Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

As promised, my almost crash story:

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

As promised, my almost crash story:

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As promised, my almost crash story:

Greetings,

Well it finally happened, almost. Thanks to the very recent changes I made to control throws on the advice gained here I got lucky. And it was luck, more than skill, that saved my plane. The only thing i can call all me is the fact that I didn't panic, and had the presence of mind to do SOMETHING...

I was out flying my trainer, and having worked on slow flight so long I was bored with it, decided to really let go and just have fun without worrying about "practice this, or practice that" flying.

I was really moving, 3/4 throttle or better most of the flight. I was doing loops, rolls, inverted, and what I think was a poor excuse for an Imellman, ~sp?~ (Aileron roll with Elevator applied to cause a rolling loopish corkscrew type maneuver, please correct me if this is not the maneuver I named)

I eased back the throttle coming out of a loop inverted and decided to do some more inverted flight. I was what I will call about one mistake high, probably less.

about half way around a full circuit of the field, and right in front and right of me, I chose to pull an inverted loop, the idea being to climb out of my inverted flight and end up right side up again. Soo; up goes the throttle to full preparing to climb and pull back on the stick....[:@]

OH GOD!! FULL POWER DIVE AND TOO LOW TO SAVE!!![X(][X(] I reversed the stick to full forward, (down elevator) and watched with my heart in my throat as my plane roared downward, looping back up just in time. I swear she got so low the tail fin must have brushed the 3 foot tall grass in the field beyond our runway. The other guy at the field hollered out as my bird hit the bottom of the loop. He too figured I was done for.

So now I was shaking so bad it hurt as I throttled back to allow her to climb while I tried to start breathing again. I made the decision then to quit for the day, and as soon as my nerves would let my I landed her. Many thanks to God for the luck, and this forum for the advice on the control throws. Had I still been at minimum throw I would most assuredly have taken my plane home in a bag. I now see the wisdom behind RCKen's saying that he would rather have more control than needed for that event where you do need it all....
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: As promised, my almost crash story:

I was doing loops, rolls, inverted, and what I think was a poor excuse for an Imellman, ~sp?~ (Aileron roll with Elevator applied to cause a rolling loopish corkscrew type maneuver, please correct me if this is not the maneuver I named)
Glad you saved it. You're mistake was overconfidence, and not thinking ahead of the plane.

The maneuver you describe is known as a Barrel Roll. The roll occurrs as if it were on the outside of the Barrell. Its better performed with rudder and ailerons.

An Immelman is named for the World War I German Ace that used it in combat. It consists of a 1/2 inside loop followed by a 1/2 roll from inverted (at top of the loop) to upright flight. Its companion maneuver is the split S, where the plane rolls inverted and then does a 1/2 inside loop to come out upright.

Take enough time between all your maneuvers at this point to ensure you know what you expect the plane to do.

Brad
Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 AM
flyX

At least you pushed instead of pulled

I think you where doing a stalled snap roll. That's what I use to do, trying to induce
my model into a flat spin. It was more like a barrel roll with the model pionting towards the earth.lol

With more capiable model, it'll go flat if you slide the airleron stick slowly to the opposite side.
Have plenty of altitute becuase models veries on recovery.lol

You mean you havn't tapped the gears on a loop before ?
If i could you consistantly....I'd call it the touch and go loop.lol
I was afraid it was going to do more touch than go..thou

Doing a complete outside loop 5' off of the deck is fun.lol
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

"I just wanna have fun today and not fly serious" is one of those phrases heard before something bad happens. Kinda like, "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM
spiral_72

Good job. You'll never learn without trying it. My 2nd favorite maneuver is loop to inverted, then loop inverted (down elevator) back to upright. It takes a lot of elevator though.

Think ahead and plan your moves..... and fly HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiigh. My flying buddies give me a hard time cause I fly new about 10 mistakes high when I try to learn something new. Oh, well.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is SO true

Just glad mine had a happy ending! (I'm quite sure Ive used up another of my planes 9 lives, or whatever an airplane gets..)