Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

worn out starter

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

worn out starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
rlipsett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worn out starter

I know this is not a begginer question but I see no read forum for this question. I have been using a tower hobbies starter for my airplanes for several years until all of a sudden it does not work anymore. It seems that I have worn down the brushes to the point that they have fallen out of there holders and fallen off the commutator. I am wondering if anyone would know where to purchase replacement brushes for the motor and what exactly I am asking for. I ask this last part in case someone tells me to buy brushes that are not made for this motor but can be used instead.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: worn out starter

Hobbico has a representative that is here on RCU to handle questions about their products. I have directed his attention to your question. He should get back to you soon with advice on this situation. His name is Bill Baxter and his RCU username is Bax

Ken
Old 10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Brushes for the Tower starter are not available as separate items.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Bill

Ken
Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: rlipsett

I know this is not a begginer question but I see no read forum for this question. I have been using a tower hobbies starter for my airplanes for several years until all of a sudden it does not work anymore. It seems that I have worn down the brushes to the point that they have fallen out of there holders and fallen off the commutator. I am wondering if anyone would know where to purchase replacement brushes for the motor and what exactly I am asking for. I ask this last part in case someone tells me to buy brushes that are not made for this motor but can be used instead.
Rob,
This may be useful.
I have also ground down car starter brushes.
You may want to stop by a place called Toolhaus in middleboro on rt 28, they may have something that will work.
If you get no joy I will talk to you at the club meeting tonight.

Paul

http://www.repcoinc.com/carbon_brush.../reference.asp
Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the brushes in my Hobby Shack starter with the brushes from a Skill saw. I had to sand off the sides a little but they fit really well. Cost was about $10.00.

Dru.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 PM
carrellh

A new "deluxe" starter is $19 and a "heavy duty" is $28 at Tower, so, don't spend a lot of money or effort on the old one.

I suspect the electric motors they use are common items, but, they're not going to make it easy for you to find out what it is. If you can take the motor, and what's left of the brush, to a parts supplier; they might be able to match it up. If the parts supplier just says "brand and model number please," you will know you're sunk.