Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Re-use radio equip from RTF?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Re-use radio equip from RTF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:44 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re-use radio equip from RTF?

Ailerons are not a big deal to learn. If you have used a 3 channel, you have the basics down for turning and the use of the elevator to maintain altitude and finishing the turn. If you have a radio with dual rates, use the low rate setting and minimize your throws on the ailerons. Ailerons will roll the plane inverted if you over control, that is when things get exciting, usually ending up in a crash for a newby. Just take it easy for the first few flights, half throttle once your airborn should be plenty of speed, and maintain a 3 mistakes high alitude. If you get in trouble and your high enough, pull back to idle (gives you more time to correct), level the wings and then level the plane. If any of your buddies are capable flyers you could invest in a buddy cord for training. You should do fine! DG
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
shanet75
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the response. We are all in the same boat and are all quite new at this. We try to help eachother out, but none of us are in any shape to try to train eachother w/a buddy line. It's a good thing working on the planes is almost as much fun as flying them....I have a feeling I'll be having to do some fixing here and there. The radio I have is a cheapo that comes with the tower trainer. A futaba 4 channel. Don't think it has any bells or whistles. I'll just go easy and steady on the sticks and keep things slow.....
Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: shanet75

Thanks for the response. We are all in the same boat and are all quite new at this. We try to help eachother out, but none of us are in any shape to try to train eachother w/a buddy line. It's a good thing working on the planes is almost as much fun as flying them....I have a feeling I'll be having to do some fixing here and there. The radio I have is a cheapo that comes with the tower trainer. A futaba 4 channel. Don't think it has any bells or whistles. I'll just go easy and steady on the sticks and keep things slow.....

JUst a little tip.
On the 4 CH transmitters when you set the controls up on the plane make sure the sliders on the transmitter are centered.
Thats all I use on three of my trainers when landing.
To flare out and cut power I just use the sliders.
On my new big MK III I think the pulsating fine adjustment will be to slow.
I learned to fly myself lomg ago and kept the plane high and that gave me room and time to get a feel for the controls.
Have fun.
Vegas/
Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Shanet75,
When I switched from 3channel to 4channel planes, I did not have any instructor help or simulator available and did not know about Rcuniverse. But I did figure out that I could switch the servo leads on the rx and have my ailerons on the left and my rudder and elevator on the right just like the Super cub. This let me fly the way I was used to flying and experiment with the ailerons with my left hand once I was at a comfortable altitude. I did this for a month or two until I was comfortable with the plane and using the ailerons. Then I switched rudder back to the left stick and ailerons on the right. The main problem I had with doing this was on the ground. When the rudder is on the right you get used to steering on the ground with the right stick. When you put the rudder back on the left stick, you still do most of your flying with the right stick, but have to get used to steering with the left stick once you are on the ground. May not work for everyone to do this, but it did for me.