Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

JUST GOT FIrst plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

JUST GOT FIrst plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUST GOT FIrst plane

Hey everyone just wanted to say hey and that I will be in the forums a bit more than I usually am. UPS just dropped off my AVISTAR RTF.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JUST GOT FIrst plane

Cool, are you going to try and have it flight ready by the weekend?

Nothing beats a first airplane.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Igotntc3andrevo

Hey everyone just wanted to say hey and that I will be in the forums a bit more than I usually am. UPS just dropped off my AVISTAR RTF.
CONGRATS!!!!
You'll love the Avistar
Check all the throws and the CG then eye ball everything from a few feet away,
After a few flights you can adjust the throws to MAX.
I did that on mine and i'm also still using the same engine.
I removed that big nose wheel and converted the bird to a tail dragger
HAVE FUN!!
Vegas/
Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Great!!!!!! Make sure you keep us updated on your progress as you train. And above all else, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask us here. We're more than happy to help. That's what we're here for!!!

Ken
Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

THANKS ALOT FELLAS ....man this thing is beautiful. IT s HUGE....yes i am trying to have it flight ready by the weekend the problem is I got it off eBay (brand new so they said) and it is no issues with the plane or parts at all its one thing though its missing the manual. [:@] so all the fight equipment and what stuff i need i basically have to find out for myself. I was surprised to see that the radio has rechargeable batteries and came with a charger. (will upgrade transmitter once i learn how to fly a bit.

One question I have is how do i break this baby in? i am familiar with nitro cars but planes is foreign to me
Old 10-31-2008, 03:09 AM
Whirley Bird

THANKS ALOT FELLAS ....man this thing is beautiful. IT s HUGE....yes i am trying to have it flight ready by the weekend the problem is I got it off eBay (brand new so they said) and it is no issues with the plane or parts at all its one thing though its missing the manual. [:@] so all the fight equipment and what stuff i need i basically have to find out for myself. I was surprised to see that the radio has rechargeable batteries and came with a charger. (will upgrade transmitter once i learn how to fly a bit.

One question I have is how do i break this baby in? i am familiar with nitro cars but planes is foreign to me
You should have a charger with 2 different plugs so you can charge the battery in the plane and transmitter at the same time.
A couple of extra props,and some spare glow plugs,a small tote box and fuel.
The pictures show the tote box I built from a TH kit and I sanded, stained and gave it several coast of polyurethane
It has both the electric and hand crank pump and I guess with the starter,battery,power panel and loaded with more spare parts then I really need,I have about $125.00 invested
Not bad at all and I use it for all 4 trainers I have.
As far as breaking in the engine on that bird all you have to do is taxie it around on a smooth paved area untilyou run a tank of fuel through it.
Then refill and and make the carb adjustments.
This TH link will let you download the manual for that plane
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMU53**&P=7
Vegas/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11689.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1062723  
Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! here are the direct links to the manual:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/hca/hcaa16-manual.pdf
http://www.hobbico.com/techsupport/hcaa16tech.html

And I know you're anxious to get it done by the weekend, but take your time. It's better to do it right than to rush through it.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM
TideFlyer

You DO have an instructor lined up, don`t you? Just didn`t see where you mentioned it.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The very most important thing you should do now before you ever even run the engine is find a 'mentor' I hesitate to use the word instructor because so many will rebel at the sound of that one and this mentor will do so much more to safely guide you along the path to success. They are everywhere and you only really need to just ask.

John
Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

You may find your nitro cars collecting dust now. Mine are, with them getting the occasional dust off.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

HAH lol thanks alot guys...yes I know that I am going to need an instructor that is for sure. Havent got one lined up yet, I will probably run that tank of fuel through it first and once i get ready to even think of taking flight I will go to the local airfield (i have a local hobbyshop not far) which i will be going to get all my equipment it looks like I will be able to make out less than 125 for all the equipment because they have a TON of used parts. Im located in champaign IL as of now. (yes i know where tower is located).

Brett yes i know lol I hear once you hit the air you never land back on the ground but I dont know i Drag race and have a bunch of friends that will keep me there.

OK thanks alot fellas for the instruction manuals, I still want the person to send me the ones that came with it just because of the principle, they might have left something else out you never know.

will keep you all updated and I am also going to put up photos once the bird has been put together.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

OK everyone I went and purchased a good amount of the field equipment today as soon as i get off work I will be assembling the items and getting ready pics coming soon.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would still suggest that you hold off on running the engine untill you find that mentor. I do realize that you have RC car experiance but these engines are not run in the same way and its easy to damage an engine if you treat it like a car, another factor airplanes engines are far more dangerous than the cars. Its best you get first an idea of good procedures from your mentor.

On your field equipment sounds great but agine I would suggest you hold off buying everything before you connect with that mentor. He very well may be able to save you money with the right purchases. Its easy when you are new to spend a ton of money for field equipment that you may well not need or the wrong kind.

