Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie Airplane Order/Build/BreakIn/Maiden/SoloVideo/Deadsticks!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie Airplane Order/Build/BreakIn/Maiden/SoloVideo/Deadsticks!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:03 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PLEASE check my list -Need help in what to buy for beginner -THANKS!!

I finally got the bearings and ring for the OS Max 40FSR from 1974, mounted it to a test board I made, bolted it down to the Northampton test bench and started it up. It took 10 seconds of spinning with the starter before it started to cough and ran on it's own, but it didn't seem to want to advance throttle very quickly. Had plenty of compression though. I suspect it's just a low speed needle adjustment but it doesn't have one, instead having what I'm told is a bleeder screw. How do you adjust these? If the engine is hesitating, as seen on the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN5JXmEzHd8]video[/link] I captured of this test run, when throttling up, I'm told it's flooding with fuel, so I want to lean it with the bleeder. What direction would that be?

I also had a few screws come loose, one an engine mount to the firewall, which came all the way out, and one of the nose gear screws into the firewall. I removed them all and applied threadlocker and re-inserted them and tightened them back up.

The fuel compartment cover on top of the plane blew off in flight a while back as it was only held down by a single flimsy self tapping screw, so I built a new one with some ply, covered it with Aerokote and put in two heavier screws to hold it in place. It's not going anywhere now. I need to cover the entire cover with a second layer of Aerokote to clean up it's appearance and cover the leading curved edge.

The Aerokote is starting to peel in certain areas - see the photos. I'm thinking of peeling it back, trying to soak it with alcohol to draw the fuel out and blowing it with hot air to dry the wood before applying new Aerokote. Is this a good idea?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89681.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1032750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41560.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1032751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91072.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1032752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19324.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1032753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71304.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1032754  
Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 PM
fly boy2

Default RE: PLEASE check my list -Need help in what to buy for beginner -THANKS!!

what kind of grapics are you asking for from tb-tyler, and what does it cost?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 AM
cappaj1

On top of the wing, he was going to do an American flag furling with an eagle and stars and stripes on the bottom of the wing. He sent me a sample and it looked really good.

He uses some very thin 3M material with an adhesive back to print on and it would cost me about his cost -or $75. I didn't do anything yet as I haven't gotten an answer to my last question about how to eliminate ripples and air bubbles and about how heavy is the material, nor did he do the design yet for the bottom of the wing. It's also a little too expensive to me.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:23 PM
cappaj1

Default RE: Newbie Airplane Order/Build/BreakIn/Maiden/SoloVideo/Deadsticks!!

Well, after my initial post in this thread of all the things I needed to purchase as a newbie, now that I've had a season of experience,
I thought I'd share my comments on each of my purchases in the hopes that it might be helpful to anyone planning to start out themselves.
So, here it goes:

