Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nitro trainers...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nitro trainers...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM
ThisDayWakes
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro trainers...

of the nitro trainers from the sticky above... Which is the best? I'm going ARF, I've alrady gone ahead and got myself a DX7, but just wanted some honest opinions on trainers that have been used and trusted other than a list to chooe from.

I'm leaning toward the Thunder tiger MkII, hobbico Nexstar .46, Hangar 9 alpha 40 or 60. or just a tower trainer.

Not sure on whats a reliable brand or how it all goes... By now everything is probably so close to eachother as far as trainers, just not sure who has a better edge on the next bird...

Also: I'm on a sim about 2 hrs a day and landing and taking off is a cake walk! among a few aerobatics as well.

Thanks a million!

Dave
Old 03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Nitro trainers...

Of the ones on my list I usually shy away from saying what is "best". They are all good trainers, that's why they are on the list in the first place. But if I was forced to pick I would tell you what I thought the best value is, it would be IMHO the Tower Trainer. You can pick up the ARF for $69 and it's an outstanding trainer. I have taught many students to fly on the Tower 40 (it's what I learned on as well) and they all do well with it. I've been flying for 12 years now and I even still have my Tower Trainer, I take it out every now and then and fly it.

Overall, like I said, everything on the list is a good trainer and you will do well with it. Just make sure you find yourself a good instructor because without one no matter what trainer you have you'll more than likely be bringing home in a bag.

Ken
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM
ABELL

The Tower Trainer is an excellent choice. Both of my sons learned on one. I learned on the Hobbistar 60. It is also a good choice. It will carry you a little futher than a trainer with a flat bottom wing. It's not exactly a second plane. Maybe a 1.5 plane. It is very forgiving, flies slow, lands like a trainer, but has a semi semitrical wing with not so much dihedral. It is a little more aerobatic than the flat bottom trainer wing. I'm sure there will be many opinions given. What ever you decide to go with just be sure to use an instructor.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:31 PM
ThisDayWakes

Yes yes!!! Will have an instructor!!! dont want to learn bad habbits....

Thanks again, i was thinking of the semi semtrical wing just as a little step ahead when i am able to fly better outside of the Sim.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not a "nitro" engine.

It's called GLOW fuel.

Nitro is a term used by car guys, because it sounds cool and there is a lot of slick marketing hype in RC cars.

Our small planes run on glow fuel. It is about 17--20% oil. Has anywhere from 0%---30% nitromethane. The rest of it is alcohol (methanol). It's called glow fuel because the plug glows red hot during the combustion process. It's basically a diesel engine. Once it is running, you take the nicad battery off (ignitor) and the engine compresses the fuel against a red hot platinum element. That makes the fuel ignite.

Glow Trainer. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Not nitro trainer.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is, the best trainer is the one that fits your budget. Like Ken said you can't beat the Tower Trainer for the price. The money you save on that one you can put toward a second plane.

Bad habits you will get into whether you get an instructor or not.
1. Using your credit card and ordering airplane stuff often.
2. Checking the wind and temperature every time you walk outside.
3. Working on your new airplane stuff till late at night.
4. Buying up all the different airplane magazines you can find.
5. When doing your taxes, dreaming of all the new airplane stuff you can get with the refund.
6. Spending every free moment at the field.

There are a lot of other bad habits you will pick up but I can't think of them right now. The only way to avoid all these bad habits is to not start buying in the first place. But since you already got the radio, it is too late for you. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, it is expensive, bit for most of us it is worth it.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Missileman

Nitro Trainers are subject to personal opinion.
Tower trainer is fine if your budget is tight.
I like big because it is more stable in the air and is easier to see.
For that reason I lean toward SIG LT 40 with a 70" wingspan or if you can afford it a SIG Kadet Senior with an 80" wingspan.
Both of these fly very well on an economical .46 size engine
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFG19&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBDE9&P=0
(Nitro and Glow are interchangible terms in my neck of the woods )
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM
bigedmustafa

Bigger flies better. You might take a look at the World Models Super Frontier Senior .46 ARF, Sig Kadet LT-40 ARF/Kit, Sig Kadet Senior ARF/Kit, Goldberg Protege .60 ARF, Thunder Tiger Pegasus .40 ARF, Thunder Tiger Tiger Trainer .60 ARF, VMar Apache III .40 ARF, H9 Alpha .60 ARF, Tower Hobbies Tower Trainer .60 ARF, or Hobbico Hobbistar .60 ARF.

