Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 F-22 Raptor/P-51 Mustang PTS

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hanger 9 F-22 Raptor/P-51 Mustang PTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Limit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 F-22 Raptor/P-51 Mustang PTS

I recently purchased a F-22 raptor pts and was wondering if the engine/servos/pushrods etc. could be transferred to the P-51 mustang? The reason I'm interested in possibly making the change is if I severely damage the body the mustang ARF is only $120.00 V.S. $160.00 for the raptor. Just curious.....Let me know. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:37 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Hanger 9 F-22 Raptor/P-51 Mustang PTS

The engine and servos will work fine but you will need different push rods.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The pushrods and control hardware should be included with the P-51 ARF. The engine and servos out of the F-22 should go in to the Mustang with no problems.

Ken
Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM
manks

ORIGINAL: Limit

I recently purchased a F-22 raptor pts and was wondering if the engine/servos/pushrods etc. could be transferred to the P-51 mustang? The reason I'm interested in possibly making the change is if I severely damage the body the mustang ARF is only $120.00 V.S. $160.00 for the raptor. Just curious.....Let me know. Thanks!
How bad is it banged up? My experience is that the fuse is much easier to fix than a wing, why not spend a couple of bucks on glue and balsa and do a repair?

I would also think about buying a real trainer, not one of the PTS planes which are not nearly as forgiving and new pilot friendly as a proper trainer.

A question - are you getting instruction or trying to learn on your own?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also think about buying a real trainer, not one of the PTS planes which are not nearly as forgiving and new pilot friendly as a proper trainer.

Students can be trained on these models (especially those having natural talent), but frankly the slightly sadistic side of me would really take pleasure in watching the marketing director for Hangar 9 tarred and feathered. They are doing a great disservice to students by marketing this as an absolute equivalent to the traditional trainer.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Nathan King
Students can be trained on these models (especially those having natural talent), but frankly the slightly sadistic side of me would really take pleasure in watching the marketing director for Hangar 9 tarred and feathered. They are doing a great disservice to students by marketing this as an absolute equivalent to the traditional trainer.
You said a mouthfull brother!!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Ken
Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Limit

Yeah. I've got a Supercub and I lightly banged up my front wheel on my Raptor. I have every intention of repairing it. This is more down the road if I really FUBAR it. Thanks a lot for the info guy!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

It's disappointing that the same company who markets the Alpha 40, Alpha 60, and Arrow 40 trainers wants to push the P51 and F22 PTS trainers instead of marketing the world class products they already have in their lineup.

Maybe the Alpha 40 2.4 RTF is a sign that they're coming to their senses?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM
bdleon75

i just bought the raptor as an arf and i'm almost done building. It seems really heavy! almost more so than my 1/4 scale great planes cub. A little worried but we'll see. i'm using a 46FX that is tried and true from my alpha trainer that i really don't fly any more. Limit what size engine are you flying with and whats your take on it?

Great planes 1/4 scale piper cub(.72 saito)
hangar 9 twist(.82)
hangar 9 F-22 Raptor(.46FX O.S.)
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: bdleon75

i just bought the raptor as an arf and i'm almost done building. It seems really heavy! almost more so than my 1/4 scale great planes cub. A little worried but we'll see. i'm using a 46FX that is tried and true from my alpha trainer that i really don't fly any more. Limit what size engine are you flying with and whats your take on it?

Great planes 1/4 scale piper cub(.72 saito)
hangar 9 twist(.82)
hangar 9 F-22 Raptor(.46FX O.S.)
It flies really well, but exhibits neutral static stability. Basically, it will not correct itself. It will slow down almost as much as a trainer but flies best at a speed slightly faster than trainers. When I flew it I found that it was slightly more difficult for beginners to keep orientation because of the profile.

Basically, it's a nice airplane but not as easy as a traditional trainer.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

[sm=wink_smile.gif]
ORIGINAL: manks

ORIGINAL: Limit

How bad is it banged up? My experience is that the fuse is much easier to fix than a wing, why not spend a couple of bucks on glue and balsa and do a repair?

He didn't say it was banged up, he said in case he does bang it up, that it is cheaper to replace.[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 04-27-2008, 01:47 PM
WECoyote
My Feedback: (32)

Hi Limit! Where in or around Watertown do you fly?

Mike
Old 04-28-2008, 06:38 PM
[AKA]StraferX

I have a Nexstar and an old Midwest aero-star .40 and a P-51 PTS trainer. I learned on the P-51 PTS and after having flow the three of them I must say the P-51 is an all around better air plane as a trainer. It handles the wind better and flys better that the others. but thats just me. As for the Raptor..I think it blows for a trainer.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
bdleon75

It flies really well, but exhibits neutral static stability. Basically, it will not correct itself. It will slow down almost as much as a trainer but flies best at a speed slightly faster than trainers. When I flew it I found that it was slightly more difficult for beginners to keep orientation because of the profile.

