Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Alpha 40 Trainer

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Alpha 40 Trainer

Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
walkingtall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 40 Trainer

Hello all,

I am going to purchase my first plane this weekend and learn to start flying. I have always had an interest in flying R/C planes and now it seems my 7 year old son, after seeing some being flown last weekend, has an interest as well. There will be a huge event in Greenville, NC this Saturday that we are going to attend and I am sure that it will make my wife very happy since she knows I want to buy a plane. Anyway, just rambling, I am going to purchase the Alpha Trainer 40 ARF plane and learn to fly that plane unless someone can tell why I shouldn't because this paticular plane has "this" problem.

Thanks for any advice.
Walkin
Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Blazer1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Alpha 40 Trainer

In reading my comments keep in mind I am new at this myself, but a bonus to that is I have recently been down the very road your own myself. I purchased the Sig Kadet LT-40 as a trainer and have been very pleased with it, I know of nothing "wrong" with the Alpha 40 but do know a few things better on the LT-40.

1.) The LT-40 is bigger, you will learn this is a huge plus!!!
2.) The LT-40 uses wing bolts not rubber bands like the Alpha 40, nothing wrong with rubberbands, just more trouble.
3.) The LT-40 is "less ARF" than the Alpha, this may seem like a negative but you will learn more about the plane and skills you will need with planes to come.
4.) The LT-40 is more of a true trainer than the Alpha meaning it will fly easier for a first timer, my friend learned to fly on a Alpha 40 and although it flys fine it is more aerobatic than the LT-40.

Someone who prefers the Alpha over the LT-40 could easily make a list showing how the Alpha is superiour to the LT-40, this is just my opioun. Others who are more qualified will be along shortly to give their thoughts. By the way , I REALLY like Sig products!!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Alpha 40 is a very capable trainer and there is no reason at all why you shouldn't get it if this is what you want. Yes, the LT-40 may be a better trainer, but that doesn't mean there isn't any reason why you can't get the Alpha if that is what you want to get. You'll do fine with it.

Ken
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 AM
f_shawn68

Welcome to the hobby. I too am new to flying and have read numerous posts on RCU. what I have found is, it doesnt matter what you like, someone will have a different opinion of it. In my many trips to the field, I have seen several trainers fly and every one of them flew great. Buying a plane is like deciding if you want Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Foreign........ etc. If you want the alpha, go and get it and you and your son will have a ball. Are you going to do the build yourself? I noticed you mentioned the arf. Or did you mean an RTF? Have you seen the new alpha with the spectrum radio? IMO, that would be an excelent starter as you dont have to worry about frequency conflict. If you can, get yourself a sim as well. It really makes a difference. I watched a guy at the club field on sunday make his first ever flight. He took off and landed and had only had time on the sim. He was hooked up to a buddy box, but the instructor never had to take the controls. Gook luck in your choice. Im sure you and your son will have alot of fun and its a great way to spend time with the kids.
Now go buy it and go flying.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As another resource to help answer some of your questions check out the site that Minnflyer and myself have put together specifically to help out people getting started in RC flying.

[link=http://www.gettingairborne.com]www.gettingairborne.com[/link]

And by all means, ask any questions you may have right here!!! That's what we're here for.

Ken
Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 AM
mclina

I learned on my Alpha 40 last summer. I had very good luck with it, as do most folks who get them. Functionally, you really can't go wrong with any of the popular trainers on the market: LT-40, PT-40, Alpha, Avistar, Tower Trainer, Tiger Trainer, Goldberg Eagle, NexStar, etc... They are all designed to be really easy to learn on, and pretty durable for beginners. A lot of the decision making comes down to what you think looks the best, what kind of radio gear your instructor might have, budget, etc...

Don't let anybody convince you that more expensive=better. You can learn to fly just as well with a Tower Trainer as you can with a NexStar.

The biggest step is deciding to get into the hobby. After that, you really can't go wrong. And taking it up with your son will make the experience even better for both of you.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

walkingtall,

The Alpha 40 is a great trainer, quite rugged and good flying. You won’t regret your choice there. Here are some tips I’ve found work on it, and I use on my students Alpha’s:

• Be sure to use Loctite when you assemble the tail so the bolts won’t back out. Actually use it on all metal to metal bolt or screw connections except the prop retaining bolt or any bolts on the engine its self.

• You don’t have to epoxy the wings together, just use some 2†packing tape. It’ll hold just fine. The aluminum tube in the wing is large enough that the wings will not separate in flight.

• Make sure it is properly balanced.

• Pull the pins out of the high-end and low-end needle valves – they prevent the engine from being properly tuned.

• First tank of fuel through the engine should be at a very rich setting. (If you’ve never run an engine in, get somebody with experience to help you if you can).

• Second tank alternate between very rich for 30 seconds, and peaking it for 30 seconds. Repeat for the whole tank.

• Third tank it’s ready to set the high-end needle at 400 rpm, or 3 or 4 clicks rich of peak and go fly. Here’s it’s helpful to get somebody with experience to help set the engine up properly.

