Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I flew a new trainer this week!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I flew a new trainer this week!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I flew a new trainer this week!

I was looking for a good quality small electric 4 channel plane capable of slow flight and confined area flying. I ended up leaving my LHS with a Sig Kadet EP 42b (the "b" version comes with a brushless motor and LiPo compatable speed control). So my shopping list consisted of the following:

Kadet EP 42b: $159
4x Hitech HS-55 micro servos: $55.96 ($13.99 ea.)
2x Thunder Power 1320 Mah 3s LiPo batteries: $110.00 ($55.00 ea.)
1x Spektrum DSM2 AR6100 micro Reciever: $49.00

Adittionally I have a LiPo balancing battery charger that stung me for $129

So for about $400 I now have a pretty nice park flyer/trainer. I was able to assemble it in one evening. The instructions are well writen with great pictures. My club feild is grass and very rough. So I felt that if I could ROG with this plane on my feild, no one would have a problem with this plane. It handled it beautifully. Just a little rudder to keep it straight and I was off and flying in about 8-10 ft. Climb was pretty agressive at a 45 degree accent angle. After reaching a safe altitude I set my trims. One click of aileron and a couple more on the elevator and my little Kadet was flying hands off. Very stable. I have my throws set for a beginner so I can have freinds and family fly the plane. Rolls were a little lethargic but can be accelerated with use of rudder and elevator coupeling. So Naturally I started doing rolling circles with the little plane. Loops, stall turns, Cuban 8's and inverted flight are all fun and possible with it. I was impressed with the stock power plants performance. While not providing unlimited virtical it is still pretty stout (remember this is a trainer). When I forced the plane to stall it fell directly forward and imediately recovered with no more than a 2-3 foot altitude loss. When it came time to land, the little plane came right in at a very slow speed and landed very easily.

I have flown a variety of planes in various different sizes and most notible about the Kadet EP is that is does not have the "twitchy/touchy" feel that a lot of the small planes have. It really flies like a larger trainer. The cost of purchacing and setting up this plane is the only negative about this plane. But if space (either flying space or car space) is an issue then this may be the plane your looking for. I can throw this in my Honda Civic (2 door) with the wings attached and fly it at the local highschool football feild.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I flew a new trainer this week!

Morning, Phil.

How goes it down there in NC? All is well here.. I think..

I am curious about your new trainer. I had a Hobbico Super Star trainer that I bought for a club trainer a year ago. Well, as fate would have it, it had an expiration date on it. So, I am looking for a replacement. Your Kadet EP sounds like a possibility.

What radio did you use in it? .... never mind.. I saw Spektrum, so you already answered that question.

I have the DX7 and was thinking of getting one of their new 6i systems so it would buddy box up with my DX7.

How much does the plane weight (approximate)?

I have a couple of the 1320 LiPO's as well as a couple of 2100 mah LiPo packs.

What brushless motor did it come with?

Thanks.

Dick.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geeze CG-you are asking a lot of questions this morning. Have a cup of Starbuck and chill out. BTW good morning.. It was homemade waffles this morning with sausage patties and warm maple syrup. Suppose to rain today but maybe get a flight in before.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Inquisitive minds want to know!!!

Everything omlet with egg whites, english muffin, and, of course, Starbucks Komoto Dragon coffee!!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I am going to try that Starbuck coffee you keep talking about. I use the "chock full of nuts" not the athletic coffee "jock full of )" Went out this morning and put in a couple of flights. I try to go out most every morning just for a few flights. Heavy dew this morning and it looked like a rooster tail being kicked up on take off. Maybe I should have got the float planes out.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've looked at this plane as possibly a nice relaxing plane to have around or to use as a trainer when friends and relatives express interest in flying.

I've also go tmy eye on the Seniorita EP that is coming out. It looks like a very nice airplane.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Morning, Phil.

How goes it down there in NC? All is well here.. I think..

I am curious about your new trainer. I had a Hobbico Super Star trainer that I bought for a club trainer a year ago. Well, as fate would have it, it had an expiration date on it. So, I am looking for a replacement. Your Kadet EP sounds like a possibility.

What radio did you use in it? .... never mind.. I saw Spektrum, so you already answered that question.

I have the DX7 and was thinking of getting one of their new 6i systems so it would buddy box up with my DX7.

How much does the plane weight (approximate)?

I have a couple of the 1320 LiPO's as well as a couple of 2100 mah LiPo packs.

What brushless motor did it come with?

Thanks.

Dick.
Good evening! I am on night shift this week so I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

The weight is low... Maybey about 24 oz. and the motor is an el' Cheepo out runner maybey about 1.25 inches diameter and an 18 amp speed control. The motor has the following numbers on it: BM-2410-09 So, if that means anything to you It will fly beyond 10 minutes with the 1320 mah batteries. I am flying it with a JR 9303 2.4 Ghz system but I will be using a DX6I for the buddy box, it came with a used EFlight Blade 400 I bought for $260 I will warn you that the DX6I just feels cheep in my hands. It also only uses 4 AA batteries for power and I have not yet explored the possibility of putting rechargable batteries or a 4 cell rechargable pack in it. Look on the classifieds here. I have seen where people are selling DX6I's for $75 for the Tx only. Probably Blade 400 owners that just linked there receivers to there DX7's or better.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I've looked at this plane as possibly a nice relaxing plane to have around or to use as a trainer when friends and relatives express interest in flying.

I've also go tmy eye on the Seniorita EP that is coming out. It looks like a very nice airplane.
The Kadet series are just nice planes. That Seniorita should be very nice. Just bigger.