Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Indisputable beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Indisputable beginner

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Panhandler80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indisputable beginner

I checked out the suggested planes for beginners. What I want to know is how difficult these things actually are. I have no access to training, nor do i have any excess of cash. is there something fun out there that's fairly tough and easy to learn without help? Not that they equate, but certain dynamics of sailing and flying do correspond. I grew up sailing dinghy classes and fly several HP kites and foils. I imagine i'd pick up the rc plane thing easier than many starters. not trying to be big headed here. obviously i am aware that i need to learn things before diving in, that's why i'm on here. i'd like to spend time w/remote controls. Cars don't interest me that much and planes seem to offer a bit more than boats do.

you all probably despise people like me, but i'm curious about two bottom lines. How much investmet (money and time-wise) would you all estimate for a plane that a beginner can have fun with once or twice a mont in a field outside DC with.

what about laws? i'm sure this has been posted previously but i couldn't find any threads regarding the legality of flying rc planes. Can you fly one of these things wherever there is room? That would be nice, but i tend to doubt that being the case.

In advance i thank yall and have a great day doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

ps- if any of you all need tips or suggestions on saltwater fishing pretty much anywhere in FL let me know. I just might be able to help ya out.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Panhandler80

i'm thinking gas here. thanks everyone
Old 05-26-2003, 11:41 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Well, there are places designated, and those are the places to fly such things as they can be dangerous, but as far as the equipment goes, I am in a club in N. Virginia but there is no club trainer or anything. A new person usually has to have their own equipment. The start up can cost anywhere from a few hundred to (in my case) a little over a thousand!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:42 PM
pinball-RCU

If you don't mind the asking, how old (roughly) are you? How willing are you to practice on a computer simulator?

As far as sailing, I think it will help, but only a little. You will be aware of the wind, and its speed and direction, which I was not when I was learning. That will help when flying in the wind, but to start, you probably won't want to fly in much wind anyway.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Mike Buckley

Your looking at roughly $500 for a basic setup, for gas consider spending quite a bit more... That $500 doesn't include all the other gizomos that make your flying experience, in my opinion, more enjoyable.

That will get you a basic 4 channel transmitter, a basic trainer and a basic engine.

Call me crazy but I would say a .40 sized trainer is the best place to start. I would recommend the SIg Kadet LT-40 myself.

In terms of relating your sailing and kiting experience, I'm sorry to say that I think they will offer you very little edge while starting (just my opinion though).

I terms of durability most trainers are designed to take some abuse based on the nature of what they are intent for... to learn. That said, no plane will handling all damage a student can throw at it. The only plane I've seen that might come close is the Aircore Trainer. Then again it flies like a brick and I think there tough to find.

Finally, different people learn at diferent speeds, but I would think that you'll need more then a couple of days a month to learn. Also, if you're gonna teach yourself (which I don't think I'm alone in saying, will be very tough to do) please do it away from crowded areas.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:55 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm sure there are many clubs/places around the DC area that can help you out.

I think $500 is a little steep for getting started. More like $300 to $350.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:38 AM
BigSTIK40flier

you can get started with about 350$ get the H9 alpha good trainer and PLEASE go find a hobby shop cuz there will at least be one flyer there that will be willing to train youif you dont you WILL crash trust me 2 mintues in the air i crashed landing when i was new
Old 05-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Woodsy

"I have no access to training, nor do i have any excess of cash."

your kidding right, you cant get training AND you cant aford to crash.....

You sound almost like SPAD was made for you having said that your taking the hard road atempting this on your own.

sailing has no bearing at all on flying RC planes, yes the principals of flight are similar but thats where it ends.

Rc cars can help with left/right orientation but thats where it ends

there may be no clubs localy but you should join one and pay your insurance so you are covered.

other than that buy your rc gear and spend a LOT of time on simulators that support TX interface.

