Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What is a good plane for a begginer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What is a good plane for a begginer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
buky221

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good plane for a begginer?

I have been practicing on a simulator. now im ready to fly.

whats a good noob plane
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: What is a good plane for a begginer?

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers and second planes. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly, or advance to a second plane. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 2-20-2008) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

can't beat a Sig LT 40 IMHO. BUT it will be a bag o'tooth picks in 2 seconds flat if you try to fly it with out an instructer. simulators are grat but real life planes need proper set up and trim to even come close to the always perfect sim planes.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Definately a trainer. Simulators are fine for practice and honing skills but a "real" model plane in the wild is much different than a similar one in the simulated environment.

Like the difference between returning fire effectively while being shot at in a simulated shoot-em-up vs. the real thing. Your mind knows the difference and when to kick in the adrenaline.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:51 AM
flyX

While the duraplane is not the best flyer or the purdies thing in the world.
It is a great training tool. It'll survive your mistakes and leanring curve.
I crashed that thing so many times...even my kid burried it and it was still fly able.
I spent more time flying rather than building or repairing, with this contraption.lol
This was the model that go me over the hump. I did touch and go all day long without
worrying about crashing. Hit a couple of trees, hit the fence 2-3 times, deadstick that would
had destoryed other models.

It's not a floater, but it'll cut through the wind better than most regular trainers.
I didn't have a hard time coming hot on my mustange or super sporsters later.lol
I had no clue of how to build a spad to that time.
You can put a duraplan together in less than a day.

I finally caved in and got the duraplane after I crashed my eaglet, eagle II and avistar (wood trainers)

There's was a guy at my club that put the duraplane into a flat spin on purpose and didn't pull out.
Becuase he got sick of it and had to make more room ..like I did.lol
The darn thing still didn't break.lol
Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM
TakingFlight96

I'm currently training on a Hobbico Nexstar .46 ARF. I feel that the Nexstar is just a joy to train on, and a pretty easy flyer - I've had 10 or so flights on mine and its still going strong, a couple hard landings ; but, its a sturdy plane. Like anyother plane it has its ups and downs to it. Now, as far as a sim goes - whether it be FS One or Realflight or any of those others are made to do the same thing - give you corrdination. Keep in mind that the sim and the real world are a bit different ; on the sim if something happens and you crash, theres a reset button and you walk away with the same amount of money in you wallet - In the real world there is no reset button and if you do crash, you walk away with a lot of spare balsa and a chunk of money gone out of your wallet. When it comes down to it any trainer will help you learn and progress - any plane on RC Kens list will do the same thing as anyothers would.

TakingFlight96
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM
mclina

You really can't go wrong with any of the trainers on Ken's list. In case you are still overwhelmed by the choices, I would recommend getting the least expensive RTF package that you can find, whether it be the Tower Trainer, or whatever. It is the fastest and least expensive way to get flying. Kit building is a great experience, but I see too many guys who kit-build their trainers and then are afraid to fly them, not to mention that you will be building it all summer, and not get to fly it this year. Get a RTF trainer, and then, if you want to build, build a second plane over the winter.

As for the Duraplane, I would steer clear of that unless you plan on teaching yourself, which is NOT RECOMMENDED. With proper instruction, you shouldn't be banging up your trainer too much, and small repairs are cheap and easy to make. The Duraplane and other plastic planes (which I have a bunch of) are extremely tough, but they are heavier and have to be flown a little faster.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

My first trainer Was the Avistar. It's an excellent choice, it has all the characteristics of a trainer plus some of a sport flyer. All around good flier that you can grow into.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

If I were to do it over again I'd get the Avistar.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, Im liking my H9 Arrow. But its listed on Kens list as both a trainer AND a second plane, so it might be a bit advanced. You're on a good simulator, so IF you get an instructor you would be fine. But then, that goes for any trainer airplane you get LOL.