Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie Airplane Order/Build/BreakIn/Maiden/SoloVideo/Deadsticks!!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie Airplane Order/Build/BreakIn/Maiden/SoloVideo/Deadsticks!!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PLEASE check my list -Need help in what to buy for beginner -THANKS!!

confusing; every picture shows rubber bands.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: PLEASE check my list -Need help in what to buy for beginner -THANKS!!

I just added a $20 item - a locator, in case of a crash out in the distance. You turn off your transmitter and a loud high pitched beep goes off in a locator you mount in the plane hooked up to the receiver. Neat.
http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/acc...del_alarm.html
Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
cappaj1

Adding to the list the Dave Brown Holster glo fuel pump and holder - same one used at my club. Really neat pump and easy to use since it mounts to the bottle of glo fuel.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB888&P=7
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Six shooter fuel pump isn't very user friendly to me, slow pump, lots of cranking, I prefer electric.
Harbor freight has $15 cases that work better than the $43 case, I've broken two of the $43 cases and will not get another.
$50 buddy box is crazy, $15-20 anywhere for an old transmitter will work fine, saving you money for more fuel and props. $5 tower neck strap is the way to go, other sources of transmitter batteries are available with better quality for the same price, nice glow igniter, but i'd go 300mah nimh, the multiplex is a single battery charger, you'd do as good with the cheaper Hobbico that charges two at a time, since you're only dealing with tx/rx batteries, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCTZ5&P=ML, I did the rolling tool box 5 years ago, even built a cradle on top with PVC, it's too much to take to the field, it's top heavy, and after awhile you go back to standard flight boxes that just hold props, plugs, fuel, panel, and basic tools. Buy a quart of Marvel Mystery oil instead of a 2 oz. bottle of so called after run oil that might just be the same red stuff! Avoid MA props, stick with APC, they are better for the 20 cent difference in price. No comment on aerocoat, I've only used Monokote and Ultracoat with great success. I prefer ACE hardware store epoxy than Towers stuff, lots cheaper too. Towers plug wrench isn't chrome but it's half price and holds your spare plugs, I like the long version in case you get a plane one day with a cowl. Nice list. Imagine the savings getting someone online who quit the hobby or his estate holds this and then some for a fraction of the price. This is about $1000 order going retail. Wait for a swap meet, look in RCU marketplace, you're bound to save hundreds and get higher quality items. I prefer electric fuel pumps, stronger starters, and this tool set can't be beat for field work http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bon/bon10632.htm

Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 AM
cappaj1

I removed the spinner from the list just now as a spinner is included with the ARF.
8.99 SPINNER http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHBS5&P=0
Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 AM
rambler53

Plastic spinner vs. spinner nut? I'll take the metal nut every time. Faster prop changes, stronger, doesn't look ugly after three starts as plastic melts from the electric starter slipping on it. Guess you're ready now to jump in and buy the farm?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Plastic spinners don't melt if you do it right, and they help a little with speed. Aluminum spinners are the cool way to go, unless you have a cub or something that a spinner would look goofy on. I have that six shooter style pump and I hate it. Get the small hand held crank pump, only 9.99 at Tower. I am ordering mine today.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
rambler53

Sometimes the engine gets flooded, especially inverted, and doing it right. It's just a matter of time. Aluminum spinner might be worth the extra coin.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM
cappaj1

I did it! Just placed my initial order with Tower for the LT-40, OS Max 46AX and Futaba 7C 2.4Ghz radio. Got to put together the next order for some of the other stuff next! I'll post an update when I do!

Should have the ARF next week and hopefully put together and flying by that weekend! Wish me luck!!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
cappaj1

Just placed my second and third orders for the other things I'll need. Everything is due to arrive around the 15th. I'm excited, worried and depressed.
Excited because I have most everything I need to start; worried because now I have to get everything together including the ARF and also because I'll start flying and maybe crash my own plane; and depressed because I just spent so much darn money. Oh well, just hope most everything goes smoothly.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
rambler53

$225.00 or more $35.00 014CN
You can break up your orders in $225 lots and save $35 again and again, adds up quick, become a member, and get free shipping over $150 orders.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I would skip the fancy extra transmitter battery because with the fast charger it won't make any difference. You will be able to fly all day with just one or the other a trianer box of your own is not necessary but I have to admit it makes it easier to get on the trainer as you won't have to reset a club box every time (do it any way so you know how! a few times ). And later when you are teaching you will have a trainer box. As long as your budget can handle it go for it.

Be aware, eventually YOU WILL CRASH. Don't let it get you to far down. The LT 40 is VERY repairable. I have one I use for boppin' around and training and I have been at it for years. It needs a little TLC now but it will be back ASAP

The first pic is the LT slightly modified and there is a good quick field stand(less than 15$) it is sitting on. you can get 'em at the local nursing home if you can out run an octagenarian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74485.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	987219   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27555.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	987220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36742.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	987221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47072.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	987222  
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems most has been covered. I've been flying a long time without a transmitter case, but I guess it is a good idea. My first field box was a five-gallon pail and that served me several years. I'm easy.

I have two Dave Brown Six-Shooters (one glow, one gasoline) and they have been foolproof as a fueler/defulers. Sure, an electric is faster. But I seldom waste much and I've NEVER shot fuel into my eyes accidently as two flyers I have been with have at our field with electric pumps.. Also less wires/batteries/failure points. By counting pumps vs. unpump revolutions I know how much fuel I used in a flight. I have a one-gallon metal can on my flight box and the Six-Shooter straps to that. I slide three long shanked screwdrivers into the strap to carry them along.