Good luck and ...... more luck
Old 05-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Panhandler80

pinball - i am 22, and yeah, i'd be willing to practice on a computer.

i'm just looking for any suggestions here. as far as the sailiing/kite flying goes, i wasnt trying to say that i consider myself some sort of whiz and would be able to master you all's hobby in an hour or two. i was just wondering if it would help. i follow through completely with most projects, i just usually spend at least a month researching and figuring out the best way to initiate them. this is the beginning of that process

i got on that freeware simulator. wow! i can definitely see how easy it would be to fly that sucker into a tree or terra firma.

what is the insurance you speak of? there are co.s that provide rc plane insurance? i figured if you had a $1,000 plane or something you'd have that under a homeowner's plan or something. what type of premium are you talking about for a 400 plane?

thanks and any input is welcome
Old 05-27-2003, 01:00 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

When you join the AMA , some of your dues goes toward liability insurance. Most clubs require this membership/coverage before you can fly at their facilities.
I'm betting that there's a club near you with a field and instructors willing to help you.
Flying these things is harder than it looks for a beginner, regardless of previous related experience (including simulator time).
Best advice -- find that club, go meet the guys. See what they recommend for getting started. That may not be the ONLY way, but it's likely the best way to start.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:07 PM
Dazzler_BE

Originally posted by BigSTIK40flier
if you dont you WILL crash trust me 2 mintues in the air i crashed landing when i was new

Wow, that makes me and my best friend naturals or what ?

we started out with a trainer 2 years ago, never went to any club, never talked to any (other-experienced) flier, we just decided to by a plane to spent a rainy weekend, and decided to put it in the air 2 weeks later. We both had several flight & landings that afternoon, before we finally crash landed, braking a prop en the landing gear.

Now, 2 years later, we still have that trainer, it is still flying, we bought a second trainer a month after the first one so we could fly simultanious, it's still flying as well, and we both bought a new plane this season the move a step further into the hobby with a GP Easy Sport

But I do have to admit... we had several crashes, quiet some repairs, and undoubtfully a longer learning curve.... nevertheless, I recently met a guy that is into RC competition, and he told us our flying was actually quiet good. But I do wish I had met him 2 years earlier, as he would have been a great help in making us learn faster...
Old 05-27-2003, 02:30 PM
WadeH

Originally posted by Panhandler80
pinball - i am 22, and yeah, i'd be willing to practice on a computer.

<snip>

as far as the sailiing/kite flying goes...

<snip>

i was just wondering if it would help.
I have sailed for many more years than I've flown R/C. The hard skills required for the two activities are completely different.

The big intangible is that sailing teaches you to "feel" what the machine is doing. With sailing, it's you working with the machine, working with the elements, all together. In my case, my sailboat is too heavy to "manhandle", so I have to consider the effect that I want, and then get the boat, the wind, and the water to do the work for me.

I've been teaching R/C flying for about 8 years now, and I've seen people who pick it up right away, and I've seen people who take much longer. I've seen people give up. In the end, the people who do the best, are the ones that "get" how their control inputs affect the plane as a whole. There are other folks that learn to fly through practice and procedure (ie. "If I want to turn left, I make these movements on the stick..."). The latter group takes longer to learn, and I believe that the difference might just be "machine empathy."

Beyond that, I do have a few comments about your intention to teach yourself to fly R/C. You are going to crash - probably a lot. You should consider spending time on an R/C flight simulator and get very good at it before you try a real R/C plane. Also, depending on how much you like to build and repair, you should consider starting with something like a SPAD or a Duraplane, etc.

Finally, please make sure that you start out in a place where there are NO people or property in the vicinity. An R/C plane can do considerable damage it if hits a person or a car or a house, etc.

I would strongly recommend that you find a club nearby and see if you can find someone willing to take you up on a buddy box. Even if you have to drive a few hundred miles, it would be a day well spent to get some time on the sticks with an experienced pilot. I didn't notice where you are at, but if you are in the Pacific Northwest, I'm sure we could get you up for an introductory flight at our club.

Thank you,
-Wade
Old 05-27-2003, 06:24 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out the SPAD forum and heres what you can get.....CHEAP

Get some guttering at the local hardware store. $3 - $6
Beg for some old beer or pop signs at the local supermarket. FREE
(one sign can make one or two planes) (I like the Bud Girls and how they affect other flyers)
Rubberbands, 1/4 dowels, screws, $10
Propane Torch. $9
CA glue. $10
Fuel. $14
Fuel bulb $10
Glow Starter $12
Chicken stick (free if you make it)
Cheap .40 engine (new) $60 (used) $25
Cheap used 4 channel radio - $80 (new) $120

You can get a simulator off e-bay for $15

Build a couple disposable SPADs and practice.

