Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine running Backwards?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine running Backwards?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:27 PM
capt17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine running Backwards?

Hello all, Well it's a nice day here in Indiana so I think I head to the AMA site today and fly. I usually use a starter to start my planes however the battery was down after the winter and it just wouldn't charge. I am waiting on my new battery from Tower. Anyways, I want to fly so I went out and tried to start my engine with the chicken stick. To my suprise she turned over on the second throw! I am flipping the prop the same way my spinner spins, to the left looking at the model. As I I tried to increase throttle she died but I noticed she started to roll backwards an inch or so as I increased. I did this again with the same result. Only for a few seconds. I then tried to flip the prop to the right and she turned over nicely but this time she was going forward. The prop is on right as I've flown this plane last year, Can my engine run backwards by flipping it to the left? Is flipping to the right ok if it gets the engine going to the left? Anyone else have this problem? Will it be like this after 200 flights on this model? Thanks for the help!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Engine running Backwards?

Yes, sometimes it will fire up backwards. I've only had that happen to me a couple of times in a couple of hundred flights, but I always use an electric starter. Using a stick, you are probably going to see this happen more frequently than with a starter. I believe it is just bouncing back due to compression, and happens to fire up occasionally in the reverse direction.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

It can happen.

Are you getting a clean transition from idle to WOT? Sometimes that is a symptom of the low end being rich.

It happened on a helicopter of mine once, the tail rotor spun up but the main rotor just sat there, I was quite dismayed until I figured out what happened.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
shane.barton

That happens to me at times using a chicken stick. I usually increase throttle til the engine begins to sputter. Just before it dies down I blip the throttle down to idle and slowly give more throttle. The engine usually recovers spinning the correct direction without problems. It may take a few times to get the timing down, but it's not hard to do.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The engine will fire and run backwards if it's flooded. This happens to a lot of pilots in that they over prime the engine. And then it will start and run backwards. Start experimenting with priming less until you find how much to prime it so that the engine still starts but doesn't start backwards.

When your engine does start backwards there are a few things to do. Many pilots will "blip" the throttle stick which can sometimes pop the engine into running properly. Or simply close the throttle until the engine dies and then restart it. It may take a couple of tries until you burn off enough excess fuel for it to run properly.

Ken
Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 PM
capt17

Thanks guys, I'll try those things when I'm out!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My OS 75 AX starts up backwards a lot of times after it has warmed up (after the first flight). But, part of that is my fault because this engine starts so easily, that I just flip the prop one time and it will start. Sometimes, backwards, but, as Ken said, I just pop the throttle open and closed real quick and it usually just makes a little popping noise and then runs forwards. Doesn't seem to be a big deal.

My OS 1.20 AX, though, I actually tap the prop hard in the reverse direction with the chicken stick and it will immediately start up running forward.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Wild Foamy

mine do that when i try and start them with a chicken stick when they are cold, they are usually running quite rich and they do start up in reverse, but open the throttle slightly until it kicks over into forward rotation, or quickly open it and then close it as suggested above
Old 02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
bkdavy

Another trick I use when the engine starts backwards is to pinch the fuel line. This will cut off the fuel supply and burn off the excess fuel. Listen carefully, and you'll hear the engine blip and then start running forward. Works about 90 percent of the time.

Brad
Old 02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What RCKen said:
The engine will fire and run backwards if it's flooded.
Some engines do this more than others due to the engine timing. You should never just prime or choke an engine and then start flipping or bumping with the starter. This is the best way to throw off the spinner and prop when it kicks back.

For a two stroke glow:

Instead, after it is "primed", hook up the glow plug and pull the engine through compression by hand. If it kicks, it is flooded, keep pulling it through compression until it doesn't. Quite often it will start bumping every other turn through compression. If flipping with a chicken stick, flip right after the bump, or with a starter.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I'm not trying to start an arguement here, but IMHO you sould never touch the prop once the glow plug is hot. The reason for this is because it's very easy for it to pop, kick back, or even actually start, and if the person isn't ready for it or doesn't have a good hold on the prop it could do some very serious damage to the hand. I teach all of my students that after the glow plug ignitor is attached the prop should be treated just as if it was running as it's possible to harm.

Ken
Old 02-08-2008, 03:44 PM
HighPlains

Ken, surely it is much safer to hold the prop and pull the engine through compression than have it backfire and throw the entire prop and spinner. When the engine has the exhaust open, it can not kick regardless of the mixture with the glow plug driver on the engine.

I base this on more than 40 years of experience of starting these beasts.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Highplains,
Actually, I think that both of them are dangerous. I appreaciate the years of experience that you've had, but I still stand behind my thoughts that the prop shouldn't be turned over with the glow driver attached. It's dangerous advice to give to people starting out in the hobby. While you know from your experience that you should have a good grip on the prop from your experience, beginners may not have that experience to rely on or may not realize how tight to hold the prop. And that's all it takes for the prop to kick over and cut their hand. IMHO it's just good saftey procedures to treat an engine with an ignitor attached as running. Good safety procedures such as this are what keeps a pilot from getting hurt from a running engine.

Ken
Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM
HighPlains

It should also be pointed out that glow engines can start without the ignitor being connected. The glow plug acts as a catalysis to react with the methanol in the fuel.

