Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Started my Phoenix Dolphin 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Started my Phoenix Dolphin 40

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
TakingFlight96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Started my Phoenix Dolphin 40

You'll love the Dolphin. Although just something to keep in mind ; It does pretty good aerobatics but, it does not go inverted very well at all, I almost lost her after trying inverted flight, it started headed for the ground and if It would've went 5 more feet it would've been in pieces. I've learned my lesson, and hopefully you can learn from my mistake - Altitude is your friend. ceecrb1, I like the modifications you've done, I have to admit that pilot is "gay lumberjack" looking. But, I'm designing some different graphics to put on it. What size prop do you have on it ?

TF96
Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Yep, mods look good. Be careful of the dark canopy in the sun - I tossed the gay lumberjack too, painted the canopy and it melted a little. If I hadn't sold the Dolphin I was going to put wheel pants on it - I think that would really finish off the plane.

Plane flies great. TF96 maybe you need to move your CG a bit? How come it doesn't fly well inverted? I learned how to fly inverted on mine and thought it did so fairly well - ok coming from the perspective of just moving up from a flat bottomed trainer.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:47 PM
TakingFlight96

Maybe something in there is off, it used to be my dads 2nd plane and he gave it to me. I sounds to me like it didn't fly inverted to well earlier either based on what he said. I'm at my dads friends house so when I get home I'll have to balance her out. I don't know if I wasn't going fast enough or whatever but, it took a whole lot of elevator to keep it up level.

TF96
Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 PM
glasair72
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys; My first time on this forum. I'm flying a Dolphine too. I first started with a 40 size and then put an Evolution 46 in it, then my problems started. Here's the mods that I did to fix things. I also changed the wire gear to a T6 Aluminum and put 3.5 tires from my old mustang. I also drilled the holes that were alread there for the wire gear to 1/4-20 and mount the aluminum gear there. I also put a ply block behine the gear from the inside, but later foudn that the wing dowels were hitting it, so I had to cut them shorter. HOWEVER with the bigger engine the fuel system was a BIG problem. I couldn't run the eng at full throttle without it cutting out. One of my own created probems, was the Evo was longer and I mounted it closer to the FW and with the tank coming forward, the fuel lines were a little kinked. That's when I looked over the fuel system more and found that those plastic tubes that come with the tank are just over 1mm inside dia. Not enough for a bigger engine. I tried replacing the plastic tube with 3/16 and this was to small, so I used 5/16 tubing with the OD being the same as the plastic tubes that came with the kit.and was able to get these thigt. I then made a foam collar that fit around the tank outlet to keep the tank back a bit. I also installed a zip tie in the two slots on the former just at the rear of the tank that is used for the throttle lingage and it hold the tank against the foam in front. Ran two tanks today at full throttle with no hick ups. Wtih the Evo all the way back, I had to add about 4oz. of lead in the nose. During testing today, I tried a couple of different props. I used all APC props, No. 1 was 9 1/2 6 and I got 14,800 rpm. No2. was a 10-7 and I got 13,800, Not. 3 was a 10-8 and I got 11,800. Can't wait for Saturday.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Jetdesign

Hmm, I had no problems at all with a .46 and stock muffler; just assembled as per the instructions. I've used the same plastic fuel parts on a few planes now and have had no problems.

You are right to reinforce for the new gear. I was able to do it with a few pieces of 3/4" square hardwood stock.

I was flying with an 11x7 and switched it (against recommendations) in the middle of a pattern meet. Everyone immediately noticed the 12x5 and how much better the engine pulled and the plane climbed that much better. I found this to be a winning combination, pun sort of intended[&:]
Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 AM
5focus

I put a Magnum .46 with a 12.25 X 3.75 APC prop on my Dolphin. It has great vertical, plenty of speed, and slower landing speeds.
Landings have to be done with care because of the larger prop, a soft 3-point is a must.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97430.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1075433  
Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 AM
sdg666

Hi,

I use a OS 46ax, with the standard fuel tank and tubing without any problems, exept to soft landing gear. I run an APX 11X5, that what seems to be the best for my flying taste, but do to sound limitation at my field, I've change it to MAS 11X6, don't ask why, MAS are quieter than APC or graupner.

I just need to put a dural landing gear or make one from stronger wire.... want to you recommande?

Thanks
SDG666

P.S.: I'll be switch to an OS 55ax... that will be a lot of fun... screaming fast
Old 11-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Jetdesign

I used the Dubro Super Strength Landing Gear. It's fiberglass and won't bend like aluminum. It's round like the gear from a Yak, and gives you plenty of prop clearance. It's paintable so you'd have to paint it white to look the best, but no big deal.

I drilled a bunch of holes in it and it broke during a rough landing (if you want to call it that; half on the strip, half off) so my suggestion is to use the holes that are already drilled in the gear, and don't drill out holes 'to make it lighter'.

After that, I used the Dural gear, and that worked well, too, but landings were much smoother with the fiberglass gear.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 AM
compi
My Feedback: (3)

does anyone have pictures of the modifications you made in order to accomodate the dubro super strength landing gear and what axles did you use, let me know, thank you.