Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Waddup with glow plug prices!?!?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Waddup with glow plug prices!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Waddup with glow plug prices!?!?

I just looked in my tower talk and noticed the OS type F's are 11.99. I swear I was payin $7.xx a few months ago. Thats a huge jump.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 AM
hungryandbroke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Waddup with glow plug prices!?!?

You can always try the Fox "Miracle" 4 stroke plugs for only $5.49 each.

I use Fox Standard Long in my 2 strokes and they work fine for only $3.99 each.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXG907&P=ML

Or you can always wash windows on the side to keep up with the high prices. I think Dollar General sells squeegees for about a buck!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

About 2 months ago the prices on all of the Hobbico brands went up. It was almost a complete across the board price hike. Look at the cost of OS engines, they all went up approximately $20. All kits went up. ARF's went up. This raise can be attributed to the weal US dollar in the global economy, as well as higher gas prices.

Ken
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
bigedmustafa

Glow plugs contain small amounts of platinum in the filament that is necessary for glow combustion to take place. A rise in glow plug prices was inevitable due to significant price increases in the precious metals markets. Platinum has gone up almost 80% in the last eighteen months.

The good news is that platinum has dropped significantly within the last 60 days or so. I doubt we'll be seeing a corresponding drop in glow plug prices however.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Glow plugs contain small amounts of platinum in the filament that is necessary for glow combustion to take place. A rise in glow plug prices was inevitable due to significant price increases in the precious metals markets. Platinum has gone up almost 80% in the last eighteen months.

The good news is that platinum has dropped significantly within the last 60 days or so. I doubt we'll be seeing a corresponding drop in glow plug prices however.
Take a look in your local "items wanted" ads. You will see several asking for your old catalytic converters. Platnum is the item in your catalytic converter they want to recycle/sell. For some reason the platnum gets hot and glows when exposed to hydrocarbons (I'm sure ther is more to it than that, but...). Thus "cleaning your exhaust emisions or ignighting your glow fuel as the case may be.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A tad bit off subject, but a lot of metal prices are through the roof. And not just precious metals like gold, silver, and platinum. Copper prices are at their highest level ever. The theft of copper wiring has become a huge problem. They're not just stealing scrap or unused copper wiring, but theives are actually ripping out wiring in use to get it. Earlier this year we had a job site I was working on broken in to, and all they stole was the wiring that the electricians were installing as well as the network and telephone wiring I was installing. They got away with 40 boxes of wiring that I was installing (network/telephone), which is 40,000 feet of wiring!!! Luckily the insurance covered it!!

Ken
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: hungryandbroke

You can always try the Fox "Miracle" 4 stroke plugs for only $5.49 each.
Good plug...

I'm glad I stocked up on them 2 years ago... I purchased 40 for 2.79/ea.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty soon they will be stealing the glowplugs out of engines as they are allready using battery powered sawsall to cut out catalytic converters at parking lots at night
Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 PM
beau0090_99

Here in the Mpls area, several vacant houses have had the copper pipes for the natural gas lines ripped out by thieves, and the houses have exploded. You think having your wiring stolen is bad? Yikes!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
ErikElvis

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother is a city cop. He took a fella in that burnt himself up real bad trying to pull live wires out of a building. Im sure it would be cheaper to hire 24hr security on a jobsite then just let these people come and take whatever they want.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ErikElvis

I just looked in my tower talk and noticed the OS type F's are 11.99. I swear I was payin $7.xx a few months ago. Thats a huge jump.
I just paid $13 for one at the LHS.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
hogflyer

There’s always diesel – no glow plugs required……………

Hogflyer