a drop of med ca in the hole just before pushing in the tooth pic.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Fastsky

CA can suddenly lock the tooth pick in place before it is all the way in position. [X(] Thats why I have switched to wood glue instead.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 AM
HampdenTech

Fastsky...I had thought of building the Kadet having viewed Ken's excellent build thread. The problem is time. I actually started a walnut-scale FF P6E Hawk back in July just to hone my building skills (hadn't built in quite some time). It's covered but still waiting assembly and here it is December.

I was hoping to get a 40 trainer that I could start flying in the spring. If I build a Kadet an optimistic time-frame might be the fall or even NEXT spring. I spent this summer flying an Easy Star and I have a Slow Stick which I'm hoping to get in the air soon if the weather cooperates. I've also been spending a lot of time on Realflight G3.5 with various models.

My long term plan is to get a 40/Glow trainer to learn with and then either scratch-build or kit-build the next step up (not sure what that is yet).

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm also considering the Tower Hobbies Trainer 40 as an ARF and maybe the Hobbico Superstar.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Fastsky

The LT40 plane is big and the kit takes lots of time to build. If time is a premium then an ARf is the way to go. Since you are looking at Hobbico, check out the Avistar ARF. Its a good design and a solid built plane to stand up to less than perfect landings while training. It has a semi-symetrical wing which means at higher throttle settings the plane has good speed and is more aerobatic than a flat bottom trainer so it can used as a second type plane as well. Its also priced well for a quality plane. [8D]
Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 AM
acarter

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

The LT40 plane is big and the kit takes lots of time to build. If time is a premium then an ARf is the way to go. Since you are looking at Hobbico, check out the Avistar ARF. Its a good design and a solid built plane to stand up to less than perfect landings while training. It has a semi-symetrical wing which means at higher throttle settings the plane has good speed and is more aerobatic than a flat bottom trainer so it can used as a second type plane as well. Its also priced well for a quality plane. [8D]
I agree, I learned on the avistar and I think it better prepared me for my second plane, being that it has a semi symetrical wing it is more capable of aerobatics.

Austin