Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

cooked battery

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

cooked battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: cooked battery

ORIGINAL: Popriv

{{{After flying when I can be home to monitor it I set up the charger for a "quick Charge". I run it at up to 600mA for this charge, }}}

To repeat myself, 600mA would be 0.6 on the charger dial??
yes

{{{Once I am satisfied I have it nearly fully charged. I shut it all down and unplug the pack from the charger.}}}

You are useing the fact that it is warm to the touch to determine if its fully charged??
I have never felt the pack warm up to the touch. Although once I put it in the plane where I couldnt feel it, it obviously got very hot!
Again, yes. I was informed by Red Schofield (SP) from the RC battery clinic that if your packs aren't getting warm they aren't getting fully charged. Period. As I pointed out, he did say to monitor them, and to not allow them to get hot. When a battery, in this case NiMH, comes close to full charge its resistance or something increases, which increases the heat created in charging.

{{{Meanwhile I use the wall wart that came with the DX6i for the TX batteries, again monitoring them until they are warm,}}}

Do you charge with the back cover off so you can feel the batteries?
Yes and no.. I leave it on while charging, but periodically CAREFULLY remove it to check the batteries. Sometimes I leave it off after this, but not usually.

Thanks for the blow by blow description... Your procedure should work for me except for the initial charge.. What do you do for that?
I also like the charger you pointed out. what wont that charger do? 12V field battery? I'll DL the manual and check it out...

steve
You are most welcome!

The initial charge is the one that takes longest, and that I go the highest on current with. My pack is never drawn way down, so one 2 hour cycle at .6 usually does the trick, but if it doesn't another hour at most on .4 or less gets it done. The trick is to monitor the charging, you can overcharge and damage your pack quite easily if you don't watch it. However; if you monitor it carefully you can charge it at a full 1C safely, though this does reduce your pack life I am told. (1C= your pack capacity EG 2700mAh pack has a 1C, or 1 times C of 2.7A. I NEVER charge that high, and do not recommend it; but theoretically you could. 1C= the current required to charge your pack in 1 hour from a complete discharged state.)

No that charger will not charge the 12v battery, its max capacity is a 9.6v pack. I could charge my TX with it, but the peak detection circuit wont work without modifying the TX. A diode thing I am told. I am not willing to modify my brand new TX so it gets the wall wart.
Since the DX6i uses 4 loose cells I also have a Wall Mart plug in wall charger that charges NiMH at about 250mA I can use, but I don't see a point when I can just use the supplied charger.