Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes.com's ARF super trainer 60?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nitroplanes.com's ARF super trainer 60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
beachyboy429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitroplanes.com's ARF super trainer 60?

looks pretty good, and for 80 bucks, a heck of a deal if its quality.

anyone got one??
Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
cdw21

Default RE: Nitroplanes.com's ARF super trainer 60?

Beachyboy, I was wondering the exact same thing. Only thing is they are sold out of the 60 size. Anyway I am interested in anyones comments on this plane too.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

beachyboy429,
The planes sold by Nitroplanes are all from CMP (China Model Products) and are sold under any number of about 30 different company names. The quality of the planes is usually ok to good, but the problems arise from Nitroplanes themselves. These planes usually come with very poor instructions that leave a beginner clueless on how to get the plane together. They also have an awful reputation for customer service if anything is wrong with the kit. I normally recommend that beginner's stay away from them until they get some experience under their wings.

If you're looking for a low cost trainer I suggest the Tower Trainer 40. [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCAS2&P=ML[/link] . It sells for $79 and is a good trianer to learn on.

Ken
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
beachyboy429

they got a 40 that looks real similar. im interested in that too
Old 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beachboy,

check this trainer out also = http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/excel.html

these are blackhorse models and are very good ARF's well made pretty good instructions and at $74.99 a good price also.

bassman
Old 08-01-2008, 04:34 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have maidened four of the forty sized ones. The ones sold for seventy bucks. It is a direct ripoff of the old Goldberg Tiger 11 and it flys just as well.

It is of course CMP and resold by Nitroplanes in south Elmonte Ca. which means you count on zero product support. If you are good with that and you need no builders manual to stick an arf together then its a good bet. Most of the hardware is usable. The covering will blow off in flight in large fluttering sheets. So be prepared for that.

Now having said all that it flys as superbly as the original Tiger 11's and it is a great second airplane. It is not a primary trainer and a very poor idea to use one as a first trainer.

John
Old 08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
beachyboy429

Well i think ill either get the Alpha 40 or the Solo Sport Trainer by H9. i have another post in the RTF or ARF section asking the difference but nobody seems to know, or they just wont respond? im not quite sure..

thanks guys
Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
carrellh

I think the main difference between the Alpha and the Solo is the covering. The Alpha is covered with Ultracoat and the Solo apparently is covered with a 'generic' covering of some sort. I'm going from memory which may or may not be a good thing.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Oops, was thinking this post was about the Nitro low-wing trainers.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:37 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A guy had one of these planes at our field once. The landing gear was way too tall and flimsy. The aileron torque rods were very sloppy and the included push rods were much too flexible. The ailerons were also too big for the plane. The result was a plane very touchy on its roll axis with tendency to flutter every control surface. Based on what I have seen, I would not recommend this airplane.

Other planes from Nitroplanes.com aren't too bad though. Regardless, I don't recommend any of them for a beginner. Stick with names like Great Planes, Sig, Hobbico, Hanger-9, Tower Hobbies and so on. The instructions will actually be useful and loaded with tips for the new builder/pilot. Once you have some experience good instructions won't matter so much and you will be comfortable making any needed modifications on some of the less expensive, off-brand planes.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
beachyboy429

great advice Chuck!

thanks! i think ill do just that. im just deciding between the solo and the alpha (see thread in ARF or RTF section)