Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First bipe?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First bipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First bipe?

The Sig Sundancer [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCA0&P=0[/link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCA0&P=0 is really nice 40 size Bipe. A guy at our club has one with a Saito 70 on it and it really is a pleasure to fly, small, nimble, acrobatic, no bad stall characteristics. I have an older ACE 4-60 Bipe that is also a great flyer (60-2s or 60-904s) if you can find one, they are getting harder to locate, just reinforce the top wing mounting system (don't ask how I know). DG
Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies, I am trying to spread the expense out over a while, I also want to get into kit and or scratch building, and I know sig kits are good kits. I am prety sure that I am going to go with the hog, if Ken likes them, then I can't go toooooo wrong . I think you guys have convinced me on th Magnum for power plant fo it.

Jon
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I saw a Hog at one of the hobby shops around my area, priced at $140.00. I almost jumped on it, but I just couldn't afford it, and my space would be very limited. Among the things I like about the kit, though, would be that there is no cowl to fuss with and it's also laser cut. This would add considerably to the ease of building, having to worry less about the accuracy of the fit and finish. But alas, prices are going up and Tower has it for $160.00. With that in mind, I feel the need to make a quick decision before inflation really takes hold.

Here's what I found: Tower has their Great Planes Ultimate 40 available in a combo for $240.00. Having studied a few other threads, the .46 AX it comes with should provide adequate power. I could swap the 55 AX that's currently on my Tango should it prove necessary. Adding a needed heat gun, the total would be just slightly over $250.00, then bringing it down to just over $200.00 with their preferred discount. This and their Easy Pay plan would put the bipe within reach of my budget. I inquired on another thread, and got a response from Minn Flyer. He stated that with enough low-wing experience, along with the time spent on the Tango, the Ultimate should not pose a problem, and that it is very stable. I am leaning this direction for the most part, due to affordability. I hope this would be the right decision for my circumstance. I will keep updates on the progress.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 AM
mohr_dave
My Feedback: (6)

I have to agree with bdtsr that the ACE is a nice flying bipe. I have a 4-40 that I picked up some time ago, there's a video of it flying with an electric set-up in the videos section. It is powered with a Magnum 61 (yes, it's a little overkill but this one was glassed).

Everyone has great ideas on what to use for your bipe but I haven't seen any questions on "how do you like to fly?". Choosing an airplane to fly really depends on your flying style. Someone suggested an Ultimate and unless you are pretty stable and into doing "tricks" it's not a good choice. For stable flying, look at the planes that are not short-coupled (those that have a longer tail length).

One of the other aspects to look at and question is what does it take to set-up at the field, or can it fit in the back of your car without having to be taken apart? I've had friends that have given up on bipes because they took so long to put together at the field. There are mods that can be made with ball sockets but that's another story.

Personally, if you are looking for a "nice" flying plane without too much hassle, the Ace (4 or 6-40), Hog Bipe or Stearman are good starts. If you want to scratch build there are plenty of planes out there, I think I have five or six bipe plans myself.

Whatever you decide, hopefully you'll do a thread on her!

Dave
Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

Hi, I just picked up a simple Ultimate Bipe from an estate. It has the instructions for the foam wings but no construction instructions for the fuse and final assembly. Can anyone help me out with a copy? My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thanks!