Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I flew at the field, but not R/C

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I flew at the field, but not R/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I flew at the field, but not R/C

ORIGINAL: jollycub

We were in our conference room hiding out-watching the weather on television and when the news team would show outdoor shots, I thought at first they were showing stock footage of hurricanes.
Yeah, I heard today that the winds were well over 100 mph, equivalent to an EF-2 tornado. Our field was at essentially ground zero for that storm and got the worst of the winds. There just wasn't rotation, so it wasn't technically a tornado. Sure as heck felt like it.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 PM
bruce88123

What kind of car is it that it has such poor door latches?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

What kind of car is it that it has such poor door latches?
'97 Chevy Malibu. When I took it to the body shop they thought I opened the door. I said I didn't open the door, it was ripped open. I got the eye roll (them thinking, "yeah right, buddy" ) until they saw the metal latch. They were pretty shocked because it essentially cracked in half. [X(]
Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM
gunfighterII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nathan,
I just received some pictures of your storm. We were lucky it just missed us. These are incredible.[X(][X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86353.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	982202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24571.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	982203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23520.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	982204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22539.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	982205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61983.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	982206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri69315.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	982207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy51170.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	982208  
Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
bruce88123

Those ARE greast pics!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, those are some really incredible pictures!!!

Ken
Old 07-01-2008, 03:55 PM
gunfighterII

Here's the last two, I don't know who to give credit too, I got these in an e-mail.

Name:	Zx70486.jpg
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	982235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33319.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	982236  
Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

That picture with the country road looks like a sci fi alein space ship movie storm, incredible. Omaha looks nice, I've been to Lincoln but wasn't much there except a bad football team. BOOMER!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

Our club meeting was scheduled for 7:00 at the field, but people usually come by 6:00 so that they can have more time for flying. As a club officer I had hotdog duty, so I got there early. I pulled up to the gravel parking lot and got out. That's when I noticed the clouds coming, hauling ***** from the west. I got in the car and started it up to get the heck out of there, but it was too little too late. The wind and rain came, and I had no visibility to drive.... Zero, and I mean ZERO. I turned off the car and had to wait it out. By then the hail began and it only got worse. The winds became so strong that the car began to lift slightly and slide around on the gravel lot. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse my car door got pulled/sucked off the latch and a hinge and began flopping in the wind, exposing me to the rain, hail, and tree debris. I leaned out the car, grabbed the door and used all my strength to keep it pressed against the side as good as possible. As I pulled the door back, it was jerked by the wind and slammed me in the side of the head. I couldn't close the door because it was bent badly, so hail, rain, and debris was still entering the car. Did I mention that the car was still sliding around.... IN PARK WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ON!!!??

Anyway, after it ended I got out of the car and found that I had slid half way across the gravel lot. One of our heavy steel bleachers was lifted up, blown over our fence, and slammed against the radio impound. My car had pieces of tree limbs, leaves, and there was standing water in the car. Good thing I have insurance. I got through it with only a nasty bump on the head and a few small cuts on my arms from debris. I'm still pretty shaken though.

I guarantee you that I have not embellished any part of this story. Really scary...The pounding on the car was unbelievable! Felt like a tornado or hurricane.

P.S. My plane got through it with only one small puncture in the covering from a stray piece of hail.

I'm going to go sleep now. My head is pounding, I have a nasty ringing in my ears, and I feel like I'm going to throw up.
Now that it's been a few days, I'll suggest that SOME day, you'll be in a local watering hole with friends who know this story, and "The New Guy" will walk in and say "It's raining and windy like you would't believe, out there!"

At which point you will say "Well, son, lemme tell you about wind and rain..."

Enjoy that moment!
Dave Olson

ps great pictures, guys!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:19 PM
gunfighterII

ORIGINAL: brett65

That picture with the country road looks like a sci fi alein space ship movie storm, incredible. Omaha looks nice, I've been to Lincoln but wasn't much there except a bad football team. BOOMER!

That storm on the lower left has been hanging over the football stadium for 4 years, think of it as the John Blake era.

