Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking at Second Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking at Second Planes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Bob Mitchell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at Second Planes

I've got about 25 flights on my Alpha60 at this point and am having a ball with it. Went to a 12x6 2 blade prop and that really woke it up. I certainly haven't "mastered" it yet, but feel very comfortable with it. I have no trouble both making it go where I want, an making it do what I want it to. My take-offs and landings are smooth and controlled; nice level turns, etc. Still need some practice in windy conditions, though. Can even fly the pattern inverted with it. (up high, of course).

Here's what I'm looking at for number 2:

>> H9 Pulse XT 60
>> Sig 4* 120
>> GP Giant Super Sportster

From the list it ought to be obvious that I like the bigger planes. It's a help with my 60 year old eyes. That's one of the reasons I chose the Alpha60 for my first plane. I've also considered the giant Rascal but I'm not sure I could even get it to the field. At this point the Sig is probably at the top of my list. The LHS has one in yellow sitting on his shelf that I swear has my name on it.

I've seen many, many comments here about both the XT60 and the Sig 4* 60 and how good they are as second planes. I'm assuming that the 120 size would be the same, just a bit bigger.

Comments?

Bob
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking at Second Planes

If the Pulse 60 flies anything like the Pulse 40, I’d go with that one. One of my students picked up a Pulse 40 PNP and soloed that the next flight after he went off the buddy box on his NextStar. It’s a good flier plane that can be tamed down initially, and then increase the throws as your experience grows.

But don’t give up on your Alpha 60 yet. Keep flying that through most if not all of the summer. 25 solo flights is just a drop in the bucket and you’re just starting to learn. Put a couple hundred flights on the Alpha and see what you’ve learned after that. Work on precision in your maneuvers – you’ll find the better you can fly them with the Alpha, the easier they’ll be on a more aerobatic plane. I flew the club trainer the other day when one of my students didn’t show, and did stuff with it some people would swear a trainer can do.

I’ve flown the Giant Super Sportster which flies very well and gets about 400’ vertical with a Saito 1.80. The Pulse 60 is smaller, and a lot cheaper. Another plane to consider is the Model Tech Dragon Lady – I’ve flown one with an OS .91 FX and it was very well mannered.

What ever you do don’t gut your Alpha. Keep it for a back-up and to occasionally take out just for fun.

Hogflyer
Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Axel40

Of the planes you've mentioned I've flown the Pulse 60 and love it!

You really cannot ask for more, it doesn't exhibit the tail dragger tendencies on take off, flys any way you want it to fly and is capable of loads of hooliganism and it can land at a VERY low speed.
It's pretty much everything I want in a plane with the recommended Saito 1.00.

It's my 6th or 7th plane and I am having more fun with the Pulse 60 than any of my models.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:58 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Everyone I talk to and on here before have said the pulse is really a third plane, including the guy at my field that has one. Its a fast plane, and likes to bounce alot if you don't hit the tail dragger gear right.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Naw, the pulse is a great second plane.

Any one of your choices will be excellent

PS, consider the Tiger 120 also:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXMRB8
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

If the Pulse 60 flies anything like the Pulse 40, I’d go with that one. One of my students picked up a Pulse 40 PNP and soloed that the next flight after he went off the buddy box on his NextStar. It’s a good flier plane that can be tamed down initially, and then increase the throws as your experience grows.

But don’t give up on your Alpha 60 yet. Keep flying that through most if not all of the summer. 25 solo flights is just a drop in the bucket and you’re just starting to learn. Put a couple hundred flights on the Alpha and see what you’ve learned after that. Work on precision in your maneuvers – you’ll find the better you can fly them with the Alpha, the easier they’ll be on a more aerobatic plane. I flew the club trainer the other day when one of my students didn’t show, and did stuff with it some people would swear a trainer can do.

I’ve flown the Giant Super Sportster which flies very well and gets about 400’ vertical with a Saito 1.80. The Pulse 60 is smaller, and a lot cheaper. Another plane to consider is the Model Tech Dragon Lady – I’ve flown one with an OS .91 FX and it was very well mannered.

What ever you do don’t gut your Alpha. Keep it for a back-up and to occasionally take out just for fun.

Hogflyer
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I haven't made up my mind as of yet, and am not looking to get something new until late summer at the earliest. The Alpha is still showing me that I have a lot to learn and that I'm skill limited at this point, not plane limited. I have no plans to gut the Alpha for whatever I get next. I'm not sure my wife understands that fine point yet, but I'm gonna keep it flyable.

I'm not familiar with the Tiger 120, and haven't seen many comments on it here on the board. I want to go conventional gear with this next one, though.

Bob
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never flown the Tiger 120, but I have flown both the 40 and 60 versions of it and it is my #1 recommendation for a second plane. In fact, the first time I flew one, i immediately went out and bought one for my son who was still flying his trainer at the time.

Not sure what you mean by "Conventional Gear" but if you mean a taildragger, the Tiger 120 is setup for both nose wheel or tail wheel configurations
Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

I had the Pulse 40 and LOVED IT. It was a great plane. Make sure to match it with a good engine for power. I had the Pulse 40 with the OS 46AX - great combo. Fly the hell out of your trainer before moving on to make sure you are ready. Will be cheaper in the long run - unless you're lucky, but why rely on luck.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Not sure what you mean by "Conventional Gear" but if you mean a taildragger, the Tiger 120 is setup for both nose wheel or tail wheel configurations
Perhaps I'm showing my age a bit.

When I got my pilots license taildraggers were typically referred to as "conventional gear" as opposed to "tricycle gear". The term has stuck with me.

Bob
Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

You might want to modify your trainer to conventional gear (tail dragger).

All you have to do is move your main gear up about 2 inches and buy one of [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV47&P=ML]THESE[/link]
This will help with your landings / takeoffs and get you ready for your 2nd plane!