Part of the trouble with our sport has been it's rapid growth. So quite often we have people showing people the ropes without all that much experience. Back when people actually had to build their airplanes, they spent a lot of time watching others fly and helping out which gave rise to a better training and sharing of knowledge. It generally takes two to fly control line for instance. Starters were rare 40 years ago, so starting by hand was routine.

I learned from modelers that started flying models in the 40's. So I accept that there is much less experience, and a general dumbing down of relevant knowledge. It's that way everywhere in all aspects of life for the last 50 years.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
troposcuba

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Highplains,
Actually, I think that both of them are dangerous. I appreaciate the years of experience that you've had, but I still stand behind my thoughts that the prop shouldn't be turned over with the glow driver attached. It's dangerous advice to give to people starting out in the hobby. While you know from your experience that you should have a good grip on the prop from your experience, beginners may not have that experience to rely on or may not realize how tight to hold the prop. And that's all it takes for the prop to kick over and cut their hand. IMHO it's just good saftey procedures to treat an engine with an ignitor attached as running. Good safety procedures such as this are what keeps a pilot from getting hurt from a running engine.

Ken
just another not while we are on the subject of safety. if it is running backward and you open the throttle, remember that the plane will BACK UP! just something to remember. ask me how i know this.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM
zbo2

on my OS 1.2 surpass it actually tells you in the manual, yea....who reads those, that when starting by hand to flip the engine the oposite of it's normal rotation.......works like a champ. if you try to hand start it in the normal running direction it starts backwards everytime.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:36 PM
capt17

Thanks everyone for your input and I know now at least I'm not the only one to encounter this. I didn't want this to turn into a safety forum, I know how to keep my fingers. I have a few things to get me out of this jam next time though. Thanks for the support so quickly![8D]
Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in agreement with RCKen. After you put the igniter on--treat it like it can cut your hand off. It's "HOT" now and can hurt you.

I also agree that this condition is mostly from over-priming. A flooded engine will be much more likely to start backwards. I use a chicken stick 90% of the time. I don't grab the electric starter unless it's really cold outside.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
nxtshakur

Ok...definitely confused now. Which way is the prop supposed to spin when starring at the nose of the plane?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Counter-clockwise if looking at it from the front.

If you were sitting in the cockpit, it should be spinning clockwise.

Edit:
I don't recommend sitting in the cockpit. Balsa is too weak to support most of us. My butt is getting larger in my middle age. It wouldn't fit if I tried. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-08-2008, 08:03 PM
HighPlains

Bump starting does work quite well for both 2 and 4 stroke. I usually do it on bigger engines by snapping the spinner against compression with the throttle at low to 1/4 open. But don't recommend it to rank beginners.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM
bruce88123

If your engine starts running backward don't panic. This isn't a bad thing, just not a good thing. Merely "a thing". Let is run for a bit so the engine will warm up and any EXCESS fuel (from being too rich) will burn off. Then reverse the engine by your favorite method. If the engine stops it will restart easily in the correct direction.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen a glow engine start without the battery attached. I have had them start (one time) when the battery is attached, before flipping. So I hold the prop firmly while I attach the battery. If you are going to hold the prop, assume the engine is going to fire and have a good firm hold. Probably it won't fire, but better sort of safe than really sorry. I do the turn over for the bump. then flip forward. If it is a hard bump, as in flooded, then I hit the prop backwards. I recommend a good leather glove if hand starting. . A piece of radiator hose makes a good chicken stick.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
cutaway

The G21 .35 Super Tigre is/was notorious for wanting to start backwards when flipped counterclockwise.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

It should also be pointed out that glow engines can start without the ignitor being connected. The glow plug acts as a catalysis to react with the methanol in the fuel.

Part of the trouble with our sport has been it's rapid growth. So quite often we have people showing people the ropes without all that much experience. Back when people actually had to build their airplanes, they spent a lot of time watching others fly and helping out which gave rise to a better training and sharing of knowledge. It generally takes two to fly control line for instance. Starters were rare 40 years ago, so starting by hand was routine.

I learned from modelers that started flying models in the 40's. So I accept that there is much less experience, and a general dumbing down of relevant knowledge. It's that way everywhere in all aspects of life for the last 50 years.
High Plains, all your posts here reflect on a person with great knowledge concerning the care and feeding of the 2 stroke engine.
As one that started with ignition, and in short-order over to glow, when there were no "starters" other than a few big wheeled units used mostly by CL Speed fliers, I also learned the "bump and flip" technique. That was almost mandatory in my CL Stunt days when the 1 minute rule, signal to start to being airborne, was in effect for the 5 points.

Your input is very refreshing to myself where in today's world and with most fliers of 20 years or less experience they simply expect the Glow engine to be a plug and play operation. I get a lot of startled stares when I choke, turn-over using pull-through, feel a "bump", flip, and the engine is running.

Unfortunately, today's modeler has no time and no desire to learn the basics, especially if it is not in the instruction booklet. []

Great Posts, HP.

BTW, I have experienced both the running-backward start, especially with cold high compression racing engines, and a few starts without the battery connected. Nothing is 100% certain. Always use care and awareness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.