Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Wind wind go away come again never!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wind wind go away come again never!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 AM
nexstar22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wind wind go away come again never!

brett I feel your pain!! I always have to fly really early in the morning due to the fact that after 10am the wind really starts to pick up. I've even been scheduling my real flight lessons early do to wind. I just can win when it comes to wind!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

The airplane does not know that the wind is blowing. If you have a model that will fly at 60 MPH, then you are flying in a 60 Mile per Hour wind even on a calm day. Learn to fly regardless of the weather conditions (within reason), and you can fly virtually every day.

Bill, AMA 4720
Then my models seem to be smarter, or at least more in tune with their environment, than yours.

Once airborne in a steady 30 mph breeze I'll grant you that . . . for the most part. But if it were totally true a symmetrical racetrack parrern would not gradually position you further and further downwind. (I have sailed for 30 years and current ALWAYS messes up your navigation if you don't compensate). There is also the infamous "Figure 9" that I have watched even very experienced pilots perform in entering a loop from a downwind approach and failing to compensate for the tailwind. Crunch. And then there are the 10 gusting to 30 and 45ΒΊ angle variable winds we usuallly get. I'd rather fly in a steady 25 than a gusty 10 to 20 any day.

We are in the midst of thunderstorm season and I have taken off in 5 only to land in 35 on more than one occasion. The model may have been unaware of the peril but I was carrying enough tongue-bite knee-shake for both of us.

Depends a great deal on the model. power, speed applied and airfoil. The model may in fact be neutral to the moving cell of atmosphere, but near-ground interactions (like take-off) or low speed (like banking a low power trainer with dihedral and a flat airfoil) will sure enough need you to remind the model the wind is blowing whether it happens to know or not.
Charlie P,

Nope, not at all, it has to do with you flying the model, and not allowing the model to be drifted by vagrant winds aloft. The fact remains, You must fly the model, and airspeed is relative. Don't you have an apparent wind readout on your sailboat? It measures the wind against the boat's heading. If you sail head on into the wind (0 points), the boat does not know the wind is blowing now does it? Neither does your airplane. It's you who are not controlling your airplane, or sailing your boat. Allow the boat to fall off a few points, and it resumes sailing (if you have the sails set correctly). The same goes for your plane. As long as your airspeed (relative) is sufficient to provide lift, you can fly. If your knees start knocking at the thoughts of a 20 mile per hour wind, then it's not the plane, it's you. Every year at Top Gun, the wind is 20+ MPH, and normally is a variable set of cross winds and shears. Guess what? Everyone still flys, and most do it very well. Learn to love the wind. I'll bet you start taking a couple of reef's in your main as soon as the breeze hits 20 MPH. Mine likes a nice little blow.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anybody at Top Gun have a 3-1/2 pound plane?

I didn't say I sat out the wind. I said I noticed the wind and my models react quite noticably to it. My 14 lb Ultimate shrugs off winds that make my 3.5 lb Hot Stik a real handful . . but that's a real handful in 5 mph winds, too.

Yep, my last sailboat was 34 ft and it had a digital readout of true and aparant wind (and the GPS displayed Course-Over-Ground vs. Heading). My 17' Thistle weighed eight tons less and it was VERY much more wind sensitive. Like uncontrollable without a third crew in anything over 15 knots. Coincidentally, the 34 was a real snoozer in anything UNDER 15 knots and would not get to hull speed tacking upwind until the wind got thereabouts.

If you're not noticing and compensating for the difference between 5 mph and 25 mph winds when flying your maneuvers probably aren't all that smooth and symmetrical. ;-)
Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Septic_Shock

Brett65:

Where are you flying in Oklahoma City?
It was always funny at the TORKS field when the wind was calm, seems like all of us had problems landing anywhere close to the runway without that headwind!

Trainers can be alot of fun in the wind. Watching guys basically landing with little to no ground speed is a woot.

If you are flying at the TORKS field, one word of advice is to watch the north end of the field (toward the lake, with all the tall trees). There can be some weird updrafts over those trees on windy days. Not bad if you stay sharp, but I have seen planes pull an unexpected roll due to the updrafts.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Septic_Shock

Brett65:

Where are you flying in Oklahoma City?
It was always funny at the TORKS field when the wind was calm, seems like all of us had problems landing anywhere close to the runway without that headwind!

Trainers can be alot of fun in the wind. Watching guys basically landing with little to no ground speed is a woot.

If you are flying at the TORKS field, one word of advice is to watch the north end of the field (toward the lake, with all the tall trees). There can be some weird updrafts over those trees on windy days. Not bad if you stay sharp, but I have seen planes pull an unexpected roll due to the updrafts.
I fly out at Baxter Field at Draper Lake, its closer to where I live in the moore,okc area. I work around the corner from Lake Hefner and can see it from my office building (my boss' window [&o]). I would like to fly out there too, but I have only JR radios right now and I heard because of all the radio traffic in that area, you can't use a JR radio w/o lots of glitching. They say it didn't really effect the futabas, which is kinda weird.[sm=50_50.gif]