RADIO-Futaba 7C 2.4 GHz - I love this radio. For any other beginner I would recommend going with a 2.4 GHz radio. There is now one available from Spectrum for $99. If a newbie is sure they are going to stick with the hobby, I recommend at least the 7 channel and if I were to do it all over again I would have purchased the 9 channel JR 2.4 GHz radio.
RADIO CASE - Use it all the time! I purchased a hard case for a single radio. I would have gotten one for two radios if doing it again so I could transport my buddy box in the same case.
RADIO CHARGING JACK - Use all the time.
RADIO CHARGE LEADS - Use all the time.
AIRPLANE-Sig Kadet LT-40 ARF . Great trainer. I'm purchasing another as I crashed the first one.
ENGINE - O.S. MAX 46AX ABL w/Muffler - Great, powerful, smooth running, engine! I had trouble with the first one, but received a replacement promptly from Hobby Services! Love OS Max for quality and service!
AFTER RUN OIL - Already in Cool Power I use so I don't use after every flight, although I do use it when storing the plane for long periods.
BUDDY CABLE - Futaba -Use and will keep - see below.
BUDDY BOX Futaba - Use and will keep; after using it to train, once experienced, it still is great to have to train others or
NECK STRAPS - Never used them but plan on doing so next year.
CHARGER - Multiplex charger/cycler - Great little charger. I definetely recommend this one.
VOLTMETER - Tower cheapy loaded voltmeter - Use all the time. Great! I would have purchased the H-9 digital loaded meter though if doing it again.
VOLT WATCH - Useful all the time and I recommend them.
GLO-STARTER CHARGE LEADS - Use all the time - Great!
GLO-STARTERw/Meter,rechargable - Tower, plunger type. Returned it. Do not like this type as they flop around after the engine starts and can come off. Purchased instead Sonictronics McDaniels rechargeable Ni-starter which I like ALOT better. I really recommend the screw on type glow ignitor's and McDaniel invented it!
EXTRA GLO STARTER - Cheapy screw on type from Tower which takes a standard rechargeable AA battery. Used as a backup or loaned to others when they needed one, frequently! Great investment.
GLO PLUG _ I now use and recommend OS Max A3 plugs.
GLO/PROP WRENCH - I recommend one like the one I purchased that holds spare plugs inside and with a long neck. Great.
ENGINE STARTER Hobbico Deluxe. I love this starter. Works great, no complaints.
STARTER BATTERY Hobbico lead acid. I WOULDN'T purchase again; instead I'd build one out of LiPo's as the lead acid only holds a charge for a single day's use. Acceptable.
STARTER BAT CHGR - Walwart - works great for lead acid battery to charge it overnight.
FUEL PUMP - Dave Brown Holster - I didn't like this as it flops around too much and takes too many turns to pump. I ordered SLIMLINE M4 for 47.49 as a replacement and haven't used it yet but would recommend it based on what I've seen from others.
PROPS - Strarted with Master Airscrews but they were flimsy and loud. To quiet my airplane I ended up using APC props which are quieter and also sturdier. I ended up liking 11x6 for the 46AX engine.
BALANCER - Finger tip prop - Great purchase; use often; recommended to keep in the flight box.
MONOKOTE IRON-Hobbico. I used mine to iron out the wrinkles that pop up from time to time. Good purchase.
HEAT GUN- Tower Hobbies Deluxe. Love this thing! Really good at removing bubbles and large wrinkles.
AEROKOTE-WHITE -for repairs-Used it just as I thought I would, to patch worn and torn areas on the LT-40 from alot of use!
FUEL LINE-Dubro Silicone medium - worked great; liked the different colors for each line.
FUEL FILTER - Great Planes - I used it in the fuel jug only and would recommend to anyone.
EPOXY 6 min. Tower brand - Never used
EPOXY 30 min. Tower brand - Used all two bottles for assembly
WOOD GLUE - Never used
SUPERGLUE Zap super thin CA - Use all the time
WEIGHTS, Segmented stick on - for balancing plane - Used all of them and ordered another pack for my next two planes
THREAD LOCKER -for wheels, engine screws - Didn't use at first and regretted as I had my nose wheel come loose after a screw came completely out, as did one of the bolts on my engine mount! Recommend highly on metal to metal applications.
FOAM RUBBER - Recommend wrapping fuel tank with it to reduce foaming.
BATTERY HI AMP FOR TRANSMITTER 9.6V 2300mAh Square Futaba NT8S600B - Highly recommend this as it allows many more flights between charges than does the standard battery.
BATTERY HI AMP FOR RECEIVER 4.8V 2300 mAh NiMH- Highly recommend this as it allows many more flights between charges than does the standard battery.
SIMULATOR - Real Flight G4 - One of the best purchases I made; recommend highly.
Sunglasses, Cooler, Folding Chair, Baseball Cap, Sunscreen, Bug Spray, Umbrella,
Digicam w/video, mp3 player, ear protection - Use all but the mp3 player, and ear protection, but nice to have in the field box.
TALKING TIMER - Never used but may in the future.
FUEL - 1 Gallon Morgan Cool Power 15%Nitro - Swear by it!
PROP REAMER - Used for every prop I had to use. Great purchase!
FIELD BOX - The one I purchased, the Great Planes Master Caddy Prebuilt works great!
Kneeling Pad - Nice to have but never used once as the flight benches were always available.
PIN DRILL - Nice to have but never used.
GLO STARTER w/Meter - I recommend the short MacDaniels Ni-Starter from Sonictronics. Have two and swear by them!
FULTS DUAL STRUT NOSEGEAR - Very good for a trainer at saving bent nose gear from hard landings which occur for beginners.
Carb Cover - Great kit, from Tower, use all the time; keeps fuel from dripping out of the muffler or carb when transporting plane in car.
SPINNER - Great Planes aluminum. I like this one, although expensive, a lot better for looks than the plastic ones.
TAP & DRILL SET - Already used for mounting the engine in my biplane. Great!
Hobby knife, allens, screwdrivers, needle nose, elect tape, clear packgng tape, clear nail polish(for balancing props),epoxy brushes, Pins,Windex,towels - Used all except the pins.

Other items I ended up purchasing and would recommend carrying to the field: Camcorder - to not only videotape others flights but have someone videotape important flights of your own.
Extra field charger. The one I purchased, the hobbico field charger, charges two batteries at once. I use the Multiplex at home and the Hobbico at the field.
12 Volt Battery jumper. I had one of these laying around - a husky - and it works great at the field with the Hobbico Field charger.