I live in rural Kansas and have found SPAD flyers, so you should not have a problem finding guys to get you started in Virginia.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Ghostbear

Default Club

I am in the process of moving to No Va. I know this is one local club. I emailed them and they seemed pretty friendly.

www.lcaa.org its out near Leesburg.

I don't think anyone would recommend trying to fly gas anywhere in the DC Metro area except at an approved flying field.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:31 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Other NV Clubs

The Northern Virginia club http://1nvrc.com/ has an RC auction twice a year. You may be able to pick up some reasonable equipment there. Several other clubs have flea markets in the greater DC area. Most are over however ultill the fall. The swap forums here at RC Universe have a wealth of items for sale. There is a club in Haymarket just off interstate 66 and another in Bealeton (FARM club)

By the time you get a plane and join the AMA and a club $500.00 is about where you will be. Good luck.

EXCAP232
Old 05-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Montague

Where in NoVa are you moving to? LCAA and NVRC have already been mentioned. There is another club out in PW county, PWCRC. And there are a lot of clubs in MD if you are near the border as well.

I'll say this, if you are moving to NoVA, there really aren't any areas out there where it is safe to fly a gas trainer that will allow it that doesn't already have a club there . The clubs that are in the area are some of the largest in the country for a reason, there is a scarcity of flying sites in this greater DC area. And, personally, the last thing I want to see on Channel 7 news is a story about someone getting killed in a NoVA suburb. It will make it that much harder for those of us in this area to keep our fields or find new ones. So, please, if you are going gas, check out the local clubs first.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:12 PM
FLYING MOUNTIE

You can learn on your own but it is not recomended. The problem being safety for one and if you have a crash soon into it you may get discouraged and lose interest. If you can't find someone to help then I agree with the former comment on getting a good simulator that will hook up to your transmitter so you can at least get a good feel for it. I am sure everyone will agree that taking the plane off is relatively easy. It's getting it back down in one piece thats the hard part. You must have a club in your area, go there and don't be afraid to ask for help. As far as your first investment you may be able to find a good used trainer, but be carefull as you don't really know what your looking for get advice even if you have to use this site. Your insurance is a very important factor. In the US you have AMA and in Canada we have MAAC. The size of the plane as you mentioned before does not matter (up to the allowed weight ) your premmium is the same depending on age. I strongly urge you to get this insurance before you turn a prop. I hope ypu can find someone there and if you do I'll bet he /she does'nt hesitate to help. Good luck!!! my 2 cents.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Panhandler80

i sure appreciate it. $500 start up cost is about what i had decided will be necessary. i know it's a hobby and the nature of all hobbies is to fix/upgrade/throw money into a bottomless pit. that initial check that i've got to cut probably will be around 500 i guess.

i'm living in tysons corner right now, but will be moving in aug to either old town area or clarendon in arlington.

these clubs...? do people go out there in the afternoon at all? my weekends are pretty much consumed with sailing. i was thinking that the afternoons after work might be a nice laid back time on a field whens it's less crowded and more likely to get help from some people.

these "buddy boxes" yall talk about. i understand WHAT they do, but not HOW. can anyone's controller get on my frequency and fly the plane? or is it some special controller that has the option of doing this. do individuals own these or clubs?

regardless of how much help i'm able to find, i'd like to get pretty well versed on a simulator. what program would you all recomend? where should i look for one, compUSA type deal, ebay?

you can hook your controller up to the simulation program huh? interesting. USB connection? where do i get the wire?

i wouldn't consider flying a plane (if i do get one) any where near an area that's not completely suitable, don't worry. these clubs definitely seem to be the way to go even if i were in the plains of KS, living in N. VA makes it a must.

i've been toying with this for the past couple weeks or so. i think i'm getting close to diving in.

i now know about insurance (is that liability only?), is there any type of warranty on say the controller from any companies?

thanks for help everyone, this is all pretty new, but exciting. any and all input is welcomed
Old 05-29-2003, 01:59 AM
FLYING MOUNTIE

