Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

floats on a trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

floats on a trainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:29 AM
F-18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default floats on a trainer

I am going to get another alpha 60 and was wondering if it is possible and a good idea to put floats on it. I have a friend who likes boats so it would be nice if we could go the lake and i can fly and he can drive his boat. I know it is a good idea to fly with wheels first but i would eventually like to put floats on it.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: floats on a trainer

They July AMA magazine has a lot of information about float flying. Trainers tend to make excellent float flyers, but make sure you don't skimp on the power plant. The floats add weight, drag, and getting the plane off the water requires more power. The plane is going to be even more difficult to bank for turns, so give yourself plenty of control throw at max. There is a float flying discussion group as well.

Float flying requires MUCH more refined technique for take off and landing . You cant force the plane into the air, and you can't just drop it down on the water. You also have to make sure you have the floats mounted correctly in relation to the CG of the plane.

Good luck,
Brad
Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
dditch

I had plastic floats on a trainer then later a fun fly. Flying off of water is fun.
Not for the beginner though. The play will REALLY fly different. It will have a different feel in the turns.
The floats act like a pendulum as well as sails. On mine, It flew better when I used a little rudder in the turns w/ the ailerons.
Definitly need power. Short takeoffs will keep down the misaps.
Wind and chop will make taxi and takoff unenjoyable for the novice.

Step location on the floats is important.
CG is important.
Water rudder is REALLY important. I can't tell you how many had to abort our bi-annual float fly because their water rudders were not effective enough to turn in the wind.

Flopping over in the water and soaking your electronics is NOT fun.
This IMHO is NOT a project for the first year novice.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM
F-18

Ok i wasn't going to use the floats for a while. i just would like to put them on my trainer after i move on. Also what does IMHO mean, i have seen it on post before but i don't know what it means.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

In My Opinion-IMO
In My Honest Opinion-IMHO
Wide Open Throttle-WTO
Transmitter-Tx
Receiver-Rx
Local Hobby Shop-LHS
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: F-18
I know it is a good idea to fly with wheels first but i would eventually like to put floats on it.

Of course the airplane is a fine choice and your plan is a good one. Most trainers make excellent floaters however I normally suggest not using something with rounded fuselage such as the Nexstar as this makes a good installation more difficult.

The key parameters for success in float installations is pay close attention to the step /CG relationship and the wing /float deck incidence relationship. These two points can make or break a good installation. Float flying does not need oversized engines as some will say but rather good float installations.

Float flying is not at all difficult it is only a little different and normally not a problem at all for someone just off the trainer on wheels and willing to work with a float mentor.

Here are a couple of my ships and the trainer of a young man just off the trainer getting his feet wet for the first time.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90238.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	982840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65343.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	982841  
Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Alpha .60 will make a great float plane, and the Evolution .61NT should provide plenty of power for float flying. The .46NT would fly the Alpha .60 fine from land, but the .61NT would be better for float flying.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM
PA BEN

Trainers make great float planes.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 AM
bkdavy

Remember there is also more to preparing for float flying than just installing the floats. Water will enter any open hole, and soak any exposed Balsa. Prepare your reciever to be submerged a few inches. Waterproofing the insides of the plane is recommended. This is more extensive than the normal fuel proofing we do for flying from terra firma.

Brad