Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question about "real" version of FMS plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question about "real" version of FMS plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Spacemonkey71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about "real" version of FMS plane

I'm still practicing alot on FMS. You can't get too much stick time it could make the difference between "greasing" a landing and making a "greasy landing" [:@] besides, by the time my son goes to bed, it's dark and I haven't put those "light strings" on my planes yet (new idea for a reality show "Pimp My Plane" )

Anyways, my favorite plane to fly in FMS is titled "litefokker". It's basically a Big Stik, but it's got a kind of "mid wing" configuration and a rounded fuselage. Does this plane ACTUALLY exist? I thought I had seen one SOMEWHERE that was DEAD ON exactly like the one in the sim, but I can't remember where or what it was called or anything.

I LOVE flying this plane in the sim and I'd really like to know more about the model it's based on. Does ANYONE have any information on this plane? I KNOW it exists, I remember SEEING it, I just CAN'T remember WHERE OR WHAT IT WAS CALLED!!!!

If anyone has any experience flying the "real" plane, let me know that too!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about "real" version of FMS plane

I have no experience with the FMS simulator but it sounds liek the plane could be similar to a Fokker Eindecker.

Does it look like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30376.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1026397  
Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Top Flite Elder has a similar look but I don't believe it is a scale model of anything specific. I could be wrong.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBSB8&P=ML

I doubt either the Elder or a scale model of the Eindecker would fly exactly like the simulator plane.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Spacemonkey71

I think it IS the Eindecker !

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/eindecker.htm

this looks JUST like it!!!!! It's only $40 too! the only thing is I need a complete electric setup (micro rx, 2 micro servos, charger, 8A ESC, and battery pack.... that's going to run the bill up to ~$130... [:@])
Does anyone have a good source for CHEAP equipment?

THANKS CHUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:11 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Other than stick orientation, I found very little similarity between FMS and reality. The planes I've flown on the simulators were far too forgiving, did not react as quickly as their real-life counterparts, and could be landed much easier on the simulator.

JMHO

Brad
Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Witterings

Be wary of placing too much similarity of FMS to the actual plane, some do have a real likeness like the e-Flight Mini Funtana and Seb Art Katana (taking into consideration there's always going to be a difference between a SIM and the real thing) but others are terrible as you can alter how they respond and feel so it's down to the creators interpretation.
My everday flyer is an Acromaster which I love and yet the FMS one is horrible to fly, the Extreme Flight Extra on there is very realistic for throttle, ailerons and elevator and yet the rudder may as well not be there as it's totally in-effective and if you try and hover and it's virtually impossible as it falls out to the side, the Zoom it's like someone tied a brick to the nose of a very lightweight foamy as the CoG is way too far forward and it's very nose heavy !!!!
Find the right planes and FMS is fantastic, have learnt and practised all 3D on there before trying it at the field including harriers, rolling harriers, blenders KE spin and hovers etc and is great for learning the sticking and still use it often now especially for learning new things !!!!!!
Just as a general rule the E-flight ones are quiet accurate to the extent I think E-Flight may themselves produce and post them as they consider if soemone goes in and flys a plane that feels nice people are likely to buy it so it's good advertising but if it flys like a pig carrying bricks then it'll put people off.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Spacemonkey71

I agree that some simulator planes are WAY off. The "trainer40" plane flies like they ran out of balsa and started using die cast lead! The CG is BAD off on that thing! 1 SECOND @ idle throttle and WHAM! "Lawn Dart" !!!!

btw..... i just put together a "wish list" for the electronics I'd need to buy for this project (micro Rx+micro crystal, 2100mah LiPo battery+charger, 9A ESC, 2 HiTech micro servos)- drum roll, please - TOTAL = $176.97 [X(] [X(] [X(]

You've GOT to be pulling my happy!!! That is INSANE!!!!!!!! [sm=48_48.gif] And THAT'S WITHOUT THE MOTOR!!!! (the motor comes with the kit) $177 ????!?!?!?!?!?! I'm BLOWN AWAY by this ludicrous price!

And this is for a plane that only costs $35 and has 3 channels!!!! [sm=50_50.gif] That's a TOTAL COST OF $212!!!!! FOR A FOAM PLANE!!!! I know this hobby isn't the cheapest to be in, but the price of electronic gear is freaking NUTS! I can build a whole new DURABLE wood/balsa 50"ws, 4 channel plane from ARF to airfield for that price!!! And it WON'T BE FOAM (and the battery most likely will NOT explode like "the LiPo Home Incendiary Device" [:@]) If I use an Rx and battery that I already have, I can do it for a little more than HALF of that!!! AND THAT'S WITH A NEW ENGINE!!

I think I'm going to go throw-up now.....[:'(] [:'(] [:'(]

..... I was just looking for a cheap, fun, "street flyer"....
Old 09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

$212 ready to fly isn't really too bad.

LiPos take a little more care, but they're hardly in the category of "likely to explode".

Balsa is not "durable". In fact, I've seen foamies survive crashes that would have splintered Balsa. Balsa is stiffer and different, but not always better.

And you can use the electronics in your next foamy.

Just like anything else, switching to electric from nitro requires some initial investment. If $200 is too much to invest in a plane, you might want to find a different hobby. And never fly anything you can't afford to crash!

Brad
Old 09-05-2008, 03:07 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Spacemonkey71

btw..... i just put together a "wish list" for the electronics I'd need to buy for this project (micro Rx+micro crystal, 2100mah LiPo battery+charger, 9A ESC, 2 HiTech micro servos)- drum roll, please - TOTAL = $176.97 [X(] [X(] [X(]

You've GOT to be pulling my happy!!! That is INSANE!!!!!!!! [sm=48_48.gif] And THAT'S WITHOUT THE MOTOR!!!! (the motor comes with the kit) $177 ????!?!?!?!?!?! I'm BLOWN AWAY by this ludicrous price!
Keep searching and you'll discover that this is a pretty LOW price to make your plane flyable.

Even with small glow planes, it's fairly NORMAL to drop at least $500.00 in engine, electronics, extras, into the plane before you are through, and this is over and above the ARF price.

And all things considered this stuff is CHEAP compared to how much it would cost if manufactured here.