You have a better outlook already by the sound of it. You can go a local hobbie shop and get a simulator or buy a Model airplane news or RCModeler magazine and you'll find a lot of ads for products - even complete kits for starters like yourself. As for the buddy box it is really quite simple - your transmitter must have this capability - then you have to find someone with the same brand transmitter (this is why you should contact a club first before you buy anything because then they can advise you on what type to buy) - your transmitter is the one that will fly your plane (this will be used by your instructor) the other compatible transmitter you will use (it is not powerd (turned on) and does not matter what frequancy it's on compared to yours. You also want to make sure the person who is going to help you with this also has the patch cord to conect the two transmitters or you may have to buy your own. As for the insurance in essence yes it is just liability. Your transmitter if bought new will have a warrenty (usually 1yr). Check your house ins plicy for coverage on the plkanes while at home or away , you might have to put a rider on the policy to cover them for fire , theft etc. So get your simulator and get some help before you buy. My advice and 2 cents.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:51 AM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

A club is the way to go! you will make lots of new friends! the real flight G2 is a great sim. check tower hobbies web site. it has been a great help to me! Visit the local clubs before you buy a plane or radio and find out what they use there. It makes the buddy box connection more convenient.

welcome, good luck and good flying
Old 05-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Montague

I honestly don't know if there are guys at the fields in VA during the week. I imagine there are. We have a small group of "regulars" who appear at the field after work on most every night the weather is good, I can't imagine it's much different down there.

Still, you'll want to talk to their instructors about when they are available. Up here in Laurel, MD, we have "beginner night" every Tuesday night. It's a bit of a drive from Tysons (and there are clubs closer to you, that's for sure), but you're welcome if you want to make the trip. Our club allows "guest" flyers a couple of times to the field, and AMA (the insurance) is a must-have. Check out the AMA website, it has info on joining and just what the insurance covers and doesn't. If it's not on the site, you can try emailing the folks at AMA, they've always answered my email quickly and with lots of information.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:38 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by Montague
...Check out the AMA website...
AMA Website
Old 05-29-2003, 09:57 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

look at towerhobbies.com and look at the great planes real flight G2 sim. It comes with the transmitter and is a pretty good sim. I use it quite a bit for both fun and learning new things on my heli, and I have been flying over 27 years. It will help you outl I would also find a flying club where you are moving and go meet them and make some friends. I am sure they would help you out in the afternoons till you solo. This will save you lots of money. You can learn on a sim and then fly the plane, but they can help you with setup and other questions.

Yes, the radio companies do warrenty the radios, but not against a crash, which will probably happen very quickly if you fly alone. You will get a lot from a club. If you need help finding one where you are going, the AMA website will point you in the right direction. Its a great hobby. Have fun with it. You will meet some great friends with it.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:24 AM
crossed thumbs-delete

panhandler80.

There has been a lot of advise in the preceding posts. I hope you will take another look at this hobby. You will waste money and be a danger to the general public if you do not find a field where you will receive competent training and advise. If you still plan on flying any where you think you have room please try another hobby. RC Airplanes are not to be taken lightly. People who do not know what they are doing tend to loose body parts such as fingers. I have see a newbie fly right in to another person hitting him in the face. Took over 100 stitches and almost one eye. Thank goodness he had special insurance because the medical bill was over $5000.00 dollars. Saw a plane go right straight through a pickups side door and lodge into the other door from the inside. Again think real hard about you being able to learn on your own.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:14 AM
Panhandler80

thanks everyone. you've all been a great help.

i'm going to be in annapolis this weekend and Fl the next, but during the weeks between, I may go ahead and contact a few clubs around here and see what type of equipment they use, if people are available to help teach and when, any required experience, etc. from what i've gathered is best to have a set up (AMA membership, club membership thats near, offers help) and buy a plane based on what your "set up" dictates. ie: type of eqiupment used at club, type of trainor people there recomend most, things i may learn between now and then.

crossed thumbs. i'm not planning to learn on my own. the joing a club thing...i've realized that point, and plan on doing exactly that. thanks. i have no intention to just find a field around here and put a plane in the air. i wouldn't do it now, nor would i do it 20 years from now as a pro. sorry if i seemed to indicate that in my first post before knowing anything about the sport. the reason i got on here and have asked questions is to get paint some sort of picture regarding laws, saftey measures, etiquette, time commitment and the like.

as always: additional thoughts welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.