Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with aeroworks EDGE 540t !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with aeroworks EDGE 540t !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
deadheaddave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with aeroworks EDGE 540t !!!

Recently put together a aeroworks Edge 540t 50 with a 100 saito. The plane flies well but has a few issues maybe someone can help me out with. First, when I do a loop starting from the upright position the plane wants to spin on me, if I pull back on the stick slowly and do a large loop it isnt so bad, but the tighter loops is where things are happening. 2nd, I dead sticked today and the plane did not want to level out and glide down for me, came down almost at a 45deg. angle. landed in some tall grass so just minor main gear damage. So, am I still to nose heavy, Ive adjusted the cg about 3 times now. Is the cg issue to blame for the loop rolls? Does anyone know the best cg for this plane? Really need some help to get this thing flying straight.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Help with aeroworks EDGE 540t !!!

this is out of the instruction manual
62. The recommended CG is 2 ¾ inches from the leading edge of the wing at
the wing root where it meets the fuse. Do not skip this step!
63. Balance the Edge 54T without fuel in the tank.
64. Start at the forward end of the CG range until you are comfortable with the flight characteristics of the aircraft. You may find this a bit nose heavy at first but that is fine to start with. After you are comfortable adjust the CG to suit your flying style in small steps, especially when shifting the CG toward the tail. Move the battery or add small stick on weights to the nose or tail as necessary.
65. For 3D flying a more an aft balance point is better and for smooth pattern aerobatics a more forward CG is better. An aircraft that is too nose heavy does not fly well and is difficult to land. A tail heavy aircraft is uncontrollable and will likely crash.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:42 PM
deadheaddave

Yah, I have that. As for the cg I guess I'll just keep moving it back, but any idea about the loop problem? It shouldn't be left or right side heavy, I have every thing in the plane centered.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 AM
bkdavy

ORIGINAL: deadheaddave

Yah, I have that. As for the cg I guess I'll just keep moving it back, but any idea about the loop problem? It shouldn't be left or right side heavy, I have every thing in the plane centered.
You can't tell if its balanced laterally just by where you've placed the equipment. You must check it. Not all wood is equivalent, and the plane may be heavy on one side or the other.

When you say the plane wants to spin, what do you mean? A typical beginner problem with an aerobatic plane is excessive control throws, particularly on the elevator. When you pull full up elevator to do a tight loop, you rapidly change the angle of attack of the wing. If one wing stalls before the other, and it usually does, you induce what is called a "snap roll".

As for the dead stick, you were probably holding too much up elevator trying to pull the nose up. The plane must have sufficient air speed for the elevator to be effective, as well as overcome you're nose heavy condition. You didn't say where you had the CG, so its not clear to us whether you've correctly balanced the plane or not. On a deadstick, you must release the elevator to give the plane an opportunity to build up airspeed, and then work to level it out. If you just add full elevator while the plane is diving, you prevent it from obtaining the airspeed it needs.

Brad
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

The 'snap roll' sounds like too much elevator movement to me too. Reduce your throws and try again. I second the thought that you need to check your lateral balance. Even if it is centered in the fuse there are still differences that should be checked.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
gunfighterII

I would agree about the elevator throw being excessive. Take some out and try it. If you move the cg back, reduce it some more.

I would also look at the 2 halves moving equally.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

That is a nasty tooth! ^
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
deadheaddave

I had the cg at 2 3/4 as the book said. Today I moved it back to 3 1/8 and flew the plane. It seamed to do alright, need to com in a little hotter on the landing. But the elevator throws are to spec for the low rates and I pull into the loop slowly so the too much elevator is not the problem, It is at about 3/4 of the way through the loop on the way back down that the plane wants to roll right. So I'll check the lateral balance and see whats going on, Let you know, thanks for the input.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
deadheaddave

O.k , I went out and checked the lateral cg, first I did it with the whole plane put together, and it wanted to tip right, then I took the wing off and balanced the wing, it was fine. Then I centered thefuse alone and it wanted to tip right. So, would it be because I have the 100 saito mounted at a 45 to the right side of the cowl. probably is whats throwing it off. But the plane flies fine doing any other manuever except loops it tends to roll right 3/4 through. So should I try and fix this or should I leave it alone. I would like to have it fixed. Would a little left thrust help this, if so how much, I dont think I should add weight to the left wing tip, but maybe. What do you think?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 PM
deadheaddave

ORIGINAL: deadheaddave

O.k , I went out and checked the lateral cg, first I did it with the whole plane put together, and it wanted to tip right, then I took the wing off and balanced the wing, it was fine. Then I centered thefuse alone and it wanted to tip right. So, would it be because I have the 100 saito mounted at a 45 to the right side of the cowl. probably is whats throwing it off. But the plane flies fine doing any other manuever except loops it tends to roll right 3/4 through. So should I try and fix this or should I leave it alone. I would like to have it fixed. Would a little left thrust help this, if so how much, I dont think I should add weight to the left wing tip, but maybe. What do you think?
And yes, that is a nasty Tooth!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
deadheaddave

hello?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
deadheaddave

HELLO?