• Elevator throw is generally not enough for a good flair as it comes from the factory. If it won’t hold the nose up on landing (wants to 3-point), then move the elevator pushrod in one hole on the control horn.

• Have an experienced pilot perform the maiden flight. It will most likely be out of trim.

• Most important – get an instructor if you don’t already have one.

So far I’ve had good luck using the stock 3-blade prop on the new Alpha 40’s (but it’s a dog on the Alpha 60).

Hogflyer
Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
carrellh

As you've seen in the replies, everyone has a favorite trainer. Often it is what they learned on. If you look at RCKen's "sticky" at the top of the 'Beginners' forum you will see that there are 50 or more ARF trainers that are proven good models. The Alpha is a good choice, especially if you and your son prefer the color scheme and graphics of it over others you have seen. With so many good choices, you might as well pick one that looks good to you and your son.

Totally unrelated to the original question: All kids are different so this may not apply. Even after your son becomes a good pilot, you might want to keep him on the trainer box. Really young kids often have a short attention span and do not always realize the plane needs constant attention. A few years ago a guy told me about flying with his young daughter. She was a goodenough pilot to fly solo, and was flying intermediate planes. In the middle of a flight, she stopped watching the plane because a butterfly few in front of her and she decided to watch it rather than fly the plane. Another time she just put down the transmitter, with the plane in the air, and went to play. Luckily he had the master transmitter so nothing bad happened. He said he never had to take control unless she decided she was done with flying and started doing something else.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Deathbunny_SG
My Feedback: (6)

Not much to say that hasnt already been said above except GET A SIMULATOR and an instructor. Some of the mods on here recomend not using a sim without at least talking to an instructor first. The hardest thing for new people to learn is memorizing stick movements in association with plane orientation. Being able to move the sticks the correct way without needing to think about it is not an easy thing to pick up and it takes lots of stick time to develop this muscle memory. A simulator makes it possible to get stick time in everyday instead of once or twice a week and really helps to develop muscle memory much faster then you could with limited IRL flight time. I tried to learn to fly with the help of instructors but no sim several years ago and could never get it down. This time I put several months of sim time in first and just went out and flew with no problems.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
HornetFitter
My Feedback: (2)

I bought an Alpha 60 RTF and it came with simulator software too! It allows you to plug in the supplied radio and practise on your PC...
I self taught on the Alpha on skiis and it was alot of fun. It has since been swapped over to the wheels and is still alot of fun to fly. Be aware that the nose gear bracket is pretty weak and you might just as well get a Du-Bro replacement to install.
The airplane is very stable and forgiving. It can fly very slow or it can be wrung out and flown thru some aerobatic maneuvers. Quality is good and durability seems good too.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
neilmot

Has anyone experienced a problem with the alpha 40's engine stalling when going from idel to full thorttle? We have a few new planes at our club with the same problem... The engines start instantly and even after a warmup with the glow batt the engine often stalls during the transition from idel to full. We have tried all the limited needle settings for LS and HS. If it were just 1 plane we would understand but it's at least 3 and 1 is a P51 PTS with the same .46 engine... We can get the planes flying but above half throttle. they sometimes stall on touch and goes... We have gone past the needle limits to get them to fly

Any ideas?

BTW the plane is a great trainer! Flys well. Very simple...

Neil
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
AstroDad

I have heard the rumors about those EVO engines stalling quite often before I decided what to purchase. because I heard that was a problem is why I decided to purchase an OS engine.

I figured that being a beginner I would already be challenged enough without having to worry about stalled engines. I have put 3-gallons of fuel through my OS and it has not yet dead-sticked on me except when I have run the fuel tank empty.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: neilmot

Has anyone experienced a problem with the alpha 40's engine stalling when going from idel to full thorttle? We have a few new planes at our club with the same problem... The engines start instantly and even after a warmup with the glow batt the engine often stalls during the transition from idel to full. We have tried all the limited needle settings for LS and HS. If it were just 1 plane we would understand but it's at least 3 and 1 is a P51 PTS with the same .46 engine... We can get the planes flying but above half throttle. they sometimes stall on touch and goes... We have gone past the needle limits to get them to fly

Any ideas?

Neil
I'm flying an Alpha60 with the .61 and have had little problem with it. We did remove the factory "stops" to tune the engine, but it's run just fine, especially after replacing the 3 blade prop after several flights and the gaining of some confidence in my flying skills. The transition from idle to WOT has been just fine after adjusttment.

I did have a dead stick this evening, and after putting a tach on the prop it turns out it was running a bit lean. I adjusted it out and after that I did another 15 minute flight with no issues. I'd buy the same engine/plane combination again in a heartbeat.

I'm planning on a PulseXT 60 for my next plane, and will probably go with an OS engine on this one. Not because of problems, but just to get some experience with a different make of engine. Besides the OS 75 has the same mounting dimentions as does their 61.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 AM
BrianSearles

Although it is slightly underpowered and has a few little quirks, I have had great luck with the Superstar EP if you had any interest in going electric. It's a great flyer, pretty stable for a 49" span.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
hogflyer

Any ideas?

