Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for a new FAST Airplane

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for a new FAST Airplane

Hello again, So I'm shopping for a Airplane that Hauls Butt.. I need something that moves faster than 90mph...any one know of any good stable planes?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Looking for a new FAST Airplane

GP Revolver, H9 Sundowner, pretty much any P-51, GP Cosmic Wind Minnow or Little Tony, WM T-34 with a good running .46-.55, Parkzone Stryker, GP Patriot, Phoenix F-20 Tigershark, and many others. Even simple sport planes like the super Sportster can be pretty fast when tuned and propped right.

Problem is most of these planes are considered more advanced. You didn't mention experience level and that's a determining factor too. If your ready for a 3rd or 4th planeshould be no problem. For a second plane though, you may want to avoid most of them.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 PM
draftman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes on what Chuckw said as far as experiance. check out the tower viper 500. my buddy has one and he put on a 46ax, this thing is fast!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 AM
TZflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am busy building a SIG wonder.
My friend has completed his and with the right engine its blazing faaaaast.
Also have a look at a lanier shrike (if you can get one!)
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THe question should be why does he need to go fast? And is this an appropriate question for the beginners forum?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Hello again, So I'm shopping for a Airplane that Hauls Butt.. I need something that moves faster than 90mph...any one know of any good stable planes?

These are a Hoot!!!

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/outlaw.html
Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why is it so many people on this forum have a knee jerk reaction and go into "granny" mode telling him "You young whipersnappers, all you want to do is go fast It's dangerous! You'll kill someone? That reflects on our hobby! I'm calling the AMA!" Just let the guy get the plane he wants. If we were all so serious about flying safe we'd need to take away the right to fly from half the people that have been in this hobby for years and still crash regularly.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

Why is it so many people on this forum have a knee jerk reaction to enter "granny" mode? "You young whipersnappers, all you want to do is go fast It's dangerous! You'll kill someone? That reflects on our hobby! I'm calling the AMA!"
This is because this is the Beginner's forum. There are many discussions about planes that are perfectly acceptable in other forums on RCU that aren't appropriate here simply because of the scope of this forum. We are here to helps beginners get started in this hobby, and the planes that will help them get there.

Agree that this isn't an appropriate discussion in the beginner's forum. I'm going to lock this message. I encourage the original poster to re-ask his question in one of the RCU forums more suited for this discussion. We even have a forum completely dedicated to Extreme Speed Planes.

Ken
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

Why is it so many people on this forum have a knee jerk reaction to enter "granny" mode? "You young whipersnappers, all you want to do is go fast It's dangerous! You'll kill someone? That reflects on our hobby! I'm calling the AMA!"
Same reason brand new flyers dont want a trainer they want a pretty shiny new extra or mustang!!

blhollo I have a wonder built, come on over and try it out...even though I sponsor the 1/2a reedy race (.049) I'm not a speed freak,,one of our pilots brought one of the Magnums with a piped rossi on it,,man that thing takes up a lot of space fast, cool, but not for me, I like my Herr extra with a .15 on it,, ....Rog
Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the Venus 40 with a 55AX and an 11x8 would rip pretty good.

I have to agree with what was said above. When I started I wanted a cool plane, not a trainer. I sucked it up and followed the progression you guys suggested and am very thankful; had I gotten a Sundowner for #2, it would not have lasted a week.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM
speed367

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let me tell you I have allways over powered all my planes, in fact I have a little 25 size mustang that is so fast and crazy it makes othere pilots land till im done LOL..... Get the fastest craziest plane you can stand and have fun. Just remember to take it easy untill you are familiar with the handling and good luck. REMEMBER A FAST PLANE DOESNT ALLWAYS HAVE TO GO FAST !!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speed367

REMEMBER A FAST PLANE DOESNT ALLWAYS HAVE TO GO FAST !!!!!!!
YES IT DOES!! YES - YES- YES WHY ELSE BUY IT, SPEED

Oh sorry, got carried away there for a bit. Ahem, Uh, Yes do remember to throttle down ocasionally. Say to 99% or so.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
hogflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GP viper + TT .40 Pro = 125 mph + [X(] And it's AMA 424 legal too.

Sky Raider Mk II and OS .46 AX is a 90 - 95 mph combo. Then learn to go fast and turn left while holding 25' and you're set.

Hogflyer
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go over to Extreme speed prop planes and you can see what the real fast engine/plane combos are. You never stated what size of plane or engine you were thinking about so who can say. In the smaller ARFs then maybe A Viper 500 sold through Tower?? Any of the Quickies are hot planes. This forum really isn't the place to be asking about speed.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
blhollo2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GP viper + TT .40 Pro = 125 mph yep that sound about what im looking for, im into the 40 size speedsters, also I have PLENTY of slow planes..now is the time for speed.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
hogflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spend some time reading in the pylon Q-500 forum about setting up a pylon racer. You don't want the controls set up too high or you'll be in for a real handful on your maiden. Ask lots of questions to the pylon guys and you'll really get an eductaion - they are experts at setting them up.

Hogflyer
Old 11-20-2008, 03:25 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Diamond Dust
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
blhollo2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah im pretty impressed with the viper actually im gonna put a 46ax on it and get my giggity giggity giggity on! OH RITE!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Watch out for flutter, make sure all controls rods and hinges are nice and tight.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Delta3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi ghollo 2,

The viper is a good plane but they are a little soft in the middle, you may want to add a little light plywood in the mid section of the plane. Have seen them break in half in this area and the small amount of wood will protect your plane from cracking / breaking in this area
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Delta3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry blhollo2 for spelling your name incorrectly, its Friday and my brain is a little fried
Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
blhollo2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ah its ok lol I've been called worse from my wife!! anywho I just bought a GP VIPER and I have just mounted a .61 on it...yes I'm just that crazy...and reckless
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM
hogflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

ah its ok lol I've been called worse from my wife!! anywho I just bought a GP VIPER and I have just mounted a .61 on it...yes I'm just that crazy...and reckless
Its fast with a TT .40 Pro (the one I fly has been clocked on radar at 127 mph), a bit faster with a .46 AX, and with a Nelson .40 I'm sure it'll be closer to 165 mph. With a .61 I don' think you'll gain much speed if any at all, but it'll be a dog on landing due to all the added weight of the engine and the lead required to properly balance it. It lands fast with a very flat glide, and you'll most likely break it on landing (if not in the air) either pulling the gear off, breaking off the firewall or snapping the aft fuselage. You'll also have a fuel issue - it hold a 6 ounce tank which is plenty for racing, but a .61 will drink that up in just a few minutes.

Do yourself a favor, put a .40 in it, and ask question in the Quickie 500 forum about how to set the plane up properly. I seriously doubt you'll be happy with it with a .61 on it, but with a .40 its a good flying plane.

Hogflyer
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Adibac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It will be slower with a .60, if its speed you want, you need light weight and higher rpm's, check the max rpm,s on the engines you want to install.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM
blhollo2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Made the first flight today..that viper was fassssst fast is a under statement, it was so fast it wasnt fun to fly lol..clocked at 187mph the first time and the 2nd clock was 192mph and that was a flat pass..I was affraid to dive it. You guys were right, the balancing was a real pain and I had to reinforce it with carbonfiber tape, and the landing was even fast and hairy at 25-30mph, it was a real thrill to fly but the .61 is just too much power for it, it became a dot very quickly! im going to put a O.S.46 back on it and call it a day!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.