Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question about Futaba charging jack

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question about Futaba charging jack

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Futaba charging jack

I have an old wall charger that I want to use the tx jack from for my peak charger. I need to know if the center pin is negative or positive when charging a 2.4 6ex futaba tx. The manual does not say, however my 4ch JR tx manual says that it has a negative center pin. Is the futaba and JR interchangeable, if so I can peak them both without having to worry about flipping the wires. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Question about Futaba charging jack

Generally Futaba (and Airtronics and others) transmitters have positive as the center pin. JR is different than the pthers - center pin is negative.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

They are NOT interchangeable! Futaba charging plugs have a Positive center, JR/Spektrum has a Negative center .
Also, the hole in the Futaba plug is larger than the hole in the JR/Spektrum socket, because the pin inside the TX is larger in diameter. A Futaba plug will fit into a JR/Spektrum socket, but it ia a very sloppy fit, and may not make a good enough connection to actually charge the battery, IF you had the proper polarity.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As already pointed out you cannot use that JR wallcharger as JR/spectrum are the only ones using centerpin negative on their tx charge jacks.

You can use that JR charger however if you cut and splice the wire reversing the polarity to center pin positive .

Some brands use slightly different diameters for the pins but usually they can be used or you could just splice in a futaba tx charge plug to the JR wall charger and making sure you wired center pin positive for the Futaba Tx.

John
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
brett65

Just tried them out, and sure 'nough the jack won't go in. Do hobby shops care extra ends, or can these charging jack ends be picked up at a radio shack or something?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All that was said, but additonally, if the TX has a diode in the charge circuit, you peak charger will not work as it can't take the quick readings to see the condition of the battery. IF you can use a battery cycler, IE something like an AccuCycle to discharge your TX, then you are good to go. There is a list and hacks you can do to bypass the diode if you need to. Just make doublly sure you have the polarity straight, or you will damage the TX and your Battery. The diode is to prevent trying to reverse charg a battery.

Don
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Brett,
You can pick up the plugs at Radio Shack.

Ken
Old 06-30-2008, 09:21 PM
brett65

My instructor peaked it Sunday with his field charger, I don't think I should have any problems. Thanks Ken, I thought radio shack might have them. I got one within walking distance too!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Brett,
I picked some up not too long ago, but for the life of me I can't remember what size they are. Just take your radio with you and they can get the proper size plug from that.

Ken