Neil
I've got a couple of Evolution's as do some of my students and several other members in the club. All of them transition from low to high and back with no hesitation. Sounds like you need to set the low and high-end needle valves. Pull the limiter pins from both needles and tune it like any other engine and it’ll run just fine.

When you reset the needles, change the glow plug also. Once they hit the point where they really break-in, Evolution’s seem to fall on their face until the needles are reset. When you set the high speed needle, open it up to the point it starts to 4-stroke to make sure there is no junk caught behind the needle, then peak it and turn it 3 or 4 clicks rich.

Hogflyer
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
bruce88123

Any ideas?

Neil
It's not the engine - it's the tuning. Many need to have the limiters removed to be set correctly. Typically this condition is caused by an excessively rich idle mixture.

BTW - they are Evolution engines. Evo is an Italian brand and completely different. Don't slur a brand name just to save typing time. http://www.evo-engines.com/ or http://www.evolutionengines.com/
Old 07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Indy Park Flyer

Walkin,
I trained with the Alpha 40 last year and I found it to be a great trainer. The evolution engine runs well out of the box, and the plane is very forgiving. I would recommend you epoxy the horizontal stabilizer instead of using the bolts. The instructions for epoxying the stabilizer are listed in the build instrucstions as optional. The only knock I have heard about on the Alpha 40 is the wire landing gear. I purchased my plane used from someone who had aleady upgraded the gear. The issue seems to be a concern with the gear bending on hard landings. You can also save yourself some money on rubber bands by keeping a small sandwich bag of baby powder in your field box. When you are done flying, drop the used rubber bands in the powder to absorb the fule residue. I was able to get four of more flights out of a set of rubber bands using this method. As you can see, there are many opinions on what is best in this hobby. I would recommend you find a good instructor at a local field and listed to his or her instructions. Also, listen to the experienced flyers when they are talking amongst themselves. You can learn a lot that way and if you find an idea that works for you, try it.
Good Luck
Indy Park Flyer

Hangar:

Hangar 9 Alpha 40
Texas RC Planes Explorer L
Old 07-17-2008, 01:02 PM
opjose

Any ideas?

Neil
Stalling when advancing the throttle like that indicates that the low speed needle is too lean.

Adjust it to be a bit richer.

Also check to see that the needle is not "walking" as the Evolution engines are prone to do. You can cure this by placing a bit of exhaust tubing over the needle and clip.

Walking and the limiters not permitting you to make that "perfect" adjustment are what most people have problems with, concerning these engines.

Fix that and they are great.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
alfredbmor

Some guys at the field arrive with a new Alpha 40 size, others arrive with an Alpha 60 size, those who have the 40 size always want the 60 size and the 60 size owners do not want the 40 size.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM
hogflyer

I will agree the Alpha 60 does fly better due to its size and weight – and it’ll easily handle 25 mph winds to boot. I should have mine back up flying soon after I finish the conversion to flapperons.

Last night I was training with the Alpha predecessor, the Extra Easy 2, in 20 mph winds (like RCKen says, around here if you don’t learn to fly in those winds you don’t get to fly much) and it handled it just like the Alpha 40 – like there was no wind.

Here’s a picture of one of my students Alpha 60 that is powered by a Saito 1.00. I did this fly-by so he could get a picture of is plane. The Alpha will hold this attitude just a hair above stall speed all day long with no loss of control authority.

Hogflyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46697.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	992885  
Old 07-19-2008, 12:36 AM
TZflyer

We have been struggling with a few evolution engines at our club with the very same problem: they quit on us when advancing the throttle from idle.
This is a problem for new pilots deciding to abort their landing and go around for another approach.
After much tweaking and fiddling we found that all had overly rich idle settings even when set to the leanest the limiters will allow. We removed the limiters, leaned out the low end needles and voila! the engines ran perfectly.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
neilmot

Thanks....
We had 1 new Alpha 40 and 2- P51 pts (same engine)planes at the club. 2 of the engines had the same problems transitioning from idle to wot. we pulled the pins, tuned, and changed the plugs and got 1 engine to work. The other is going back to the factory on their request. It will be interesting to see what they find.

The engine manual mentions 2 Super Plugs, The HAN3011 which they say was designed to prevent flameouts during wot transitions and the HAN3006 Super Plug in the troubleshooting section under engine quits repeatedly.

Cheers,
neil
Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
neilmot

Thanks, we tried all that! This only happens when left to idle for 30 sec or longer...

neil
Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
neilmot

We pulled the needle limits and tuned the engine. The mixture was adjusted to where it wouldn't idle and every where in between... used the fuel line pinch test etc... checked for leaks.......

thank for the help!

neil
Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
bruce88123

Idle mixture adjustments are usually very sensitive and should be done in 1/8 turn increments. Larger adjustments can cause you to go right past the correct setting. And, of course, you may have other problems too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.