Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Removing decals

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Removing decals

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing decals

I accidentally poked a hole through the wing of my LT-40 while in the car and ripped the decal and covering underneath clean through in about a four inch gash.

I am using clear packaging tape temporarily to cover the hole but would like to repair it to look original.

I was thinking of going over the wing with the same color, white, aerokote the ARF came with but need to remove the decal first.

Does anyone know once that dries if it can be removed by just wetting it down with windex again? Or are there any other tricks to peel a dry decal off aerokote/monokote?

If it can't be removed I was thinking of just putting a white aerokote patch over the hole, and to use red and black monokote to reproduce the section of decal covered.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Removing decals

I am quite sure there is no way to remove it other than cutting that area out. After so doing just come up with your own design Perhaps checkerboard in that area to make it attractive. tip: be less concerned with how it looks and concentrate on how to fly it.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most ARF's have markings and lettering done in a rather poor quality i.e. thick pressure sensitive stickers but the adhesive is tenacious.

Quite a few times I have been successful in removing these stickers from various ARF's for others and myself. Getting a finger nail or a dull #11 under a corner can usually get it started. If you can drip a little cigarette lighter fluid as you go this sometimes will help.

Some will peel easily however most all will leave a lot of the adhesive as well as the ink and you end up pulling a clear backing piece. For the adhesive and ink residue if lacquer thinner will not cut it then acetone will and neither will harm the film covering. Both those products are 'nasties' so good ventilation and rubber gloves are a must.

i just a few days ago I successfully peeled rather large pair stickers from a vertical surface that said Ultra Stick Lite or some such using this technique.

John
Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get adhesive romover spray, but the decal will be garbage. I would suggest recovering the hole and personalizing it with your own unique decal or sticker. The factory arf stickers are all the same and just too plane. (No pun intended)