Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Extra plane suggestions.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Extra plane suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:06 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra plane suggestions.

I maidened this plane tonight myself. It was only my fourth solo flight but I knew I could do it. She needed some elevator and aileron trim and was fine. The engine was a different story. Got to do my first 2 deadsticks![X(] Let out a couple choice words when I heard her die, but got it down real nice and smooth. I noticed that it doesn't float like my Skyraider does, but needs alot more speed to stay aloft. You can see all the lead on the motor mount that it took to balance her right. I think she is too heavy. Here is my main question. Should I leave her heavy and practice landing a faster less "floaty" airplane, or try to fix it? I know for sure that I'm gonna make it a taildragger after I have had more time on the trike gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95417.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	988144  
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Extra plane suggestions.

First thing that you might want to do is figure out why the engine keeps quitting on you. I am not sure how you can shed enough weight to make a difference, so keep flying her the way that she is. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

I have similar style trainer and when I got her the battery was just at the trailing edge of the wing and she had a ton of lead under the fuel tank. I just rebuilt her after a crash and moved the battery to just below the fuel tank, she is balanced almost perfect and she shed alot of weight.

Gary
Old 07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Villa

Hi brett65
Have you tried to move things around (servos, engine, fuel tank, battery, receiver) instead of adding nose weight? Sometimes using a flat battery pack gives you the room you need. Can the engine move forward just a little, even if it takes a new engine mount? It is not the end of the world to rip out the servo tray and relocate it. I add weight only as a last resort.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 AM
spiral_72

I'd find a way to remove the weight too. That looks like a semi-symetrical wing. It shouldn't float too bad.

If you still can't get the lead out, use that as a good excuse to install a larger engine!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks to be about 1.5oz of lead from what I can see in the photo. If so that isn't all that much and you should be able to move the gear around to get it to CG without the lead.
If not don't sweat it. When you change the plane over to A tail dragger that will probably remove all the lead.
As Dave said, get that engine tuned and running well!!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

It actually has an entire package of great planes lead on it. The other side of the mount has the same amount of lead. [] Oh well, what do you want for a free plane? The thing is gonna be a frankenstein for me. I'm gonna experiment with it.