Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mounting the horizontal stabilizer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mounting the horizontal stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 04:08 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting the horizontal stabilizer

I'm epoxying the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage and all the instructions called for was drawing a centerline on both parts, peeling away any monokote from either part where they contact each other, and slow dry epoxying the two together centerline to centerline. Nowhere does it say anything about making sure the stabilizer is at a 90 degree angle to the fuselage, both from front to back and from the side . Can I trust the centerlines and the flat surface of each where they contact each other to properly line things up? I hope so, the glue is drying now.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Fflier9
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Mounting the horizontal stabilizer

well, just eyeball it....if you're not building a pattern ship or something it's not a huge deal. If it looks like it about 90 degrees, just leave it.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:24 PM
flyX

Don't eye ball it. If you do, You have to close one eye and stand way back.
Don't trust your eyes. We all have blinde spots. I seen all those illusion pictures.

You have makesure it's correct in different directions. I usually put a mark at the center of the rear of the horizontal stab to help me.
To mount the horizontal stab.
From the TOP view makesure it's center to the fuselage. Mark the center for the front and back of the vertical stab with a pen.
It will makesure your model won't yaw, mininize drag or track straight. It is very critical becuase if you don't get it
correct, your model will yaw dfferently depending on the speed of the model.

To makesure it's 90 deg to the horizontal stab. I use a triangle or a square.
I butt the triangle to the fuselage and makesure the horizontal stab is 90 degree .
Then I mount the vertical stab and makesure it's 90 degree to the horizontal stab. I cut the conner of the triangle incase there's flairing.
If you mess up on this part it's not as bad becuase you can either sand the main wing's saddle or use wire brace to try to striaghten
the tail feathers, but i rather do it right the first time to save me a lot of work later.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:44 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Take a piece of string and using a T-pin attach it to the middle of the engine firewall. Stretch the string until the slack is removed, place the loose end at one of the stab. edges, move it to the other side, adjust stab as necessary. When both sides measure the same it's square to the fuse. If your off a hair, it's not that big of a deal. The stab and vertical fin can be trimmed out in flight if they are off a tad.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And read A book or ask the question so you have an idea of how to do something before you apply the glue.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:11 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having read your question and the replies I will add this. There seems to be some possible misunderstanding to what you are doing. I know I'm not sure of the replies. to me I believe you wish to align the stab to the fuselage so it's at right angles to it. Fine the most important thing is that it is exactly parallel with the wing. assuming this is an arf and the wing properly fits the saddle which they generally do. Set your fuselage in some type of holder to hold it firmly level and straight. Stand back and eyeball the stab (before glueing) to see if it aligns with the wing, do this from front and rear. This will be quite apparant if so. Of course there are more technical means but this works fine. It is very important that they do align. This is possible to do regardless of what plane it is. If not aligned you will have to sand the stand seat some.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 PM
TedMo

Just wondering how you trim a stab and vertical fin in flight???? I can do the elevater and rudder but never knew how to do the others.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Allfat
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TedMo

Just wondering how you trim a stab and vertical fin in flight???? I can do the elevater and rudder but never knew how to do the others.
Well, if they are off a little, you compensate by trimming in some rudder or elevator. You can't actually trim the stab or fin, they are attached to the plane.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

You want to measure from a point on the tip of the stab (the same point on both sides) to the tip of the wing; the distance will be equal when the stab is square to the plane. Once you get that set, you want to measure the vertical distance from the wings to the stab; they should be the same on both sides. The wings and stab should be square to the plane (measured to the center point on the tail) and need to be square with each other.

I believe this is important as I am flying a plane that is no longer 'square'. Even if you are not going to fly pattern, you don't want to learn bad habits of using ailerons to help you track through a loop because your plane isn't straight.

So again, by this point you should have measured a point on the wing tips to a center point on the plane to square the wings to the plane. Then you want to measure from the tip of the wing to a point on the tip of the stab and it should be the same on both sides (mine have all been to within 1/16" before crashes) Then when everything is square, make sure the stab is parallel to the wings by measuring the vertical distance from the wing to the stab (on a level surface, measure the distance from the wings to the surface, then from the stab to the surface; should be the same on both sides).
Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
TedMo

My point exactly. I think many should first learn correct terminology prior to asking a question.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

ted,

this IS the beginners forum they come HERE to learn about the planes/building and terminology. so we, who try to help them must remember they are new and dont know all the terms yet and not chastise them for a mistake.

bassman
Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

I didn't ask a question, I replied with my take on how to square up the tail feathers. Yes, I should have said compensate for vs. trim out the rear stabilizer/fin, but I think most folks new I was talking about trimming the rudder/elevator to compensate. Ha! you had me going for a second, and yes, most of use are new to this so we are still learning the terms relating to aerodynamics and so forth.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
TedMo

My apology. I guess I did forget this a beginners thread. However, can't help but think much of what could be learned is possible by some research. This forum is great but perhaps this is how things are today, don't expend any effort just find someone to do it for you.
I apologize again for being A cynical old fart.