This are all bigger birds with 68" or greater wingspans. The Hobbico Hobbistar, TT Pegasus, and Goldberg Protege have semi-symmetrical wing designs. You may find that the flying characteristics of a trainer airframe are more influenced by the amount of dihedral (v-shape) in the wing rather than whether the wing is flat-bottomed or almost flat-bottomed (semi-symmetrical).

These large trainers are easy to see and more stable the smaller versions of the same design. You might give trainers like the Goldberg Protege .60 ARF or the H9 Alpha .60 a second look as they are covered with Ultracote. It has been my experience that Ultracote is durable and doesn't sag or bubble due to temperature changes as much as other brands of covering.

The Nexstar ARF could also be worth considering, though its high dihedral and long wing chord (distance from leading edge to trailing edge) make the Nexstar a bit tougher to fly than some of the other trainers when it's windy out. Overall the Nexstar is a nice airframe, particularly when bought as an ARF rather than RTF package. The Nexstar is a wonderful trainer with which to learn how to land.

If forced to pick a single "best trainer" based on your comments so far, ThisDayWakes, I'd recommend the Goldberg Protege .60 ARF with an O.S. Max .55 AX 2-stroke engine. When paired with your DX7 radio system, this would be an outstanding trainer package that you could learn and grow with for quite some time.

MinnFlyer, one of the forum moderators, wrote a detailed review of exactly this engine and airframe combination:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=901

I think you'll find this a very appealing combination. The Protege .60 ARF has a flat-bottomed airfoil, but low dihedral and will be ready for a wide array of aerobatics once you've finished your basic flight training and want to move on to more challenges.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM
ThisDayWakes

awesome!! again guys thank you...

JR is it bad that I can say i do half that list already?

This is an awesome hobby i cant wait to dive into, just dont want to make costly mistakes!

since i dropped two other hobbys of mine, spending is a little easier now
I'm one to buy the best of the best so...

but my daughter loves to go watch the planes and helis at the field so i can take her (shes almost three)

I also have a buddy i work with intersted so at least i can talk someones ears off about it who wants to hear it!!! hahahaha

Thanks guys
Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Just as an add-on, and in total agreement with RCKen and others, the Tower Trainer 40 is both an excellent value and an excellent trainer. It was my 'first' trainer (second time around after over 20 years of being out of the sport) and it was both fun to fly as well as a real capable aircraft. My only complaint (and this is not a real complaint) is that, for us older guys, it would be nice to have a larger trainer for the visibility. Other than that, and that is more of an observation than a complaint, it's a fine trainer. Mine was originally powered with the Tower 40 glow engine, which was ok, but my instrucrtor and I talked about it and I bought and installed an OS 46.

That was back in 1999 or so, and that plane still flys!! Oddly enough, with the original Tower 40 engine because when I sold it, I took the RX, servos, and the OS engine off. The guy that bought the Tower 40 also bought my Tower 40 engine and installed that one back on the Tower trainer.

CGr.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jrcaster

Bad habits you will get into whether you get an instructor or not.
1. Using your credit card and ordering airplane stuff often.
2. Checking the wind and temperature every time you walk outside.
3. Working on your new airplane stuff till late at night.
4. Buying up all the different airplane magazines you can find.
5. When doing your taxes, dreaming of all the new airplane stuff you can get with the refund.
6. Spending every free moment at the field.
That sums up the key initial points perfectly.

I guess I have ALL of these bad habits, plus...

7. Spending too much time online at RCU.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
yetti831

I had a Tower Trainer, and I now have an Avistar. If you are flying well on the sim, then don't get a tower trainer or a nexstar. You will get too bored too quickly. I suggest you get an Avistar, as it is a more capable plane for the more advanced begginner.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: yetti831
You will get too bored too quickly. I suggest you get an Avistar, as it is a more capable plane for the more advanced begginner.
This is a statement that I disagree with. But it's one misconception that is heard a lot from beginner's in the hobby. They think that a basic trainer, or a flat wing trainer in this case, isn't capable of advanced aerobatics. I think that part of the reason people think that is because they are in a hurry to move on to a second "cool" plane, and leave that old trainer behind. I guess it's just human nature to want to fly that flashy sleek looking plane and not your old trainer. But one thing I urge people to do is after they have been flying for 2 or 3 years is to go back to their trainer and fly it again. They will usually have their jaws on the floor in amazement because they had no clue that their trainer was so aerobatic. I fly my Tower Trainer every month or so just to have fun with it. In fact, it's really fun pushing it through advanced aerobatics. And I think that it actually helps the pilot become better at aerobatics because he is getting nothing from the plane and it's all his skills in doing aerobatics. But anyway, when it comes to trainers.... They aren't boring, it's only pilots that are boring!!