I hope we can at least tackle your players when we play this fall.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: Scar

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

Our club meeting was scheduled for 7:00 at the field, but people usually come by 6:00 so that they can have more time for flying. As a club officer I had hotdog duty, so I got there early. I pulled up to the gravel parking lot and got out. That's when I noticed the clouds coming, hauling ***** from the west. I got in the car and started it up to get the heck out of there, but it was too little too late. The wind and rain came, and I had no visibility to drive.... Zero, and I mean ZERO. I turned off the car and had to wait it out. By then the hail began and it only got worse. The winds became so strong that the car began to lift slightly and slide around on the gravel lot. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse my car door got pulled/sucked off the latch and a hinge and began flopping in the wind, exposing me to the rain, hail, and tree debris. I leaned out the car, grabbed the door and used all my strength to keep it pressed against the side as good as possible. As I pulled the door back, it was jerked by the wind and slammed me in the side of the head. I couldn't close the door because it was bent badly, so hail, rain, and debris was still entering the car. Did I mention that the car was still sliding around.... IN PARK WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ON!!!??

Anyway, after it ended I got out of the car and found that I had slid half way across the gravel lot. One of our heavy steel bleachers was lifted up, blown over our fence, and slammed against the radio impound. My car had pieces of tree limbs, leaves, and there was standing water in the car. Good thing I have insurance. I got through it with only a nasty bump on the head and a few small cuts on my arms from debris. I'm still pretty shaken though.

I guarantee you that I have not embellished any part of this story. Really scary...The pounding on the car was unbelievable! Felt like a tornado or hurricane.

P.S. My plane got through it with only one small puncture in the covering from a stray piece of hail.

I'm going to go sleep now. My head is pounding, I have a nasty ringing in my ears, and I feel like I'm going to throw up.
Now that it's been a few days, I'll suggest that SOME day, you'll be in a local watering hole with friends who know this story, and "The New Guy" will walk in and say "It's raining and windy like you would't believe, out there!"

At which point you will say "Well, son, lemme tell you about wind and rain..."

Enjoy that moment!
Dave Olson

ps great pictures, guys!
Yeah, it's been funny because the local radio station has been taking calls about people's stories from the storm. I chuckle every time a soccer mom gets on and says they were worried because the hail was loud - like that was a huge deal even though they were way south of where the worst of the storm was. I keep thinking, "yeah, try being at ground zero in a car, honey!" I should have called in and put them all to shame.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Dude, as they say here, that was a hairy experience. If the Malibu had gotten much more airborn....... Well thankfully it didn't. We get a serious blow like that about once a year, so far right after christmas to the 2nd week of January. It's a known entity though. The "bay" and Estuary are just leading into pastures. Anything built up will either flood out or be blown down.

Great pic's Mac

Tim
Old 07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I must be missing something. It's calm after a storm. You didn't fly before you left?

Glad you are OK, David

I flew after the storm was over!

Of course.... I knew nothing about Nate's ordeal, until tonight when another friend sent me a link to this thread. WOW! That was pretty scary Nate!

Steve and I stopped by the field after the storm had came through to survey for any damage. We moved the bleachers off of the Impound, with the help of another new club member (didn't get his name). That thing was pretty heavy! [X(]

Attached are photos I took with my cell phone, before we moved it.

The storage shed was also moved southeast by 4 or 5 inches. Limbs were all over the place, but the runway was somewhat clear (mainly leaves and small debris). I got two flights in, and Steve even flew my plane for a little while.

Later,
Mike

Name:	Tr49069.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	982497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97349.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	982498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90512.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	982499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66569.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	982500  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: gunfighterII

ORIGINAL: brett65

That storm on the lower left has been hanging over the football stadium for 4 years, think of it as the John Blake era.

I hope we can at least tackle your players when we play this fall.
Yall were pretty good when John Blake was here, too bad he ended up on your staff
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I must be missing something. It's calm after a storm. You didn't fly before you left?

Glad you are OK, David

I flew after the storm was over!

Of course.... I knew nothing about Nate's ordeal, until tonight when another friend sent me a link to this thread. WOW! That was pretty scary Nate!

Steve and I stopped by the field after the storm had came through to survey for any damage. We moved the bleachers off of the Impound, with the help of another new club member (didn't get his name). That thing was pretty heavy! [X(]

Attached are photos I took with my cell phone, before we moved it.

The storage shed was also moved southeast by 4 or 5 inches. Limbs were all over the place, but the runway was somewhat clear (mainly leaves and small debris). I got two flights in, and Steve even flew my plane for a little while.

Later,
Mike
You can tell Steve was there. You can see his little rat in the pictures.

Just kidding, that was uncalled for. I suppose that's my way of getting back at the dog after he literally humped my leg during our board meeting. [X(]