Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Freedom Firebird, Commander 2, Skyfly, or Slo-V ???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Freedom Firebird, Commander 2, Skyfly, or Slo-V ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
RTice
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom Firebird, Commander 2, Skyfly, or Slo-V ???

Freedom Firebird, Commander 2, Skyfly, or Slo-V

Those are the choices I've settled on. Here are the circumstances. I want a beginner type plane that I can fly in a relatively small area (soccer field size) that is surrounded by trees.

I want a plane that isn't so fast that I am constantly battling the boundaries. I don't know how fast they planes are in reality...or in comparison to each other.

Which one of the planes would be slow enough to tinker around in a relatively small area?

Thanks
Rob
Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Freedom Firebird, Commander 2, Skyfly, or Slo-V ???

Any of those choices would be hard to keep out of the trees surrounding a soccer field until you learn to control it.
Out of your list the Hobbico Skyfly would be my choice.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
RTice

Thanks, Missileman. What would be the issue with a slo-v...wouldn't that be slower (and thus easier to control) than a glider-typer plane like the skyfly? Trying to understand the pros and cons.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Jburry

"I don't know how fast they planes are in reality..."

I can't comment on any of the specific planes, but the answer to the above question: about 2x as fast as you think, if you've never seen one!

None of these planes is really fast, all under 40mph, I think, but it'll seem awful fast to a newbie. Most people don't realize how fast a 4' long plane doing 60mph really is!

J
Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Missileman

The slow V is not much of an airplane at all. Waste of money IMO. it is only 2 channel with throttle controlling the altittude.
Skyfly gives you 3 channel control so that Elevator controls alltitude. This gives you much more control over the airplane plus it even mixes rudder and elevator for the beginner.
My opinion? If I was looking at the Slo-V I would be just as well off buying a $30ish Airhogs from Walmart.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM
RTice

The slow V is not much of an airplane at all. Waste of money IMO. it is only 2 channel with throttle controlling the altittude.
With all due respect, I think you have the slo-v mixed up with something else.

Skyfly has a rudder and a single elevator.
Slo-v does not have a rudder but does have two elevators...and the v-tail...so altitude is not only controlled by the throttle.
They both are 3-ch proportional.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
RTice

Thanks, Jburry. I think you are right, they all probably go faster than one thinks.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: RTice

Slo-v does not have a rudder but does have two elevators...and the v-tail...so altitude is not only controlled by the throttle.
You're right. I was equating it to other Parkzone V-tail planes I have. all junk. I still maintain the Skyfly is a better airplane for the price.
Got a few more dollars the Hobbyzone Super Cub is better yet.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 PM
ssrc30

ORIGINAL: Missileman

ORIGINAL: RTice

You're right. I was equating it to other Parkzone V-tail planes I have. all junk. I still maintain the Skyfly is a better airplane for the price.
Got a few more dollars the Hobbyzone Super Cub is better yet.

I just flew my Firebird Commander 2 for the first time. It's not a bad little airplane, but there are a few problems with it. First off, if the wind is anything more than 5 MPH, don't fly. You will end up on the ground faster than you left it. Second, make sure you TURN OFF the A.C.T. It is of little to no help, and as far as I am concerned, it holds back a new pilot from really learning the basics of flying the airplane. Also, it seems to be quite nose heavy and will need some weight in the tail.

If you haven't yet gotten an airplane, I would recommend the F-22 Raptor PTS from Hangar 9. It's gotten some bad raps because of the lower power it posesses, but that can easily be changed. Also, you will need to fly the airplane right down to the ground. They also have a great looking P-51 PTS, also an excellent beginner plane. I have both, and they are both ALOT of fun to fly, and BOTH can be switched into really great sport planes once you have mastered them with the PTS equipment still on them.

Steve