Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new glow pilot beginners full list of req'd items?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new glow pilot beginners full list of req'd items?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:54 PM
beachyboy429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new glow pilot beginners full list of req'd items?

Ok, im not new now, but soon, very soon i will be purchasing the H9 Mustang 60 ARF with the Saito 100 4stroke. Besides the plane, engine, transmitter, servos/reciever, what will i need to have to let this thing fly? Im talkin tools and equiptment. Ive heard abt voltwatches, on-field chargers, glow plugs and field packs and idk what any of that is . I fly my electric strykers and i just peak charge w/ the cig charger in the car and fly. lol

help?
Thanks!
Michael
Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: new glow pilot beginners full list of req'd items?

The most important thing you are going to need is an instructor/mentor.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 AM
UH60 Crewdog

Reciever battery, Look at your servo's and figure out what there 4.8 volt tq is Verses there 6V tq, it makes a difference in there speed also. You shouldnt need a field charger if you charge you batteries the night before. I suggest a electric starter for new engines, It just saves alot of time for initial tuning and setup. The initial costs are high but after being in the hobby for a while you will realize you have extras of this and that making things way cheaper down the road. Good luck
Old 07-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Spacemonkey71

i'm assuming your talking about the PTF model P51? I met someone recently who had flown that plane with the PTF. He said that even with the "trainer" add-ons (like the wing covering and "wheel cover flaps") it was still a FAST plane that was pretty spooky to fly just b/c of it's speed. <<< all of these devices are supposed to slow the plane down.....>>>. He liked it alot overall, but that it was really FAST and it too him quite a few days to get used to it; then he pulled the "training wheels off" - for ONE run [X(] it scared the living crap out of him and he decided that he needed more practice [sm=confused_smile.gif]

If it's not the PTF system and it's the "standard" P51, you've still mounted a pretty wicked little toy to the front of your plane, that Saito 100 4-Stroke is also a VERY fast engine too! If your goal was to build a race plane or just something that moves like a hummingbird on crystal meth, you've achieved your goal

I'd go ahead and get extra plugs, a few extra pairs of wings, extra repair items, etc... they're going to come in handy. Also, get a "field tool box kit" -Tower has them for ~$125-$150; there are alot more field toys you need with "fuel based" engines and besides the fuel; glow engines/4 stroke have ALOT of freaking chargers associated with them!
(1) charger (wall socket, 110V) for Tx + Rx/flight battery charging discharging;
(2) 12V deep cycle gell battery for the glow plug, electric fuel pump (oh, don't forget that too; or a manual one), and the starter -this is the "field battery" for the "starter" and "plug heater" (aka "Chicken bone"- It spins starts your engine Fingers don't grow back and I don't think Tower Hobbies sells them either )
(3) charger (wall socket, 110V) to charge the 12V deep cycle battery. Extra flight batteries are nice to have too!

I'm sure there are a couple of things that I'm forgetting since it's 300am here....

And someone who will walk you through the engine break-in period for the 4 stroke engine, you'll need a tachometer to check the rpm during the break in so it won't run rich or lean and SERIOUSLY damage the engine. You REALLY need guidance -as in "at your side"- on how to do this right. I've read a few manuals on 4 stroke engines and they real powerhouses but they're also a WHOLE lot more complex and you can booger one up BAD real quick!

You're going to be running 90 with your hair on fire during your first few run. I'm positively GREEN with envy [:'(]
Old 07-21-2008, 04:22 AM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

I put together a list of everything I purchased to start out at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7692929/tm.htm
One of the things I forgot was a prop reamer.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
beachyboy429

OH MAN this is going to be expensive....

"Dear Santa, my wishlist this year is... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7692929/tm.htm "
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Tissan

Are you sure about that specific trainer?

It’s called a trainer but I don’t think it is one…

Don’t you want a Sig LT 40 or an avistar 40 they are much more suitable to be a trainer…

with the OS 46 AX or the Thunder tiger 46 pro, also with the radio you can get

something a bit more simple and much cheaper then what cappaj list.

The list that cappaj put together is good, I would remove the sim and the field box and half of the items.

This PTS looks like 2nd or 3rd plane…

Take a look at RCKen's list for recommended first and second plane.

oh yes get in touch with an instructor first.

Good Luck anyway
Alex