Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber vs Aluminum landing gear

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Carbon fiber vs Aluminum landing gear

Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 PM
P51p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber vs Aluminum landing gear

Hello,
I am thinking about replacing the aluminum landing gear on my goldberg 67" edge 540 with a carbon fiber landing gear. The gear got bent a few too many times and now only takes a little effort to loose its shape. Is the carbon fiber gear much stronger than the aluminum gear to with stand a few hard landings without breaking or am I just wasting my $$ on a carbon fiber gear?
Any info would be very much appreciated.

Graham

Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Carbon fiber vs Aluminum landing gear

A few facts that might help you are the Specif Gravity (OR weight relationship to water @ 62.4#/CF) of carbon epoxy composite is 1.54, where 6063-T6 aluminum is 2.71. This equals a 75% weight saving if you go size per size. But The tensile modulus (Or strength) of carbon epoxy composite is 20.3, where 6063-T6 aluminum is 10. So this means you can use half the material to get the same strength. Bottom line it even if you only cut the material thickness by 1/3 and go carbon composite you are reducing you weight at lease in half!
Charlie
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Villa

Hi P51p
I put a Dubro carbon main gear on my 7 lbs C3-Cub over one year ago. I had three bad crashes with it and never hurt the main gear. I believe the gear flattend out during the crashes. They are much better than aluminum gear. I purchase another Dubro carbon main gear for use on my Canard when i rebuild it.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 PM
P51p

Hi ByLoudDesign,
Great info, but weight is not a concern. I need durability to withstand a few hard landings.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
opjose

If the two are of equal size the CF gear is going to be MUCH stiffer & stronger.

CF can redily crack however, especially during an impact or hit, etc.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Stick Bender

I think aluminum is better for a beginner. I personally broke 3 carbon fiber landing gears trying to learn to fly an Extra 260. (including a graphtech set which are very strong but brittle) The one set of aluminum I used got bent back several times before a dead stick that finally broke the aluminum. I'm doing well enough now that I use mostly carbon. But back then aluminum was best for my skill level.

I hope this info helps you decide.

Scott
Old 01-31-2008, 02:44 PM
opjose

Yeah I'd rather have the gear absorb the impact than having to rebuild the fuselage bottom after a hard landing.

IMHO it's much easier to replace the gear.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: P51p

Hello,
I am thinking about replacing the aluminum landing gear on my goldberg 67" edge 540 with a carbon fiber landing gear. The gear got bent a few too many times and now only takes a little effort to loose its shape. Is the carbon fiber gear much stronger than the aluminum gear to with stand a few hard landings without breaking or am I just wasting my $$ on a carbon fiber gear?
Any info would be very much appreciated.

Graham

The real problem you're going to have is finding any replacement gear to fit. If you find both aluminum and CF, you're lucky.

If you find any, check out it's specs to see what weight airplane it's supposed to support. If your airplane weight is near the max for that gear, you won't be gaining much using it. Keep looking.

Your real solution is to take the measurements off your original and simply find some replacements that match.... or come close..... and that will support the weight. If one of them is CF, it usually works somewhat better than aluminum. It will flex (if it's specs match your weight) enough and it'll be a bit less prone to fail. However, it also will cause more damage to the fuselage in the event of a damaging landing or crash. Everything has a trade off.

BTW, it would be nice if us modelers could decide details like whether or not to use CF or aluminum and then bop on down to the LHS and pick whatever we decided to buy. But most times you are lucky to find a replacement at all. Much less have a choice.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, if you use either type and it appears to be more than adequately strong for the airplane, consider using nylon bolts to attach it. If the gear is stronger than the original stuff, impacts are going right into the fuselage unless you can provide a breakaway capability. Nylon bolts provide that.