Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

TEAM Airshow, McMinnville OR

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

TEAM Airshow, McMinnville OR

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TEAM Airshow, McMinnville OR

I couldn't find a more appropriate place for this so I thought I'd entertain, (bore) you all with the report here in the begginers thread.

Last Saturday (7/19/08) Was the model Airshow and introduction event at the Evergreen Aviation Museum's Bibee - DeAlton Field in McMinnville Oregon. The show was hosted, and put on by The Evergreen Aeromodelers at the request of the Museum.

It was a bit gusty, winds were roughly 10-15mph+ but gusting and shifting a lot, so the officials decided against any formal aerobatic demonstrations
I arrived fashionably late[:@] (About 10 minutes after the official start). Of course there were already planes in the air, so I found an empty station in the pit and began setting up. (I got the last station available LOL!!) I havent seen this many club members at the field at one time in a very long time! Not since the fun fly last October in fact!

I flew my only flight ready bird, my Arrow. I spent a good half hour between setting up, and visiting with the other members. I finally preflighted my bird around 1045 and put her up for my first of several flights that day. The wind was fun, but I have gotten used to flying in gusty conditions and enjoy the challenge. (Read this n00b hasnt lost an bird to a bad gust on landing yet)

We had several spectators request to fly the clubs trainers, and get to. One young boy, about 8 I think, has been flying aerobatics on Real Flight for some time, so his groud school included tellin him that he needed to show the instructor he could handle the aircraft in basic controlled flight. He was amazing, the instructor didnt have to take control once till it was timeto land!

I alternated from practicing my maneuvers, and just wringing the bird out for fun way up high. I practice Immelmans and Split S' still, with the snap roll added! That was fun!!!
I put an 11-6 prop on the Arrow to se how I liked it, RPMS WAY down, but she idles better with the larger prop, and she flies more stably, and a bit slower. It was suggested that I put an 11x5 on it, since I am trying to begin learning the kinds of things they do in precision aerobatics.

I was also told by more than one person that I needed to graduate to a low wing such as the 4*. I'm not so sure. I have a lot of fun, and I am getting the basic maneuvers I play with down, but I do still have trouble with basic things like making a turn without an altitude change. I am building a SPAD stick, so a more aerobatic bird is in the near future..

I was talking aerobatics with one of our older members, and found out that he used to fly competitively at the national level! No wonder what he calls relaxing sport flying looks so good to me! He gave me a few pointers, but mostly he said if I want to fly Aerobatics the key is practice practice practice.

My final flight began after the event officially ended, and was cut short as the field workers came out to bail the hay in the field by where we fly. Wind was blowing dust right at us. I made my only real mistake here... I circled around for landing. I made my turn to final but I was short, so I pulled up, without adding power [X(][:@]. AstroDad, Yes, when at low altitude the Arrow will stall! She popped up, then nosed in from about 10' up, it was a gentle stall as the Arrow does, so no damage, but I did bust the new 11x6 prop I had...

All in all it was a fantastic day at the TEAM Air field.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TEAM Airshow, McMinnville OR

cool Adui, sound like you had a great time. I have always wanted a four *, I will make a spad one soon. the stick you are building is very aerobatic. next on your list would be the demon spad. its an awesome plane. my boy can make it do all kinds of things, even take out the trash! LOL the demon build is a little different on the wing, it has 2mm on the top. it makes it lighter. I have to get the 2mm from harbor sales, I get 6 to 8 sheets at a time.