Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help me choose please....!!!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help me choose please....!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Supa Koopa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose please....!!!

Hi guys,

I realise this sort of question gets asked all the time. A search has helped but but not completely.

I am looking at buying my first plane. I fly helis at the moment and fancy a bit of a change. I would like to build the plane from a kit rather than a ARF, which narrows down my choices espcially since I'm from the UK and so we don't get as big a choice as you guys from over the pond do. I know that everyone is going to say to buy a trainer and I know that is a good idea but they look so damn boring, Is there anything else I can build that looks nice but is suitable to learn on. I've been practicing on the sim and the high wings are so slow to turn I have more trouble with those than the low wings.

The ones I have been looking at are the Sig Somethin' Extra which looks nice but is probably too much for me now. The one I would to build is a Pitts Special, so basically a nice Bi Plane, or the Hog Bipe. Same again I've been warned away from those. The one at the minute which I am thinking about is the Sig Piper Cub J3 Anniversary Edition. Nice high wing, so should be more docile, big wings so lower wing loading, but still looks like a nice plane. Although after reading some posts I am not too sure if this is going to be too much to learn on as well.

So any input on any of these or any suggestions would be greatfully received.

I would like,

A kit, preferably Laser cut.
Looks like a plane rather than a rectangle with wings.
Good flight characteristics that I can learn on, and maybe later increase the throws for mild aerobatics.
Available in the UK - which seems to limit me to Sig as I can't find anyone else (looked at LT40, Kadet, senior etc)
Something that I can stick a nice saito 4 stroke in - after hearing those on you tube I was sold, I have enough 2 strokes in my helis.
Budget upto around £120, that's what $240?

Thanks I wait with baited breath.

Craig.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Jester241

Default RE: Help me choose please....!!!

Hold on a second here.I've built a handful of planes now,both kits and ARF's. Some trainers,some "second" planes,and some more advanced planes. I'm gonna tell you right now......if you've never built a plane before,ESPECIALLY a KIT.....you should be more concerned about what kind of instructions they come with,rather then how they fly. Most of your planes wether they be a KIT or an ARF will give you a building manual equal to the experience it takes to fly the plane. By that I mean,a trainer kit will be you VERY detailed instructions as if you've never flown OR built a plane. Other more advanced planes(that you speak of) will give you instructions "assuming" you already know how to build without going into to detail. Know what I'm saying?

I'm almost finished with my Sig Hog Bipe kit (you mentioned it). I can tell you right now,I would have been completely lost trying to built it had I not built some other kits(trainers). And this hog kit is considered to be a fairly easy build with fairly good instructions.

So what I'm saying is.....whatever you build BETTER have a Beginner set of instructions if you've never built before. My first kit was a Great Planes PT-40 and I couldnt have asked for a better instruction manual. It was the best teaching manaul I've ever seen thus far. It was also my most "beginnerish" type plane.

You may want to consider building a trainer plane first just for the added instruction while building. Or consider building an ARF first because they tend to have the hard stuff already done for you. This build you speak of just may be more about the instructions then the plane. And make sure you have trainer person fly with you rather then try to fly this plane yourself.

Thats my input ....you asked [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Plenty of folks will disagree with what I'm about to recommend, but that's all part of the fun.

Since you've been flying helicopters, you're already experienced with RC flying and should be able to start out on a "second" plane if you'd like to.

Sig kits are available to you; they also are very high quality and come with great instructions.

Based on these facts, I'd recommend that you build a Sig Four Star or Mid Star kit as your first plane. They are easy to build, they fly great, and they won't be so wild in the air that they should give you too much trouble.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Redback

Since you are from the UK have you looked at the Chris Foss range of kits? Just Google Chris Foss to get their site.

Never flown one myself (they don't seem to find their way down here) but they seem to have a very good reputation. A WOT 4 or maybe an Acro Wot might be just what you are looking for.

No doubt one of your fellow Poms might be able to expand further!

Terry (expat Pom)
Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 PM
plugin

Sig LT-40 seems to be the trainer of choice for those who want to go kit.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Supa Koopa

Thanks for the help guys and the suggestions. Thanks go to Jester241 as well, don't worry I don't take things to heart I just listen to people wiser and more experienced. So because of this the Hog Bipe is out of the question. I hadn't really looked at the Four Star 40 and to be honest this now seems to be in the lead thanks to some good reviews and forum member feedback. It seems that even though it is a low wing, it is very trainer like and hopefully may be a good place to start as it builds easily. All laser cut parts and simple instructions.

Thanks once again and please keep the suggestion coming.