Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A GOOD 2nd PLANE

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A GOOD 2nd PLANE

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
supercubfanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A GOOD 2nd PLANE

I now have a Nexstar.What is a good low wing plane to buy after this.I'm considering the sig four star 120.I see large planes in the air better than smaller ones.I want a good 7-9 channel radio with alot of model memory.Any suggestions
Old 05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
spiral_72

Default RE: A GOOD 2nd PLANE

ORIGINAL: supercubfanatic

I now have a Nexstar.What is a good low wing plane to buy after this.I'm considering the sig four star 120.I see large planes in the air better than smaller ones.I want a good 7-9 channel radio with alot of model memory.Any suggestions
In my opinion, you'd do good to save all that money for the time being and pull the motor, tank and radio/servos out of that Nextar and put it in a Pulse or a low wing trainer. A Kaos? Pheonix makes a few nice low wing trainers. The SIG Four Star is a popular choice.

I moved from a trainer to an Advance 40 about 4 months ago. It was enough to learn the differences between a high wing and a low wing plane without worrying about the cost of a 1.20 sized plane. Maybe it could be your 3rd?

That .46 can make your .40 sized low wing trainer a rocket once you're used to it, but they generally fly slow as a trainer for the second plane. You'll spend $150 at most and have that second plane!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely keep the trainer. If you are going to go for a second plane, that's good, your choice is a tad big, in my opinion. If you want something larger, I would opt for something in the 60 size, such as the Sig Four Star 60 or the Tiger 60. If it were me, and it was several years ago, I would go for the Tiger 60 with a good OS .75 AX on board.

Your choice of radios is fine. There are several on the market that are outstanding options. For instance, the Spektrum DX7 is a fabulous 7 channel radio. The Airtronics RDS8000 is an outstanding 8 channel radio. Both are 2.4 GHz radio systems. The DX7 comes with servos, and is about $350. the RDS8000 does not come with servos and goes for about $230.

For servos, you have many choices. You do not need high torque servos for either plane I've mentioned. Mainly because the wings will have a servo on each one so it will share the aileron load. The elevator only needs one servo and will operate just fine with a standard torque servo, as will the rudder and throttle. So, you can get those for around $20.00 each, usually a few bucks less, that's right at $100 bucks. You can get cheaper servos, or should I say less expensive servos like Hitec's that work just fine.

Either of those planes will work out just fine with standard equipment, as I've pointed out, and as I've done with the Tiger 60. I flew that plane for about two years and would still have it except someone wanted it badly and bought it from me.

As I said when I started out, don't sell or disassemble your trainer. You will be surprised how often you will want to go back to it and fly it, especially on one day when you are at the field with both planes, and you flew the batteries dry on the larger, more capable model, and you want something to fly.. voila.. the Nexstar. Also, at some time, you will want to go back to basics and fly the trainer just to brush up on flying a basic airframe. So, don't get rid of it, nor tear it apart for components. The components are inexpensive enough to stock a new plane with new equipment, especially if you buy a radio that already has servos with the system.

By the way, I have a Tiger 120, which is very similar to the Sig Four Star 120, and it's a great flyer, but quite a handful for a relative beginner to put together. I don't know how the CG would work out with the Four Star, but it was a bit of a challenge for me with the Tiger 120. So, you really should move up in size slowly, and the Tiger or Sig Four Star 60's are great choices. They are larger than the Nexstar and quite visible, but the right size for a second plane.

CGr.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
supercubfanatic

WHat engines would give plenty of power to the four star 120
Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An OS 1.20 AX.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM
RPool

Look at the Ace Cloud Dancer for a really good second plane.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM
fozjared

ORIGINAL: CGRetired
Your choice of radios is fine. There are several on the market that are outstanding options. For instance, the Spektrum DX7 is a fabulous 7 channel radio. The Airtronics RDS8000 is an outstanding 8 channel radio. Both are 2.4 GHz radio systems. The DX7 comes with servos, and is about $350. the RDS8000 does not come with servos and goes for about $230.

CGr.

dx7 with rx and servos 309 at most any lhs!! that is the very best radio for you my man!
if you are interested in a large wingspan and something that will increase your skill level here is a good plane for the money:

http://texasrcplanes.com/j3cub1.html

or if you are looking for something a little more sporty try this low wing plane with a symmetrical airfoil.

http://texasrcplanes.com/explorerl1.html

or a cheap sport plane that would be a bigger jump from a basic trainer, but for a great price, not as large as you might want, but a good step up i think.

http://texasrcplanes.com/supersporter40.html

just some options for you, i would definitely recommend the dx-7 though, no way around that!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:32 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Everyone, just to let any interested I am selling my Four Star 60.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=405882[/link]

Thanks,
DTB