Anyway, I'm not trying to jump on you yetti. But I am just trying to help avoid this sterotype that many beginners have. After you've been flying for a year or so go back to your trainer and see if you don't find that I'm right!!!

Ken
Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Missileman

I agree 100% with RCKen I have a bunch of flashy planes one of my favorites right now being a 90 size Showtime but close on its heals a Great Planes Super Stearman.
My kids, just today, bought me a Kadet Senior ARF, I have missed my old one since I traded it away. I can't wait to get this new one in the air.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
bigedmustafa

I had some of the dihedral sanded out of the wing joiner on my Tower Trainer .40 Mk II ARF and I set it up for full throws. With the .46 FX on the nose, that Tower Trainer could easily do anything an Avistar could.

Anyway, like I was saying, Goldberg Protege .60 ARF
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
yetti831

I figured my post was a bold one for a newbie. I expected it. haha I actually ordered the nexstar first, but people were saying that it was a lackluster performer, so I got the avistar. Personally, I think the avistar is dead ugly. The tower is much prettier in my opinion. I think high wings are beautiful., in general. I'd rather fly high wing than low wing. Exception: Hanger mustang, my next plane .
Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: yetti831

I figured my post was a bold one for a newbie. I expected it. haha I actually ordered the nexstar first, but people were saying that it was a lackluster performer, so I got the avistar. Personally, I think the avistar is dead ugly. The tower is much prettier in my opinion. I think high wings are beautiful., in general. I'd rather fly high wing than low wing. Exception: Hanger mustang, my next plane .
Your post simply echoed a popular notion that many folks hold concerning flat bottom versus semi-symmetrical wings on trainer aircraft.

It's not the shape of the wing, it's the amount of dihedral that has the greatest effect on the trainer's handling characteristics. Semi-symmetrical is just a marketing term for "almost flat." A lot more affects how a trainer handles than just the shape of its wing's leading edge.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
ThisDayWakes

I dont really care on how it looks, just liked the landing gear that it seems a little more beefy than three little pieces of metal attatched to wheels, dont care about the cowl. na dwold just REALLY RATHER NOT HAVE RUBBER BANDS...

The guys at the field just said start "high-wing" and go from there. Im really into warbirds, and a few civilian aircraft. They really discouraged me from the Hangar-9 PTS trainer.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't matter what it looks like. It's a TOOL.

Use it to learn how to fly. Get help and solo with an instructor. Wreck it, fix it. It doesn't matter if it's ugly. FLY IT!! Patch it up and use it for the intended purpose.

Resist the urge to move on to a low wing tail dragger until you are bored to death with the trainer. I see a lot of newbies get soloed and they immediately gut all the parts and equipment out of the trainer and use them on a 2nd plane that they are not really ready for. Big mistake.

I flew my first trainer for at least 4 or 5 months after I soloed. I was building a kit. Learn to do crosswind landings with the trainer. Learn some of the more advanced aerobatic maneuvers. I still to fly my trainer when I want to learn a new maneuver. They will do every trick in the book. It may not be pretty, but if YOU know how to move the sticks correctly, they will do it all. Use the trainer to advance your flying skills. Don't solo and then immediately turn your nose up at the trainer. Keep it and fly it for many years. I STILL have an old LT-40 that I fly. I've been flying for 10yrs and I'm not embarrassed to fly my trainer.

Rushing into a plane that you're not ready for is a big mistake. As I said, lots of guys do it and end up wrecking very quickly. Stick with the trainer until you can practically fly it in your sleep. Then start on your second plane.

Trainers don't have to be pretty. Pick the biggest one that you can afford and fly it. Bigger is always better. They fly smoother.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Flying Bougie

To a tree, balsa wood and MonoKote taste just like chicken!

