Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Solo !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Solo !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solo !!!

The split is is sort of the opposite of the Immelman.

Roll inverted, then pull up elevator.

In dogfights this is a way to reverse direction and gain airspeed.

The Immelman reverses direction and gains altitude, but, costs airspeed.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: TakingFlight96

Today I went out to the field and flew my 2nd plane, the Phoenix Dolpin .40 and after some adjusting she was flying good. So, anyway today I completed 1 loop, 1 aileron roll, 1 4-point roll, and I went inverted. My dad had mentioned me trying an Immelman Turn sometime. Could anybody explain to me what exactly an Immelman Turn looks like and the steps it takes to complete it ? Thanks.

TF96
Many congratulations, TF96!!

You can watch videos and explanations about those maneuvers at:

http://www.wild-wings.co.uk/

and also at:

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...vers/index.htm

The main thing is to start each maneuver with the wings perfectly horizontal.

The second advice is to throttle back during any descent.

The best wishes!!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 PM
TakingFlight96

Thanks to all you guys for responding. I now see the differences between the Immelman and the Split S. And lnewqban, those were some awesome websites. A uncle of mine used to be into RC for a little bit, but, got out of it for some reason several years ago. Anyway, now that I'm progressing he has this U-Can-Do 3D that hes willing to sell to us, he just has to find the plane and see what condition its in. Is their anything in particular about the U-Can-Do that I should be aware of ? Thanks Again.

TF96
Old 10-14-2008, 02:55 AM
NorfolkSouthern

TakingFlight: You will probably find the U-Can-Do to be easier to fly than the Sig Mayhem. Having tried a friend's 'Do, taking off was easy and strait. Slow flight is a breeze, and U-Can-Do helicopter landings, oh yes you can! The thick airfoil and large control surfaces allow it to keep flying, in very compromised positions. Some people at my field hate 'em (or anything 3D), because "it's not real flying", if you catch my drift. One guy calls my Tango (thick wing, like the 'Do) "the flip-flop plane" [sm=rolleyes.gif]. Yea, whatever floats his boat, and I'll buy a jet when I win the lottery .

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 AM
TakingFlight96

Yeah, a couple guys out at our feild have can-do's and I've been watching to see how they fly and react to different conditions. I currently have a pilot from another plane and I was just wondering what pilots would fit in the .40 and .60 size ones ? I'm hoping to get the needed servos, engine, etc. as some X-mas gifts so, she'll be ready for the next flying season. Thanks.

TF96
Old 10-14-2008, 01:36 PM
jmv

It is great to read this tale of a fine young lady joining our ranks. Way to go TF96! Now we only need to get several thousand of your friends interested and the look of our fields will improve immensely!

I thought you might be interested in this website. It tells the story of Margaret J. Ringenberg one of WWII's WASP pilots who logged over 40,000 hours and flew in an around the world race at age 72!

http://www.girlscanfly.net/

Sounds like you also need one of these.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57884.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1051812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67646.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1051813  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM
jmv

ORIGINAL: TakingFlight96
my dad named me after the P-40 Warhawks Allison v12 engine
TF96
Are you named Warkhawks or Allison? Just kidding! My sister's name is Allyson and my grandfather's name was Allison, so welcome aboard Allison you've got a great name. Your father has to be the most creative parent ever because that is just about the coolest story of the origin of a person's name that I've ever heard. And it just makes me happy somehow to know that somehow, somewhere there is a young lady who typed the words P-40 Warhawks Allison v12 engine and knows what they mean!

John
Old 10-14-2008, 04:41 PM
TakingFlight96

Thanks jmv. That was an awesome story to read and is very inspiring. I was surprised to hear of the many different kinds of airplanes she flew (I was especially surprised when it said she flew AT-6 Texans and the B-24s ; mostly because I'am a diehard warbird fanatic, ever since I was a little girl, I even remember seeing a picture of me wearing a shirt with a Warhawk on it when I was about 3 or 4) Hopefully, I'll get to build a warbird one day and see her take to the air. This year I went up to Oshkosh for the first time and it brought tears to my eyes to see a Warhawk and hear those Allisons fire up. As for those shirts/sweatshirts those were pretty cool, though I'm not liking the pink. Its a stereotype that all girls like pink - well, I like Blue and Silver [8D] About the U-Can-Do's mentioned earlier - My uncle just called not even 5 minutes ago ; so, its a .60 size, its in decent shape, just a small hole in the covering and the aileron is split but, not yet glued in. We called up a good friend of ours from out at the field who has the same one and is helping us out as far as what engine, servos, etc. to use. Thanks Again to all of you.

