Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

PULSE 60 AND SUNDOWNER 50

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

PULSE 60 AND SUNDOWNER 50

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM
patzane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PULSE 60 AND SUNDOWNER 50

I don't know 1 person yet that had to add any dead weight (lead) to the Sundowner 50 when using a 2 stoke 61 or 91 to get the correct CG. Feel free to look in the SD thread in the extreme prop section and you will find many there using an OS 91 including myself and did not have to and any dead weight to get the correct CG. We just moved our battery around to get the correct CG. I do not mean to put anyone down, but if you have been in this hobby long, we learn how to move things around to get the correct CG when going with a bigger motor.

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

The FL-70 is probably an ideal 1st 4-stroke. It doesn't require a lengthy break-in because it's not a ringed engine design. It's powerful and easy to tune, but tuning a 4-stroke is harder to do by ear when compared to 2-strokes because the lower peak rpms make small changes harder to notice.

If you have an experienced pilot handy with a tachometer who can help you with the high speed needle, you should be up in the air fairly quickly.

Edit: As for 2-strokes, the .61 FX would be a bad choice because of weight. It's 670 grams, about 100 grams heavier than the recommend weight that Nathan King his Sundowner 50 ARF would balance with.

Heavy engines and lead added to balance make for poor flying aircraft.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 PM
jamesrxx951

i have to agree with pat, i also have the sd50 and using a os91fx and to get the cg i just made a balsa mount for the battery just behind the canopy and it cg'd great and still under the max weight limit per horizon. just had to look at it to make it and it works great. the only problem with mine it's i really have a hard time landing, i'm used to 3d planes and it's hard for me to land fast but that's my issue and not the planes. i'll get i hope because i love flying this plane.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jamesrxx951

i have to agree with pat, i also have the sd50 and using a os91fx and to get the cg i just made a balsa mount for the battery just behind the canopy and it cg'd great and still under the max weight limit per horizon. just had to look at it to make it and it works great. the only problem with mine it's i really have a hard time landing, i'm used to 3d planes and it's hard for me to land fast but that's my issue and not the planes. i'll get i hope because i love flying this plane.
Okay, sounds fair. I too put the battery behind the canopy as far as possible and ended up with a good CG. Any more weight would have put the CG too far forward for my liking.

Don't forget, this is a beginners forum. I wouldn't want to suggest increasing wingloading too much.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I myself don't own a Sundowner 50, I was making my comments based on the feedback from Nathan King. The best I can offer is, having seen Nathan fly his Sundowner, Nathan's Sundowner 50 ARF doesn't appear to be hard to land at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWu632OxKVw

If you like how your Sundowner 50 ARF looks, handles, and lands with a .91 FX on the nose, then that is terrific! Enjoy.