Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

receiver after crashes...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

receiver after crashes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: receiver after crashes...

Don't know where my posts go sometimes

Biged, thanks. I'll definitely check that out. I sent an email to Futaba about getting a checkup, and they gave me a generic response to have it serviced under warranty, and if it was not due to defect they would tell me the repair cost, so I don't know if this is a free check up or not. I do have a new crystal on the way just to play it a little safer. One day I'll get it checked, then have two crystals which I'd need anyway, granted I learn from these mistakes and don't keep burying my planes. I put two broken fuse's out with the trash last night, it was so sad!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tails usually survive a crash. Cut it off square to the fuselage and mount it on a plaque and hang it on the wall of your "trophy room"

That trip to the trash can is always a hard decesion. Can I salvage this or use parts for a pattern to build another? The only good thing about a lawn dart landing at full throttle from 500 ft up is the decession is usually easy.

Don
Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Jetdesign

The only good thing about a lawn dart landing at full throttle from 500 ft up is the decesion is usually easy.
X2!!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:22 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Campgems
The tails usually survive a crash. Cut it off square to the fuselage and mount it on a plaque and hang it on the wall of your "trophy room"

[X(]
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Campgems

[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88684.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	967529  
Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Campgems

Ohh. I've got to get to the meeting real early Sat. Great photo.

Don
Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
aa2dd

ouch!!!!!! been there ..... done that ... [][:-][&o]

Bruce
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Jetdesign

I just called Futaba (Hobbico) product support, and was told that Futaba crystals ARE COMPATIBLE with GWS RD8SL (not with RD8SL-H).

That's great So I now can safely fly my new plane with new radio gear and have no worries
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

That's cool that Hobbico confirmed Futaba crystal compatibility with the RD8SL! I've seen them work first-hand, but it's nice to have the manufacturer's rep confirm it.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Jetdesign

Biged, I completely agree. Thanks for planting the seed
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Jetdesign

A little bit of an update: just out of curiosity I called GWS and asked about using a Futaba crystal. They said for the full range, dual conversion GWS receivers, Futaba crystals are listed for use as a direct replacement. They said just to do a thorough range check before use.

He did say something about proprietary brands, and that's why you can't use a Futaba crystal in a JR radio, or a Hitec radio, etc. Generic crystals will work in those brands though.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If you ever need crystals for any major brand of radio, don't hesitate to work with Performance Devices. They offer crystals for JR, Hitec, Airtronics, GWS, and Futaba and it was their advice that led to my trying Performance Devices and Futaba Crystals in the GWS RD8SL. Top quality products, and the company really knows RC radio equipment!

http://www.performancedevices.com/
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Jetdesign

ok will do
thanks
Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 AM
ChuckW

For anyone on the fence about getting a crashed receiver checked out, consider this...

I sent the Spektrum receiver out of my crashed GP Cherokee to Horizon for a check over. The crash WAS NOT due to the receiver, I just wanted to make sure it was OK. I told Horizon to give me an estimate for any needed reapirs and if it was too close to the price of a new receiver, just trash it and I'd buy another one. Fed-ex dropped of a package containing my receiver today with an invoice showing a complete check out and software upgrade. The invoice was for $0. All I am out is the priority mail shipping to get it there.

They didn't have to do this. The crash had nothing to do with their product. Even if I had to pay $20-$30 it would have been worth it for the piece of mind. That's what I call valuing your customers and wanting to treat them right. It definitely insured that I will buy plenty more from them in the future.

On another slightly off topic note, Great Planes is also replacing the airplane free of charge. Again, they did not have to do this. It sure appeared that the tail came off and caused the crash but most companies would likely have just ignored me. They too will get a lot more of my business. Before you think about buying from some no-name company or some anonymous seller on an auction site, think about this.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:37 AM
cappaj1

gaRCfield,

If you don't mind, how did those crashes happen, how could you have avoided them, and with what plane(s)?

Being a newbie I'm always interested in any info that might help me avoid a crash of my own.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Jetdesign

No problem!

Long story short, I was doing one aerobatic move after another, not planning anything out. I'd complete a move, then say "ok, let me try this one..." instead of finishing a move, making sure I was in control, turning around, and trying something else. Mix in some trying to impress people and playing with a different, 'sportier feeling' plane for the second crash (same thing, not planning) and there you go.

What I learned is to do one move at a time, then make sure I'm 'centered' in myself before trying something else. Now I'm up to doing maybe 3 in a row, then fly the pattern once to regain my head.

Oh yeah, they say to fly at least 2 mistakes high, not 30 feet and inverted Yep, I was flying both the Nexstar and the Avistar inverted for 90% of my flights about 30 feet off the deck. Definitely asking for trouble with only a month of experience.

Hope this helps.