So many people talk about the avistar. I have an ultimate bipe (on the shelf) and am also wondering about an ARF trainer. I was thinking 40ish ..
Old 03-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Good Luck in your new hobby. Bigger is better and easier to fly and see IMO, Kadet, kadet sr etc. Not to be Mr. gloom and doom , what every you choose, pick one where replacement parts are available in case you need them. When you get going and start looking for a next step airplane , might I suggest a 4Star 40 or 60 kit. Build it and take almost all the dihedral out. Great flying airplane that will do aerobatics, plus you will learn the take-off of a tail-dragger
Old 03-14-2008, 07:12 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Anyway, like I was saying, Goldberg Protege .60 ARF
This is an absolutely wonderful flying airplane. I bought mine after Minnflyer did the review on his. He did the review using an OS 55 AX engine. The LHS didn't have one in stock and didn't expect delivery on one for two or three weeks, but he had and OS 75 AX in stock, so I bought that one and installed it. It takes off with a little bit more than half throttle with this engine. Powerhouse is the best way to describe it. But Minnflyer used the 55 AX which he says has outstanding performance, and I must agree with that. It performs with my 75 AX and I hardly use full throttle, so I can imagine the 55 is just about perfect. Those AX engines are just great. The only advantage of the 75 AX is that it fits right in with no mods to fit the smaller 55 engine footprint.

This was the first plane I've ever built (arf.. so assembled for you purists ) that did NOT require any additional nose weight to make the CG. Perfect right from the start.

I fly that plane very often and love it's performance and handling. Can be a fast very capable high-wing plane, yet lands like a feather. My only complaint was the covering trim on the wing. Even though I spent several hours ironing out wrinkles and getting the covering right, the stripes on the wings lifted during flight making wierd sounds. I thought it was flutering at first, but we found that it was the trim stripes on the wings. So, I put a little tape on the covering and continued flying without further problems.

However, this week, I had one problem that was not my fault... well, it was because I failed to secure the plane properly on the ground... and it flipped over and broke my favorite prop, a Bolly 13.5 x 8, and broke the wing mounting system as well as the wing mounting area where the bolts pass through.. one nylon bolt broke but the other did not and this tore up the wing.

It will be about a 2 hour or so fix and it will be back in the air.

This is one of the best high-wing aerobatic trainers I've flown, and an awful lot of fun to fly. Landings make even the worse pilot look good.

CGr.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:23 PM
ThisDayWakes

came across this while being bored, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBDE8&P=0, would this be a decent trainer? i do plan on doing warbirds, high wing but with tail dragger... just wondered, other than than i was leaning toward the goldberg .60, alpha 60, or nexstar .46

Being that i'm on the sim 2 hrs a day... Just came across thing and it was appealing...
price is nice, would get the bigger sig, but just out of my price range.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 05:10 PM
bigedmustafa

The Rascal family of ARFs/Kits from Sig are faster than most trainers. They can be flown slowly but are more of a high wing sport plane design than a true trainer by most accounts.

The glow powered Rascals are designed for an inverted engine as well. This would tend to make them less user friendly as a beginner plane as they would be more difficult to tune and start than a plane with a standard upright engine mounting system.

If you want something reasonably priced yet aerobatic, you could consider starting out with a Great Planes Big Stik .60 or a Hangar 9 Super Stick/Ultra Stik .60 as your primary trainer. These planes are very aerobatic, but can be slowed down and flown like a trainer. The Big Stik .60 in particular would be a good trainer, the Big Stik ARFs generally have a bit more dihedral in the wing than the Hangar 9 ARFs.

With Stiks, the beauty is in the flying. They do come with bolt-on wings, however. If you bought a GP Big Stik .60 or H9 Super Stick .60 with a Magnum XLS .61 or a Thunder Tiger GP-61 engine and a 4-channel sport radio like the Hitec Laser 4, you could spend around $340 to $370 total for a very high quality trainer/sport airframe, high quality sport engine, and quality radio package.

Set it up with very gentle control throws to start out and work with an instructor until you're taking off and landing comfortably. Once you're finished with basic training and you want to learn aerobatics, just increase the throw rates and crank up the throttle. It could be years before you want to buy a second plane!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM
ThisDayWakes

well, i already went out and got a DX-7 so radio is set, and will be for a good long while. i just figured i could get used to a tail dragger trainer.

I know its just a trainer, but just really dont want the rubber band thing going on...
just everyone has a different opinion on trainers. but all agree on high wing. and have heard to stray away from Evo engines.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.