Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to hook up all the wires

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to hook up all the wires

Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hook up all the wires

I'm just about finished with my airplane and want to try and get it out to the field today but can't figure out how to connect all the wires.

Does the receiver just get hooked up to all the servos and which one goes to which channel? The jacks are numbered 1-7. Does the receiver need to be hooked up to the battery?
Where does the battery get connected to? I have three wires from the switch and a jack on the back of the charging jack I installed. Nowhere in the Futaba 7C manual does it show how to hook all these wires up.

Please help!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: How to hook up all the wires

The battery will plug into the switch and you plug the switch into the receiver. Look at the last plug and see if it has a B next to the number, you plug it in there. Each spot on the rx is in the manual on page 14.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 PM
mclina

Going from having nothing plugged in to the RX, to flying the same day, is a bit aggressive. You will want to make sure everything is plugged in right, that all of your throws are adjusted properly, that none of the servos are binding, and that your CG is right where you want it. Follow the manual as to which channel controls which function, and get your throws as close to the recommendations as you can.

And make sure your batteries are fully charged.

Good luck with the maiden!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Jim,
The channel assignments are listed on page 14 of the manual: [link]http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/7c-manual.pdf[/link]

The channels for the Futaba are assigned as such.
1- Ailerons
2- Elevator
3- Throttle
4- Rudder
5- Landing gear/ left flap and aileron/spare
6- Flaps/combined left flap and aileron/spare
7- Combined left flap and aileron/spare

The battery will usually be hooked up to the last slot (usually labled "B"). But the battery can be connected to any open channel slot as it doesn't matter. If all slots are full you can hook up a Y-harness into any slot and hook the battery to one side and the servo to the other side.

For your switch. There will be one side of the switch that has two wires coming out, and the other side has one wire. The single wire goes to your receiver. On the two wire side one wire goes to your battery and the other wire is used to recharge the battery.

Hope this helps

Ken

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91666.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	995550  
Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 PM
mclina

As for the three wires coming off your switch - one goes to the charge jack, one goes to the battery, and one goes to the RX. If your RX doesn't have a port labelled "battery", then just plug it into any port you are not using (flaps, gear...).

If you accidentally mix up the switch wires for the RX and charge jack, then off will be on and on will be off.

I like to plug everything into the rx while it is still hanging out of the plane, and make sure that EVERYTHING is functioning correctly BEFORE I bury it all inside the fuse. You may also want to either shrink wrap or tape together any connectors that do not need to be routinely disassembled.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:52 PM
jetmech05

I am not trying to be insulting here...I hope you understand what I am going to say...first receiver and battery placement affects CG...second you sound a bit unsure of yourself, do you have an instructor?....If not you need one..consider going to your local RC field and seeing someone will mhelp you..
Good Luck
Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks, Guys,

I stopped down to the club with the plane and the manual and got it all hooked up and synched with the radio. No maiden flight just yet. Have to break in the engine, epoxy the engine compartment and back of the firewall, switch to servo arms on all for servos, and make the throw adjustments. Hopefully, if the weather cooperates I'll have some of that done tomorrow. I'm not going to rush things and I will certainly have the help of an instructor with a buddy box.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
mclina

It sounds like you are doing things perfectly. I think that when we first read "get it out to the field today" we all thought you were planning on flying. Taking it to the field to break in the engine, and to get advice on how to fine-tune everything is a great idea.

I'm sure you will have a succesful maiden flight when you are ready.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 AM
opjose

Yup, make sure that you tell the instructor, that you may not have set the throttle end points properly yet, as you are new to this.

He'll help you get your plane configured, trimmed and flying right.

The help you'll get here alone will be worth the trip to the field.