TF96
Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 PM
jmv

You're welcome TF96. Great observation about pink. I'll keep that in mind. I woman I used to work with always tried to get the guys to wear pink dress shirts. She even had a article from a fashion magazine that said Pink was the new Black for men!

Here are a couple of links you might like. You're right...most of it is pink, but they do have some stuff that is different colors.

http://www.maam.org/php/xcart/Chicks...id-16-p-1.html
http://www.girlsflytoo.com/catalog/i...9abd1e677c9d92
http://www.modelaircraft.org/shopama...px?id=everyone

Also, if you are interested in a career as a pilot here a great group...goes all the way back to Amelia Earhart.
http://www.ninety-nines.org/

A little more info:
http://www.wai.org/education/index.cfm
http://www.generatelift.org/Calendar.html

Or why not learn to fly those warbirds yourself some day? Watch this video as a female pilot puts the number 6 USAF Thunderbird through its paces
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVScqXfgo0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlK4v...eature=related
Old 10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
TakingFlight96

jmv,

Thank you very much for posting all those links, they have really opened my eyes and inspired me. This year when I went up to Oshkosh the theme was "Women in Aviation" I now think back and realize how far I've come in the hobby of RC ; I mean I remember the first time I came out to the field w/ my plane and a buddy cord with my dad and as I was going through pre-flight checks I heard some not so nice remarks and some laughs. Here Iam today flying my 2nd plane, learning aerobatics, building an ARF, and on top of that I still am progressing. People at the field are very shocked by some of the things I say and the knowledge I have. Before I just kinda minded my own business and didn't have a clue about what the other guys were saying and now I can join in with the rest of them and talk about everything from the latest ARF to engine tuning. Thanks Again to you all.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know TF96,
About 10-12 years ago I showed up at the flying field and there was a lady there, her name was chris, what I didn't know was that she flew, and I'll tell you what, she could out-fly any guy at that field! I watched her chase another pilot that was into pattern and speed planes with her Top Flite P-39 aircobra, while they were doing laps he would do a high speed low pass, she would too, but she would also do a touch-n-go at about 70-80 MPH, the most memorable thing is one time it actually rolled the tire off the rim and flipped. The only words out of her mouth were " I'll be back in the air in 5 minutes! ", that right there made me realize that this hobby will never be monotoned, later that month I was introduced to the Lady Hawks, a group of mainly wives that flew R/C, and what a fun group they were, I never saw so much politness on the runway, I could actually hear them say I'm sorry, go ahead and take the landing, I'll do a go around. I've never heard that from any person at the field ever until they showed up and flew. Keep to it and hopefully someday you'll show up the senior fliers at your field! We're all proud of you and hope you stick with it, it's a great way to spend time with friends and your family.

Best of luck,
Ray.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM
TakingFlight96

Thats a cool story ! I mean I've seen some wives out at the field, I mean their out their reading their book or whatever and ocassionally look up and dont seem to give a crap ; I think that its so cool to hear of a group of wives really get involved. My dad actually makes a joke when Im done flying that I'm "starting to make him look bad" My dad actually tells me that I fly as good or better than some guys out at the field. I guess thats how some people are - some people like flying more than building or building more than flying - Then theirs the people like me who like both equally. Although I'm gonna admit I may fly better than some older gentlemen but, they put my building to shame.

TF
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't sweat it, your off to a great start, I encourage anyone to build, it's not hard to do, just pick a simple design, like the 4*40 or 60 planes and enjoy the process, you'll actually gain more knowledge of how planes work and how to fix them if you start doing kits instead of ARFs. Don't let anyone hold you back from doing what you want and never let anyone tell you what your limits are, your the only one who decides that.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 AM
TakingFlight96

I actually was building a Guilllows P-40 Warhawk for awhile because I thought it would give me a real feel for building which I wanted to do in the future. But, that thing frustrated me more than anything ; those small pieces and all the glue and everything else. I have the fuselage, fin, and wing done and ready to cover but, that dang stabilizer. I want to build a larger kit as a winter project, but, my dads got the bench this winter, hes building a Top Flite P-51 Mustang Kit. Right now I'm building a U-Can-Do .60 ARF for next season by myself w/ supervision from my dad thats going to be my 3rd plane. Those were wise words their at the end and those are words I've lived by since I've started flying.

TF96