Fuel filters - I have one on the line from my pump to the fueler nozzle. None on any of my models. I figure if I put clean, filtered fuel in the model's tank I don't need the added air-incursion opportunities and complications of additional splits and connectors in my fuel line. Just a personal preferance. I do use them on my gasoline models carb lines but not my glow.

A roll of hatch tape (thick, clear tape) is a very handy thing in a flight box. Repair minor covering pokes & tears and such. I get it from Tower and I think it is supposed to be for sealing r/c boat hatches and hinging little electric airplanes.

Also sunscreen and bug repellant. And a squirt bottle of Windex or other cleaning solution plus some paper towels in the car.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Jetdesign

The depression of spending so much money will soon turn into an obsession to spend even more money. Trust me.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 AM
rambler53

12v wires to a enclosed and secured DC source fails so easily? Lots more wires with connectors in the plane hold up fine during vibration and bouncy landings. Fuel consumption never was something I've cared to know about. I guess I concentrate on the planes flight, and check it over for a safe second flight. I've seen guys skip pre-flight checks, and lose everything over a 99 cent clevis or ez connector. I guess it would be interesting to check it though. I get a feel for the seconds it takes me to defuel my plane with an electric pump. I hold the line without a problem to my fuel nipple, if it did splash, my eyes are covered with sunglasses, good old sunny Florida is a year round microwave it seems.

When I started out I considered a lanier explorer in the magazine, but then I saw a local deal, second hand stuff. I bought 11 planes, 4 radios, boxes of hardware, boxes of new engines, flight box stuffed with tools and it's the big old box with the double hinged trays on top, all for $600 from a local guy getting out of the hobby. To this day, I prefer second hand planes that are already passed the maiden flight, CG tweak, seasoned engine, and proven to be flying planes. It's mostly what I sell here too, over 200 times, I think I bought 100 used items here with equal success. RCU has to be one of the safest places on Earth to market RC.

Tower must be happy, shipping rates must be killing them, so many discontinued planes on "40 arf" search, I wonder if everyone went electric last month? Just a thought, it would have been another choice to bless the local hobby shop with a big order on the spot, in stock, and earn his free advice through this learning curve that's starting from point 0.0. I get a lot of questions and it's funny to me when they bought somewhere else and can't get the answer from that seller he picked over me. But that's the hobby, I'll help anyone that's green online, as much as the older gentleman locally who could use a hand carrying his plane over to the runway at the club. For $132, I'd ante up for a .60 Hobbistar trainer or it's equal. AMA magazine did a great series of articles on that plane 2 years ago and I've trained many with it successfully. I just hate seeing retail I suppose for a .40 trainer when every dollar matters to me these inflated days. Sorry if I sound negative, I don't mean to be. I've got 55 ARFs new in box now flooding several rooms in the house, and about 20 ready to fly nitro planes in the garage. Haven't seen my wife in 7 years, it was a wise exchange, because somehow, I'm debt free too. Those mall trips she took killed me! She thought camping was staying at Motel 6!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Jetdesign

oh yeah and don't be worried, we'll help you!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:50 AM
cappaj1

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

oh yeah and don't be worried, we'll help you!!!
You already have, a ton. Thank you very much for all of you're help so far - to you and everyone else as well.

As you and others suggested I joined tower's super saver club and got free shipping! I also split my orders up into three, such that I got three $30 discounts.

I also bundled the plane, engine and radio by using Tower's 'build your own combo' option - got an extra glo starter to boot - in order to save a little more.

I spent a lot but felt pretty good about the savings - no shipping, no tax! Got so excited I posted the list of what I purchased on my blog here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=426702

Thanks again, guys!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you haven't ordered yet there are some different sources for items that are cheaper than from Tower.

Transmitter case. $43 from Tower. You can get a case from Lowes for $24. [link]http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24981-16878-60132&lpage=none[/link]

Neck strap. Forget about getting one from Tower. Go to a local music shop that sells musical instruments and get a saxophone strap. You can get a better strap for less money.

Many items such as these can be found locally for less money most of the time. When they are sold as a "hobby" item the price usually gets jacked up.

Ken
Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
rambler53

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36870

I use these $12 cases from harbor freight, $2 more gets a size big enough for two transmitters at a store in town here.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
brett65

I ordered the Tower tx case for only $19.99 and it was only a plastic gun case. It wasn't a "Tower" case, it was just a plastic gun case. It's a nice one, but I think the local sporting goods store might have had it cheaper. Get you a rifle case and you can put the tx and wings in it!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
rambler53

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110244986242

This is the kind of bargains to hunt for. What a great deal this package was! I try to talk sellers into shipping all the time and it usually works.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
cappaj1

Just checked with skyking and the locator I want probably won't work with the 7C so it's out for now.
http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/acc...del_alarm.html
Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't worry about getting one anyway. I've been flying for 12 years and I've never seen the need to have one. Always been able to find the wreakage [:@]

Ken
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 AM
cappaj1

I just added to my list three line fuel supply components:

1.79 STOPPER/COPPER LINES http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE975&P=ML
1.35 ea 2 CLUNKS http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHE9&P=7
7.95 THREADED FUEL DOT http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/f...s/tetdots.html
2.99 FUEL LINE -Dubro http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRM1&P=0

If anyone can suggest a better setup, or anything I'm missing, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 PM
brett65

If you are buying an ARF, it will likely come with everything there. Mine came with all the needed tank hardware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.