Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Production Idea

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Production Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Production Idea

This universal connector idea would work with Futaba 2.4GHz and some of the Spektrum 2.4GHz modules that don't have the "Model match" feature, but not with the other Spektrum/JR radios with "Model Match", as that feature only allows you to bind the receiver with one of the aircraft memory settings in the transmitter.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

No, that is not right. I have a rx right now that I just took out of my ultra stick and put into my newly built killer bee. I put the bee on another channel and bound the rx to that channel.
Now, if I take the rx out of that plane and put it back into my ultra stick, then I will have to re-bind the rx to the radio when I select ultra stick. But the settings (i.e. trim settings, servo reversing, etc) will all still be there because it is stored in the radio.
This would definitely work. One would just have to bind the rx each time he switched planes...
Old 08-18-2008, 12:57 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct 2slow. In fact, as long as you use a computer radio that memorizes the various mixes and trim functions AND you make the proper model selections you don't have to be a BABY and have Model Match. In fact, Model Match wouldn't help anyway because the RX doesn't know which planes it is being moved back and forth between.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

No, that is not right. I have a rx right now that I just took out of my ultra stick and put into my newly built killer bee. I put the bee on another channel and bound the rx to that channel.
Now, if I take the rx out of that plane and put it back into my ultra stick, then I will have to re-bind the rx to the radio when I select ultra stick. But the settings (i.e. trim settings, servo reversing, etc) will all still be there because it is stored in the radio.
This would definitely work. One would just have to bind the rx each time he switched planes...
What I said was correct. Sure you can re-bind the receiver each time to get around this problem, but the receiver will only bind to a single model memory as I described.

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

You are correct 2slow. In fact, as long as you use a computer radio that memorizes the various mixes and trim functions AND you make the proper model selections you don't have to be a BABY and have Model Match. In fact, Model Match wouldn't help anyway because the RX doesn't know which planes it is being moved back and forth between.
Not sure why you find the need for name calling here. There are many Spektrum and JR transmitters that have the Model Match feature which cannot be disabled.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
bruce88123

Just don't care for those that keep insisting that Model Match is God sent.

This over-all concept also would work well for non- 2.4 radios too. THis would avoid the binding/Model Match issue altogether.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
2slow2matter

Well you said it wouldn't work, and that is incorrect. That is my only point. It will work, model match or not. It takes all of about 2 seconds to bind the rx....
Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM
beau0090_99

Guys,
Check out Digikey.com to find parts for industrial connectors. A standard sized pin such as used in the DB15 connector will handle 2 amps at 24 volts. I work in industrial automation with industrial servos and we connect and disconnect these things all the time and have very little problems with them. Generally they are far more sensitive to noise and bad connections than a typical analog connection like in our servos on our planes. You could do this all with just a couple of DB15's (standard density of course), the wires you already have on you servos. Just clip the ends off to connect to the DB15 (male or female), then connect the rest of the wire to the other side of the DB15. Just make sure the planes always have the same gender in them, or else you may find yourself in a bind. Make sure you screw the DB 15's together good before each flight.

Now, who wants to be first to do this?
Curtis
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it really all that tough to unplug 6 servos and a switch? I guess I will hire somebody to push the mouse around it's pad.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 PM
2slow2matter

As posted before, it is not good on the circuitry of the rx to continuously plug and unplug connectors from it. It is far better to leave a pigtail connected to the rx that would plug into the complementary end within each other airplane. It's not a matter of being lazy
Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
HighPlains

I doubt that you would damage a receiver even if you connected and removed each plug 1000 times each. On the other hand, the reliability of the overall airborne system would go down with additional wiring and connectors.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
iron eagel

You are right the more you complicate something the more chance that it will fail.

Although rather than have some one push the mouse around its pad, I want my computer to reliably be able to convert speech into text so I do not have to type....
"Hello computer"...
(which movie is that from?)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
HighPlains

Why that was Scotty of course -Trek IV The Voyage Home
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
iron eagel

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

And he did use the mouse!!!!

Ok, he picked it up and talked into it, but he still used it!!!!!!

Ken
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM
HighPlains

You are right the more you complicate something the more chance that it will fail.
Who said "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler"?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
iron eagel

Wasn't that the guy who also said, "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one"
Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
HighPlains

Yes indeed!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
iron eagel

The keyboard how quaint.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM
iron eagel

Bottom line is, it would be nice to have a reliable way to quickly swap the RX from one plane to another.
Although that would really cut into the number of receivers we would have to buy, and that would not be something that the manufactures really would want to see.
I have a dozen various receivers now (of course they are all 72 Mhz such dated technology as compared to the new 2.4 Ghz units) and for the most part I only use four out of the six or seven channels that I could use on most of them, so just swapping wire is not all that big of a deal for me. I do have a couple of planes where I am going to need even more channels than that so perhaps that will justify getting a not only an upgrade as far as channels, but also going into the 2.4 Ghz setup as well. Another thing I have found that would be nice for our receivers is an optional external antenna for airframes that are composed of carbon fiber or other materials which shield rf signals.
But it would be nicer still if they made a system that you literally just plugged the radio in like a compact flash card for you camera.
I have seen some of the radios where the memory for different airplanes are in a module that can be swapped out giving you a lot more flexibility with the amount of planes you can store in memory, but better yet would be a system that the rx was interchangeable between airframes as easily. I am really thinking about the pigtail and header system for some of the planes that will need more than 4-5 channels to do just this in the near future. The TX I have seen with more than 7 channels are expensive an while I have not really looked into it as yet I would imagine that the Rx as fairly pricey as well, not to mention to upgrade all of my planes to 2.4 would be expensive it would be nice to have the option of swapping out the radio easily between planes as I go through the change over to the new system without having to go out and buy a lot of new RXs....
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
2slow2matter

I think it would be nice as well (obviously). And with something that is produced by a reputable manufacturer, it should be just as reliable as directly connecting the servos to the rx.......
Someone out there has to want to make millions....