Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

oops, I suffered from over confidence.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

oops, I suffered from over confidence.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
sportrider_fz6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oops, I suffered from over confidence.

saturday I was flying my PZ fw-190 with poorwboy and his PZ spitfire. we were flying in a staggered formation occationally chasing a few Super Cubs that my wife and father in law were flying. It was really cool looking to watch the warbirds flying so close together. I decided to roll the plane inverted as we made a pass, I flew a lap inverted beside the spitfire, it was cool! I righted the plane and we "attacked" the Super Cubs again. as we were flying are victory lap I decided to go inverted again, as I banked into the last corner I let the plane get a little to low and as I tried to nose it out of it, it became clear that I wasn't going to make it!!! I tried to roll out of it but it was to late before I could right the plane it burned in and buried the gearbox and motor about 3 inches into the grass. the fuselage is distroyed, minor damage to the wing, the motor and gear box survived. no excuses for this one!!! oh well I'll fix it and fly it again. wish I had a vid of the action it was pretty cool having 4 planes buzzing around at the same time!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
simmo8

Default RE: oops, I suffered from over confidence.

g-day
it is kool when you have 3 or 4 planes all flying around together bad luck with the crash
happy flying for next time

simmo
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
brooke

I was lamost in the same boat this past weekend. As I was flying all alone at my home a few friends of mine, who don't fly and just like watching me fly, stopped in while I was still in the air. They also had another guy with them who has never seen rc planes flying before.

I was flying my 60 4* and was rather high trying to learn new tricks when one of the guys told me to bring it down closer so the new guy could see it better. Of course I did and I was just doing the kind of flying I am able to do and not worry so much about crashing. I flipped it inverted from about 15' off the ground and then when I went to flip it back upright I got the dumb thumbs and somehow saved it. I think my plane was cutting the grass just as I pulled it up.

I was able to cover my dump ***** attack up when they all started to say the "Holy s***" "That was cool" etc..... stuff. Since they do not fly and only watch they had no idea. However a few minutes latter they told me to do that again and I just said I was low on fuel and better bring it in.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Missileman

sportrider_fz6, sorry to hear about FW-190, I hate it when I put a plane in and it doesn't help that my wife laughs at me when I do.
brooke, yup that is the way to do it "I meant to do that " I remember not long ago I came in to hard on a landing, hard enough that when the mains hit the ground the plane bounced back up kind of high so I just throttled up and went, someone behind me yelled "Nice touch and go" I just yelled back "Thanks"
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
YUKONFLYR

Sorry to hear about your plane. Everyone has a bad day.........confidence comes from experience, don't let a negative experience shatter your confidence, get back up there, I doubt the same thing will happen again now that you have more experience
Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 PM
yetti831

Hey, don't worry about it! A few weeks back, after having soloed with my Avistar, I went to the field. This time, however, my three roommates showed up. "I want to see him crash it," they'd say to each other. Well, I was going to show them! I was flying beautiful just the day before. Up she goes, and within seconds I'm yelling "Somethings wrong! Oh, God!" Fifteen seconds later it was in the ground, the fuse split down the center, and the wings in half. Looking back, I could have saved the wings, but I already knew that if I put it into the ground I was going to get a Tower 40. All you can do is joke about it. I have a great pick with my demolished Avistar.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sportrider,
Sorry to hear about your loss, but rest assured that it's happened to the best of us. It's funny how that works. Everytime we get cocky in our flying abilities Murphy has a way of stepping up and feeding us some humble pie!!!

ken
Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like sometimes when you start getting to the point that you don't have to think about things, right in the middle of it all you end up with that little Taco Bell dog on your ankle.....[:@]
Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 AM
sportrider_fz6

thanks for the good thoughts!!! I guess one thing good that came out of this is my father in law has been struggling a little with the basics. everytime he loses it he has gotten pretty mad, after watching my crash and me telling him "oh well, it's just part of the hobby" he has lightened up a little bit on his mishaps and is actually flying better now since he's not so stressed out on crashing. a guy from a club I was talking to told me "every plane has an expiration date, some of them are just really soon". LOL it will cost me about $60.00 to fix the mistake and get the FW back in the air, not to bad considering the amount of damage.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: sportrider_fz6

"every plane has an expiration date, some of them are just really soon".
That is simply not true but gets repeated often. Many planes never suffer a crash, I imagine the balsa will eventually decay and fall apart ?
I wonder who coined that phrase? Probably someone that did't fly well
Good thing full scale pilots don't follow that motto.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 PM
YUKONFLYR

ORIGINAL: Missileman

ORIGINAL: sportrider_fz6

"every plane has an expiration date, some of them are just really soon".
That is simply not true but gets repeated often. Many planes never suffer a crash, I imagine the balsa will eventually decay and fall apart ?
I wonder who coined that phrase? Probably someone that did't fly well
Good thing full scale pilots don't follow that motto.
One could speculate as to the origion of the phrase due to the attrition rate of the models that we fly in comparison to full size aircraft

With saying that, I have a P-51 model that has worn out 3 engines with 2 owners, and its still flying..........