Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

engine out of control!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

engine out of control!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 PM
magimat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine out of control!

Hi,

I have an old trainer plane with what i think is an OS .46 engine. It used to run very well but it was on the shelf for a few years and recently I decided to take it out.

At first, the engine was impossible to even turn by hand so I took it all apart and cleaned everything. After reassembling the engine, it now turns smoothly by hand with a good compression, like it used to be. So I filled the tank and started it.

Since I dont have any instruction for the engine, I guessed something like 3 turns out for the initial needle adjustement.

The engine will start without any problem and run ok for a few seconds. But before I even begin to try to adjust the needle, it start to spin out of control. It's like it goes way too lean and I just cant control it anymore then. The throttle doesnt have any effect on it.

I am thinking of an air leak maybe on the tank or the fuel tubing? What do you guys think the problem could be ?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Beige

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine out of control!

if it starts, then the rpm rises followed by it cutting out i'd say it's running off the prime then stopping as it's can't get the fuel from the tank.

So, this could well be as simple as it's too lean, I don't know where the factory settings are, but i'd suggest opening up another turn or so and giving it a go, once the engine has started make sure it'll run at a high idle for a few seconds then proceed to tune as normal. If this fails there must be another reason, but start simple before taking the tank apart etc.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine out of control!

Do a thorough cleaning of the carb. Start by removing the carb and soaking it in fuel for several hours. Then, using your fueler system, pump fuel through the carb. Under pressure and with the carb fully open you should get a fairly solid flow.