Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

It's true what they say about your second plane...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

It's true what they say about your second plane...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's true what they say about your second plane...

Don't get attached to your second plane.

Your second plane will take a beating as you start to gain confidence and try more things.

These statements are both very true. I got my second plane, the Phoenix Dolphin. I tried to assemble it perfectly, cleanly, and even made a landing gear mod. On my second day out with the plane, I landed in the weeds and it literally snapped in half. Spent two days fixing it, almost good as new, and back in the air. A few more days and my landing gear mod took a turn for the worse; I drilled a few too many holes in the fiberglass gear and it snapped in half. I installed a pine block under the fuse and temporarily installed the stock gear, and guess what...it doesn't look so bad after all! And it works great, too! Oh yeah, and the canopy I smoked? Today it blew off, mid flight, WOT. Well, not totally off, it was dangling by the Voltwatch wire, so it was ACTING AS A PARACHUTE dangling around on different sides, on top, on the bottom. It was a real handful to get back on the ground, let me tell you. My instructor was there, and as soon as I heard him say something from behind me ("keep the power on until it's totally over the runway"), I knew my plane would make it home in one piece (well, maybe two). Tony ROCKS by the way. Thanks Tony! Actually I realized all this today; it was the second day he's seen me with this plane, and he (and everyone else) commented "you really like that plane, don't ya?" I was like 'how can you tell?' and he was like "'cause you're really BEATIN' on it'". He's right; I am

So she's fixed up once again. A few bumps, a few bruises. I still love my Dolphin, but now it's about how she flies, and a little about how she looks. Point is, second plane is a tool. I'm learning how to trim, I mean REALLY trim a plane, I'm learning how to do major repairs (glue the front half back to the back half) and field repairs (using pieces of garage door components out of the back of an installer's truck to patch my cracked gear together, reinstall on my plane, and fly some more) I'm planning on (or at least thinking about) modifying the push rod system, and this winter I imagine she might even get re-covered, unless I get into a kit.

If you're like me and want a great looking second plane, my advice is don't worry too much about it. Find out how the planes fly, read reviews, and get something that flies like you think you want it to fly. I still think my Dolphin looks great, but in the air is where it really counts; it's a BLAST to fly!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:06 AM
kid chuckles

Default RE: It's true what they say about your second plane...

Sounds as though your enjoying flying and that is what any plane first, sec, twenty third is all about. Have a good time.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. It usually takes a year or two (usually two) for most guys to get to a point where they can keep an airplane looking like it just came out of a box. Some guys never can manage that feat.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Jetdesign

Thank goodness for <$150 ARF's!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:14 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

Yep. It usually takes a year or two (usually two) for most guys to get to a point where they can keep an airplane looking like it just came out of a box. Some guys never can manage that feat.
Were you thinking of anyone in particular when you made that statement, Nathan?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Were you thinking of anyone in particular when you made that statement, Nathan?
It's possible, I suppose. [sm=angel_smile.gif]
Old 06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And that two years is just about dead on too.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
RTice
My Feedback: (9)

hey gaRCfield: could you post a link to the dolphin? I've never heard of it.

Thanks for the reality check.
rob
Old 06-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: RTice

hey gaRCfield: could you post a link to the dolphin? I've never heard of it.

Thanks for the reality check.
rob
[link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/pmm/pmma0250.html]Phoenix Dolphin[/link]
Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Jetdesign

Here's mine, before the smoked canopy and before the gear broke:

For what it's worth, I just ordered another Phoenix plane. I suppose I have to assemble and fly another one before I can officially recommend them, but so far, so good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99564.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	981113  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Drizzle3

Well, my second plane was a ARF Super Sportster with a .46 in it. That plane is still to this day one of my favorite planes. I dont have any huge horror stories of it besides the fact that i had to re-glue my wings together because of the high speed dives/manuvers. My 3rd plane i crashed majesticly in front of a crowd of 300+ people. It was 4th of July weekend and i was "showing off" with my cessna float plane on the river, kind of a party beach area. I learned very quickly that float planes dont recover from dives, at least mine didnt. I tried to pull out at too low of a altitude and didnt have the time to break the spin.

But!!!! This 4th July weekend i will be making my first float flight in front of a huge crowd in 3 years xD!!! Wish me luck!

It sucks at first wrecking a plane....but it happens, and no one is safe from it.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:07 AM
TZflyer

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

... unless I get into a kit.

Hey gaRCfield, get into a kit. I am on my second and don't know if I will buy another ARF. Kits aren't better, they are just so much fun to build and you can make sure your gear and canopy stay on!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: TZflyer

... unless I get into a kit.

Hey gaRCfield, get into a kit. I am on my second and don't know if I will buy another ARF. Kits aren't better, they are just so much fun to build and you can make sure your gear and canopy stay on!
Strongly considering it (although both of those were my fault[&o]; winter is LONG here in Vermont[&:] I've got a 46AX and a 55AX, so I guess I'll be looking for a nice .60 size kit for the new 75AX I'll be buying over the winter?! Unless I hit it big and get myself something out of the new FS-a line I think I'm gonna go get a Powerball ticket.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 AM
basman

Dolphin a great plane. it was my second, powered by a la 46 when I brought it second hand ready to fly just add crystals. Put a 55 ax in it. Lost the right airelon in flight took out the right rear stabiliser and elevator. Mangaged a panic landing ( bouncned 6'' ) first touch but servived. Then recovered the whole plane, looked awesome. Sorry to say lost it down wind trying knife edge. Since have been told not to try new stuff down wind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59627.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	981265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31903.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	981266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78885.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	981267  
Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 AM
basman

this would fly awesome with a ax 46
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 AM
drewhosick

Don't get attached to your second plane.

Your second plane will take a beating as you start to gain confidence and try more things.
Tee hee, that's why I learned to do as much as I could on my first plane. Luckily it was semi-symmetrical. Everything from outside loops, rolls, hammerheads, even tried a little bit of hovering(although it only keeps it so long before the plane tips to one side or another, probably because of a lack of control surface to help keep it upright.

Now I'm hoping my second plane will stay in better shape after I finish building it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM
spiral_72

Well, aaaaaah, my FIRST plane was the one that took the abuse. I swear I fixed it 50 times. I broke everything possible. Maybe 30 props, crunched wing, crunched nose, crunched tail, broke fuse in half, firewall, nose gear, a motor mount I think, canopy, several pushrods, 150 holes in the covering, a couple engine flushings, servo tray, hole in tank and finally unrecognizable splinters with a tail and 0.5x6 APC prop mounted on an aluminum/dirt object.

My second plane is still pretty clean though.

My third is not. <cough!, errrr, yea.>
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Jetdesign

*laughing.

I got stupid with my first plane; was flying multiple patterns/sequences inverted at 30 feet altitude and lots of throttle. I'm sure I don't need to finish the story.

However, once I got into the low-wing sport plane, I felt like I just had handcuffs taken off me or something; flying the Dolphin feels so free compared to the trainers, so naturally I want to play with it's capabilities, and therefore it's taking a slight beating. Which is the plan, too, 'cause I'd like to keep my new Decathlon looking pretty
Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM
carrellh

I think I resemble that remark.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Jetdesign

I just got home from a great day at the field, and I wanted to say this again.

I LOVE MY DOLPHIN!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:30 AM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

*knock on wood* my minnow has yet to receive any damage. I bought it as a plane already put together that I wouldnt care if I crashed. But I have grown attached to it. I may have to take a step back and find a nice .40 size low wing trainer to slap the neststar stuff in.