John
Old 10-31-2008, 04:27 PM
mesaflyer

HAH lol thanks alot guys...yes I know that I am going to need an instructor that is for sure. Havent got one lined up yet, I will probably run that tank of fuel through it first and once i get ready to even think of taking flight I will go to the local airfield (i have a local hobbyshop not far) which i will be going to get all my equipment it looks like I will be able to make out less than 125 for all the equipment because they have a TON of used parts. Im located in champaign IL as of now. (yes i know where tower is located).

Brett yes i know lol I hear once you hit the air you never land back on the ground but I dont know i Drag race and have a bunch of friends that will keep me there.

OK thanks alot fellas for the instruction manuals, I still want the person to send me the ones that came with it just because of the principle, they might have left something else out you never know.

will keep you all updated and I am also going to put up photos once the bird has been put together.
I went from cars to planes as well. Cars haven't seen the light of day in over a year. About that plane engine....I'm sure you know this, but the biggest difference is that when the car engine runs out of gas, the car just stops. I don't need to tell you about what happens to the plane.[X(]

You just might want to get somebody to help you with the plane engine for the first couple of tanks. Just a thought.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:42 AM
NorfolkSouthern

About that plane engine....I'm sure you know this, but the biggest difference is that when the car engine runs out of gas, the car just stops. I don't need to tell you about what happens to the plane.[X(]

You just might want to get somebody to help you with the plane engine for the first couple of tanks. Just a thought.
And that's one reason a buddy box and instructor are such good ideas.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Ok guys i wont run in the engine until i find a mentor....as for my equipment I already purchased it as i said i got a great deal on the items i purchased i spent 100 dollars and got the panel, great planes master caddy, torque master, fuel pump, 7 ft of fuel line attachments for the cap to the fuel bottle and glow starter.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Hey everyone to update everyone on my progress I visited the club near my apt and IT IS REALLY nice there is a hanger and literally a real strip its the champaign county model club ( i think) and i talked to the president I will be practicing with them sometime in December and having them train me. then joining the club
Old 11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
gws_003

Hey everyone to update everyone on my progress I visited the club near my apt and IT IS REALLY nice there is a hanger and literally a real strip its the champaign county model club ( i think) and i talked to the president I will be practicing with them sometime in December and having them train me. then joining the club
Yea, I just joined a club with really great guys,,,definately the way to go! I taught myself with foamies HZ SC,but moving up to glow is way more fun!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11704.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1063684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23575.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1063685  
Old 11-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: gws_003

Yea, I just joined a club with really great guys,,,definately the way to go! I taught myself with foamies HZ SC,but moving up to glow is way more fun!!
I noticed something different on your plane.
The front of the muffler has a square nose.
Mine has a rounded front
Vegas/
Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: Whirley Bird

Mine has a rounded front
Vegas/
That's the muffler that comes with the OS .46 AX engine,,,the AX is smaller body with more power And my plane is a Tower Hobbies 40 ARF.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:25 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

ok cool here is a picture of my gear...(plane is still in the box)

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

gw3 that tower looks great...nice and CLEAN.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Ryan I.
My Feedback: (4)

That tower hobbies trainer brings back memories Mine lasted alot of years and a lot of flights, getting beat up and moved around when I was in college. I must have damaged the wing at somepoint as it folded in on me last year. You'll have fun with that plane; they fly inverted very well
Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Whirley Bird

Mine has a rounded front
Vegas/
That's the muffler that comes with the OS .46 AX engine,,,the AX is smaller body with more power And my plane is a Tower Hobbies 40 ARF.
HI bILL,
I THINK YOU SAID YOU GOT THE P[LANE ON EBAY?
IT LOOKS VERY WELL PACKED AND THE SELLER WENT GOOD ON THE LARGE BUBBLE WRAP.
OP's Had caps on.
Let us know when you fly it.
I took mine out late today when the winds calmed down.
Five years now on the same engine
Also it's a tail dragger now so I removed some drag by removing that big nose wheel.
Vegas./
Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 PM
gws_003

Mine has a rounded front
Vegas/
HI bILL,
I THINK YOU SAID YOU GOT THE P[LANE ON EBAY?
IT LOOKS VERY WELL PACKED AND THE SELLER WENT GOOD ON THE LARGE BUBBLE WRAP.
OP's Had caps on.
Let us know when you fly it.
I took mine out late today when the winds calmed down.
Five years now on the same engine
Also it's a tail dragger now so I removed some drag by removing that big nose wheel.
Vegas./
That was Igotntc3andrevo that bought his off ebay , it's an Avistar, also a very good plane. Mine came from Tower Hobbies. I've flown mine a few times, buddy box. But my radio started messing up, and I had to send it in. A Spektrum Dx6i[&o]
Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
gws_003

Looks like you got a real good deal on the plane, good luck,you'll have fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.