Basically, it's a nice airplane but not as easy as a traditional trainer.
i imagine it will fly similiar to my twist. what size engine and prop did you use?
I've put a 11x6 apc with a truturn alum spinner. pictures are in my profile beacuse i dont know how to add them to here.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
FA82Showtime

i know some people who bought the raptor and a guy has a evolution 52 in it with a 11x7 an seems to fly like a dog.
I got a O.S 55ax and i dont know if i even wanna try to fly it.
They seem real lagy etc the O.S pulls the plane around no problem but still see people having toubles.
has anyone had same thing and how was it corrected
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
bdleon75

I just stopped by the local hobby shop and bought a gms .61 for the raptor. the 46fx barely got it off the ground. it pulled ok once in the air but id rather have power to spare and use throttle management. than not have enough and get into trouble.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I just stopped by the local hobby shop and bought a gms .61 for the raptor. the 46fx barely got it off the ground. it pulled ok once in the air but id rather have power to spare and use throttle management. than not have enough and get into trouble.
What prop did you have on it??? I flew this plane last summer when I visited Minnflyer for our GettingAirborne project. He wanted me to fly this plane, both in the trainer mode and then in regular mode. He had the stock 46 engine on it, and with a 3 bladed prop on it the plane flew like a bowl of mashed potatoes. But when we took all the training aids off and put a 2 bladed prop on it the plane turned into a nice flying plane that had plenty of power. I was really quite impressed with it.

Ken
Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: RCKen

You said a mouthfull brother!!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Ken
Oh, c'mon, the PTS P-51D is not a bad trainer.... provided that is correctly used as one ( e.g. don't remove the aids ).

It's definitely not a plane for someone w/o an instructor and buddy box though.

However I'd agree that the F-22 ( to paraphrase something someone said here ) "blows chunks" as a trainer. It's a handful.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
bdleon75

i had the 46FX with a 11x6 apc with a tru turn alum spinner. on nice flat grass it was a dog on take off and a very slow climbout. i kept the climbout really shallow because i was worried it was gonna stall. once flying level it flew nice. i even tried a roll and it tracked beautifully. but i had to stay at full throttle the entire time. this gms was only 79.99 for 2 hp and looks great. i did have to buy a new motor mount for it to fit but that included still cheaper than an O.S. i havent flown it yet still breaking it in. maybe this weekend.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 PM
bdleon75

ok so i flew the raptor today. it was a little gusty but oh well.
its now set up with the gms .61 turning a 11x7 apc with a truturn alum spinner. the cg is at its forward most point 5 3/4in.
60% expo on the elevator and aileron
rudder mixed with ailerons 40%
flaps set on switch approx. 1in deflection

heres the upside:
1# no more bouncing the nose up and down when you taxi. even on grass.
2# takes off like a JET!
3# absolutely SCREAMS down the straightaways!
4# lands like a JET, no floating. at a little above idle with flaps down comes in solid.

heres the downside:
see #4 above. Get over it.

It flew like a dream. i wouldnt recommend this airplane with anything less than a .61 and not newbie friendly unless you use expo. even then, jeesh hang on.

just my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
OkieTrucker

Yea, because a student would look this [sm=drowning.gif] when he took off and like this [sm=cry_smile.gif] when he crashed it. I just today witnessed a club member with over 20 years try to fly one and it was squirrly!! There was not any damage that can't be fixed (He has 20 years experience and is an excellent pilot), but students stay AWAY!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ok so i flew the raptor today. it was a little gusty but oh well.
its now set up with the gms .61 turning a 11x7 apc with a truturn alum spinner. the cg is at its forward most point 5 3/4in.
60% expo on the elevator and aileron
rudder mixed with ailerons 40%
flaps set on switch approx. 1in deflection

heres the upside:
1# no more bouncing the nose up and down when you taxi. even on grass.
2# takes off like a JET!
3# absolutely SCREAMS down the straightaways!
4# lands like a JET, no floating. at a little above idle with flaps down comes in solid.

heres the downside:
see #4 above. Get over it.

It flew like a dream. i wouldnt recommend this airplane with anything less than a .61 and not newbie friendly unless you use expo. even then, jeesh hang on.

just my 2 cents.
Was the .61 a tight fit? I have a S.T. .61 laying on the shelf..........
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 PM
microsprint9

I have read that the biggest downfall of this plane is the excessive downthrust built into the firewall and makes this plane fly like a dog, i heard that a few washers placed behind the motor mount will fix this and make the plane handle and fly much better, i know i will be doing this to my new F-22. Still have to decide on my new TT PRO.46 or my new Magnum. 52XLS, will have to break both in and see which has the better #'s.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
OkieTrucker

ORIGINAL: microsprint9

I have read that the biggest downfall of this plane is the excessive downthrust built into the firewall and makes this plane fly like a dog, i heard that a few washers placed behind the motor mount will fix this and make the plane handle and fly much better, i know i will be doing this to my new F-22. Still have to decide on my new TT PRO.46 or my new Magnum. 52XLS, will have to break both in and see which has the better #'s.
It will handle like a different airplane, the down thrust IS the Downfall of this plane. Take out about 7 degrees, leaving about 3 degrees, 3 thin washers will work, if it doesnt feel right try 4. You see mine in some of my past posts.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

In another forum, I read that Hangar 9 is discontinuing both PTS models (Rapture, and P-51). If true, when the warehouse drys up they are done. Maybe H9 is doing a re-design, new color schemes, beefing them up a bit (they have a pretty fuse in my opinion), we will have to wait and see. Anyone else heard this through the grapeline?

Glad I picked up an ARF, working on it right now, got a new GMS47 for it but might put an old OS61FS in if it will fit. I will be hooking up the flaps and since this will be my 3rd plane in the hanger, I'm going to leave off all the PTS stuff. Can't wait to see her fly, I love warbirds!

DG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.