Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Turning radius lesson....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Turning radius lesson....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning radius lesson....

I have about 16 flights in on my Aerostar .25
My instructor suggested I check my front wheel by rolling the plane down the driveway.
I was surprised how far off it was. I adjusted the linkage until it rolled straight. This should help my takeoffs.
A simple thing I never thought of. I was not aware how sensitive the front wheel is. rolling it in the driveway I could see how tight it turns.
I also moved to connection to the inner most hole on the servo. this should make it less sensitive....

Funny when I was setting this plane up I was concerned because I though there was not enough turn on the front wheel....

Steve
Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turning radius lesson....

Very common. Most beginners set up their aircraft with way too much movement on the nose gear. Until people learn takeoffs they don't have an appreciation for how an almost imperceptable movement has such a pronounced effect on controllability.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep. You should ALWAYS test roll to make sure rudder neutral rolls straight. Not a good thing to find out that when the nosewheel loses contact with the ground that the rudder wants to yaw the model off course. Set the nose wheel on the furthest out (least responsive) hole of the gear control arm and closest in of the servo. You can usually "override" it with a blip on the throttle to swing the rudder once you get moving, anyway.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True. I came to hate trike LG setups. If you lay into the rudder at the end of a roll our, your three points of contact with the runway usually end up being a wing tip, the nose wheel and a prop that is reducing in diameter.

I finally sat up my last nose gear for a maximum of 5 degrees either side of straight. I could do a U turn in about 25 ft with it.

After my crash, I went to a tail drager and have never looked back.

Don
Old 07-22-2008, 05:52 AM
jetmech05

I eyeball the nose gear first...do a few taxi runs before a maiden flight....get airborne, trim, then come home and set the nose gear by rolling it down the driveway...that way if I have to trim the rudder I'm not messing with the steering.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:11 AM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Popriv

My instructor suggested I check my front wheel by rolling the plane down the driveway.
I was surprised how far off it was. I adjusted the linkage until it rolled straight. This should help my takeoffs.
A simple thing I never thought of. I was not aware how sensitive the front wheel is. rolling it in the driveway I could see how tight it turns.
I also moved to connection to the inner most hole on the servo. this should make it less sensitive....

Funny when I was setting this plane up I was concerned because I though there was not enough turn on the front wheel....

Steve
Thanks for the tip! I'm building my first airplane right now and will 'roll it down' too to adjust the nose wheel.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: cappaj1

ORIGINAL: Popriv

Steve
Thanks for the tip! I'm building my first airplane right now and will 'roll it down' too to adjust the nose wheel.
Whatever you do, don't adjust the steering by using rudder trim. Adjust the steering with the linkage only. The earlier comment about getting the steering "close", then trimming the rudder in flight and finally making any necessary steering adjustment is right on the money.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one more thing be sure the nose gear is giving a right turn when rudder is also. That has been overlooked many times.