Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

threading 2-56 push rod

Hey guys! Would I be able to use the following to thread the non-threaded end of a 2-56 pushrod? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXR765&P=M

Is there any issue with doing this?

thank you!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: threading 2-56 push rod

The threads on a 2-56 pushrod are "pressed" on, rather than cut like that tool would do. A normal 2-56 pushrod is slightly thinner than its threads. When the threads are pressed into the rod, it causes the metal to squeeze out into the threads. If you were to use the tap, the threads would have no teeth. It would work ok if the rod was slightly large to begin with.
    May the Force be With You; and if necessary, be prepared to go to the Hobby Shop and get More Force!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BadSplice is right on the money. Threads in commercially made pushrods are cold rolled into the metal, so that the threads are actually larger than the stock of the rod. If you cut your own threads in rod the clevis that you buy will not fit the threads, as they are sized to fit the larger threads that are rolled.

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BadSplice and RCKen are both correct and the correct term is "Cold Rolling". Cutting threads on the opposite end is a definite end is a definite no-no. You will need a different type of termination there or purchase a rod already threaded on both ends which is available in various lengths.
    3-D is for Monster Movies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your best bet is to solder a threaded end on the rod like these, or solder a clevis to one end. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD887&P=SM

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now that we're on the subject: I tried to solder the clevises that came with my Four Star to the pushrods as instructed in the manual, but the soldering tin wouldn't adhere to the metal properly. Is there a special technique to get the solder to adhere? Should I be using silver solder material?
    Its not a clothes hanger, its an airplane hangar.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For beginners, soldering can be a nightmare at worst, or at best unreliable. For 2-56 rods, I prefer to use these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZC3&P=7

Use a rod that is already threaded at one end with the normal adjustable clevis, then cut the rod with enough extra to make a 90 degree bend. Use a piece of fuel tubing to keep the link snapped onto the rod, and its a pretty bulletproof connection. The best alternative, and most reliable connection is to simply make a Z-bend on one end. Its not difficult with 2-56 rod, and can be done quickly and easily either with a pair of Z-bend plyers, or just use a pair of needle nose plyers.

Brad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: plugin

Now that we're on the subject: I tried to solder the clevises that came with my Four Star to the pushrods as instructed in the manual, but the soldering tin wouldn't adhere to the metal properly. Is there a special technique to get the solder to adhere? Should I be using silver solder material?
    Here's a little tutorial on soldering that MinnFlyer put together a while back:
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=172
    3-D is for Monster Movies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

no need to silver solder...first off you need a soldering iron big enough to heat both the cleavis and the rod at the same time...use some flux as well...make sure that all corrosion preventive, and oil residue is off the rod before soldering.....once the solder has flowed into the cleavis don't move the cleavis until the solder has hardened....
    You can do it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

save any 26 inch bicycle rims you can get, the spokes are the right size for threading your own rods,they are limited to about 15 inches.the LHS i go to has the 256 rod that comes in 36 inch lengths and is thicker so you can make your own threads.
    Be thankful we\'\'re not getting all the government we\'\'re paying for.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As others have pointed out you can't thread the hobby shop rolled rods. To make your own threaded rods see http://www.rodchuck.com/
    Dave Segal